General Question about Belt Drive Turntables

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
My Melco plinth is placed on a separate marine MDF slab that is placed on 200Kg sorbothane pucks on a 70mm African mahogany top shelf in the rack
The motor unit is placed directly on same mahogany top shelf
reg the knot; I can feel it with my fingertip on the outside of the thread, but not on the inside IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1690.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    681.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: PeterA and thekong

thekong

May 10, 2012
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
btw when I had tt in living room I had motor assy on top of separate VPI rack and plinth on other.....couldn´t detect any results from assymmetrical movements in separate racks
but sonic profit from getting all sources and most of the electronics into adjacent separate machine room was dramatic

Reactions: Lagonda and thekong

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I served on board of Guppy IIA, Tang, Type209 and Type209 Mod1400 class submarines.
Now there is a thread tangent I never expected!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You do get the background though - They got so used to sitting in enclosed chamber using a sonic radar, listening to the same echo of the same sonic signal - so you can see how that experience translates to get them where they currently are.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You do get the background though - They got so used to sitting in enclosed chamber using a sonic radar, listening to the same echo of the same sonic signal - so you can see how that experience translates to get them where they currently are.
Tone deaf?

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Thanks Peter! I have never thought of separate top shelves on the same rack, certainly something to try !
Hello the kong. I use this solution. on a solid tech table I replaced the last shelf with a 2.2 cm sheet of marine MDF. Above this I positioned a first 3 cm slab of marble then a 4 mm sheet of industrial rubber and on top of yet another 3 cm marble slab the last marble slab is cut with the final U-shaped part and the marble obtained from the U cut I had smoothed to 1 mm on each side in order to physically separate it from the rest of the slab and on this I positioned the motor unit of my VPI HR X. and the result is remarkable with a considerable increase in the dark background

Reactions: thekong

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
btw when I had tt in living room I had motor assy on top of separate VPI rack and plinth on other.....couldn´t detect any results from assymmetrical movements in separate racks
but sonic profit from getting all sources and most of the electronics into adjacent separate machine room was dramatic
Just getting sources and speakers of the same floor helps a lot, mine are actually on 2 separate parts of the foundation and absolutely no connecting wood flooring.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes it can be hard to keep the periscope on target at all times in some of the threads ! o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing