General Question about Belt Drive Turntables

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Kevlar might have higher resonance, which might be bad
Its not full kevlar, just enforced with some strands, i haven't tried mine yet, i like the sound of the Origin Live belt i use, but be careful when adjusting the motor position with you hair to close. I almost ended up looking like Kojak, luckily i had a pair of scissors close by or i would have starved to death. Broke the new belt and had to order a new one. :eek: IMG_2516.png

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter it is probably similar to the kevlar enforced thread you got from David. :) Same philosophy and identical not ! View attachment 125521

Milan, the knot looks different. There is an extra twist. I have not yet tried ddk’s thread in the longer length. I’m simply trying standard sewing thread initially. It is very thin.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
Its not full kevlar, just enforced with some strands, i haven't tried mine yet, i like the sound of the Origin Live belt i use, but be careful when adjusting the motor position with you hair to close. I almost ended up looking like Kojak, luckily i had a pair of scissors close by or i would have starved to death. Broke the new belt and had to order a new one. :eek: View attachment 125523

Is that the new album by the rock band Hair? :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Its not full kevlar, just enforced with some strands, i haven't tried mine yet, i like the sound of the Origin Live belt i use, but be careful when adjusting the motor position with you hair to close. I almost ended up looking like Kojak, luckily i had a pair of scissors close by or i would have starved to death. Broke the new belt and had to order a new one. :eek: View attachment 125523
Have you ever tried a chrome leather belt?. you're probably asking why. It has been used for machine drives for over 100 years. avantage no skip & slip effect from rubber belts. buy this one in the link. Take it to the shoemaker, have it cut width and length and sew the ends zig zag stiching by him. Then you report here how it sounds.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Frankfurter knot aka weaver knot

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ouch, that looks seriously savage Milan… thank heavens it’s not your groin hair. You might need an analogue health and safety hair net when working on your tt… still a better look though than wearing a whole of head safety tin foil cap when working with digital dongles :eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ouch, that looks seriously savage Milan… thank heavens it’s not your groin hair. You might need an analogue health and safety hair net when working on your tt… still a better look though than wearing a whole of head safety tin foil cap when working with digital dongles :eek:
I am a belt drive lover, but my groin is never close to the motor/belt ! ;)

thekong

May 10, 2012
@PeterA , @christensenleif@msn.com , Hi Peter, Lief, I also prefer inelastic belt / string, and using a Mylar belt on my Rockport Sirius II.

However, I have always had this question on the back on my mind regarding the Micro Seiki or similar strings. Since you have to tie a knot with these strings, there must be some sort of a bump when the knot goes through the pulley. I am pretty sure it is inaudible, but did you guys ever check it with instruments, or programs like the AnalogMagik , to see if it showed up in the measurements?

Another question for both of you is about the arrangement of the motor pot. As mentioned by @Salectric , many Platine Verdier users like to place the motor on a separate rack, yet Thom of Galibier was totally against it when I communicated with him many years ago, stating that if the motor pot is on a separate rack, then the floor vibration may cause the two racks to move slightly differently, causing a microscopic change in distance between the TT and motor, a change in belt tension, then a change in TT speed. That sounded quite logical to me!

Peter, in your case, while the TT and motor pot are on separate steel slabs, they all sit on the same rack top. So, in my eyes, they are still in some ways hard coupled together.

So my question to both Peter and Lief is whether you guys have tried putting the TT and motor on totally separate racks, and if so, do you hear any detrimental effect with this arrangement?

Thanks

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
However, I have always had this question on the back on my mind regarding the Micro Seiki or similar strings. Since you have to tie a knot with these strings, there must be some sort of a bump when the knot goes through the pulley. I am pretty sure it is inaudible, but did you guys ever check it with instruments, or programs like the AnalogMagik , to see if it showed up in the measurements?
Sorry, I jumped in but knot on the string is both audible and measurable. AM and other ios apps do detect slight deviation. I know it very well from my La Platine Verdier. Of course that doesn’t mean string sounds bad. IMHO it’s best to use a silk string without a knot like the one used on Kondo Ginga.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello thekong,
I do not hear any effect from the knot. It might be because of the loose thread tension, but I am not sure. I have not tried placing my motor unit on a separate rack. The two separate steel plates use different kinds of isolation underneath them. They are very stable but separate and now further apart. The steel plate between them supporting the control unit of the phono stage also serves to damp the top shelf of the rack.

These efforts are all matters of degree. Separate top shelves on the same rack would be another approach and perhaps the next step.

Reactions: thekong

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hello thekong,
I do not hear any effect from the knot. It might be because of the loose thread tension, but I am not sure. I have not tried placing my motor unit on a separate rack. The two separate steel plates use different kinds of isolation underneath them. They are very stable but separate and now further apart. The steel plate between them supporting the control unit of the phono stage also serves to damp the top shelf of the rack.

These efforts are all matters of degree. Separate top shelves on the same rack would be another approach and perhaps the next step.
Thanks Peter! I have never thought of separate top shelves on the same rack, certainly something to try !

thekong

May 10, 2012
Sorry, I jumped in but knot on the string is both audible and measurable. AM and other ios apps do detect slight deviation. I know it very well from my La Platine Verdier. Of course that doesn’t mean string sounds bad. IMHO it’s best to use a silk string without a knot like the one used on Kondo Ginga.
Hi mtemur, thanks for the reply! I have no experience with the Kondo’s silk string, no knot is certainly great, is it custom made? Any idea where I can get some to try?

Thanks

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Hi mtemur, thanks for the reply! I have no experience with the Kondo’s silk string, no knot is certainly great, is it custom made? Any idea where I can get some to try?

Thanks
I’m sure it’s custom made for Kondo but I doubt that it’s sold separately. Maybe it can be bought directly from the supplier. IMHO it’s worth to ask local Kondo dealer.

Reactions: thekong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing