Belt Drive vs Direct Drive and which one?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's interesting that Nagra has sold 70 units in ~2 years, while in about the same period of time, I have heard that OMA has sold a grand total of 0 turntables (not counting Framer's).

Really? That would be quite something if true. And Fremer’s is not a production model. It is a prototype if I recall correctly.

there is also that new KL audio turntable with the automatic clamping system and fluid filled platter.

Adelmor

Nov 21, 2023
Imola, Italy
More pictures and comments on the drive system here:

In the cutaway, the blue ringed cylinder is one of the two motors. I don't understand what the other cylinders are, however?
Hi,

Are the blue barrels a kind of batteries?

Rgds
Adelmo

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The blue cylinders are supercaps. Also an interesting choice: to put them close to the motors, In addition to in the power supply.
Anyone know why? My only thought is to allow the motors to respond faster to current demands, like what a Shunyata power filter does with the Dynamic Current modules.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… well - since I started this and got so many great responses I thought I‘d let you know how things have ended due to a great opportunity that came up - with a Döhmann Helix Two mkII - couldn’t be happier

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
… well - since I started this and got so many great responses I thought I‘d let you know how things have ended due to a great opportunity that came up - with a Döhmann Helix Two mkII - couldn’t be happier
Congratulations on your new turntable! I'm certain you'll have many wonderful hours ahead, exploring your vinyl collection.

Reactions: skinnyfla

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have very limited experience with direct drive TTs, only having heard the new Thorens TD124dd and the EMT 950 in more than passing. I am more familiar with idler and belt drives, having experience with the best of the two breeds. I went to visit an elderly gentleman who has been collecting Western Electric gear for more than 40 years. He was the one who suggested his friend to start Line Magnetic to manufacture WE replicas, and also provided him with the drivers and amps to study. In his workshop/listening room, he has two Neumann VMS80 cutting lathes, and a VMS70. He uses one of the VMS80 as a turntable, with the original Neumann tonearm and DST cartridge. Speakers are original WE594 midrange and 597 tweeters, powered by Line Magnetic Tungar power supplies, and Altec 830 for bass. He uses a pair of Line Magnetic 18" field coil drivers as subwoofers. The speakers have first order crossovers and were driven by 212 tube monoblocks of his own design. At risk of sounding cliché, but the sound from LPs was the closest to the master tapes played with my Nagra T tape machine. It was the only time I heard the same scale and sense of rock solid stability that I thought until then was the exclusive domain of master tapes. It went well beyond even what the EMT 927 idler drive turntable, the best turntable I had heard before then , is capable of. IMG_6368.jpg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have very limited experience with direct drive TTs, only having heard the new Thorens TD124dd and the EMT 950 in more than passing. I am more familiar with idler and belt drives, having experience with the best of the two breeds. I went to visit an elderly gentleman who has been collecting Western Electric gear for more than 40 years. He was the one who suggested his friend to start Line Magnetic to manufacture WE replicas, and also provided him with the drivers and amps to study. In his workshop/listening room, he has two Neumann VMS80 cutting lathes, and a VMS70. He uses one of the VMS80 as a turntable, with the original Neumann tonearm and DST cartridge. Speakers are original WE594 midrange and 597 tweeters, powered by Line Magnetic Tungar power supplies, and Altec 830 for bass. He uses a pair of Line Magnetic 18" field coil drivers as subwoofers. The speakers have first order crossovers and were driven by 212 tube monoblocks of his own design. At risk of sounding cliché, but the sound from LPs was the closest to the master tapes played with my Nagra T tape machine. It was the only time I heard the same scale and sense of rock solid stability that I thought until then was the exclusive domain of master tapes. It went well beyond even what the EMT 927 idler drive turntable, the best turntable I had heard before then , is capable of. View attachment 127537
Those amps look complete beasts… what a crazy fabulous aesthetic going on there as well! Concrete and crystal chandeliers, Neumann carts, field coils and tungar supplies… a confident mix of modernist, exotic and vintage super luxe.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Those amps look complete beasts… what a crazy fabulous aesthetic going on there as well! Concrete and crystal chandeliers, Neumann carts, field coils and tungar supplies… a confident mix of modernist, exotic and vintage super luxe.
Quite surprisingly, the acoustics was great. No obvious treatment, and the subwoofers were not even noticeable until turned off. The guy has spent a lifetime collecting and perfecting his system.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… just wanted to share my experience - I am absolutely amazed by what the Döhmann Helix Two (got the mkII) does… I will never doubt the influence the TT has on the sound & system again… music just floats in the room and still has soooo much drive, power and richness… it’s all there… beautiful!!!

Reactions: Bergm@nn and XV-1

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
… just wanted to share my experience - I am absolutely amazed by what the Döhmann Helix Two (got the mkII) does… I will never doubt the influence the TT has on the sound & system again… music just floats in the room and still has soooo much drive, power and richness… it’s all there… beautiful!!!
This replaced your Balance? Can you describe the differences? Did you by any chance audition the Kronos Pro?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
This replaced your Balance? Can you describe the differences? Did you by any chance audition the Kronos Pro?
… no, the LaGrange… first I had consistent issues with speed stability with the LaGrange (not so with Döhmann), second the sound with Döhmann is just… more of everything… most important, it has an incredible drive and musicality… it seems smoother in the highs and mids, though just as or more resolving… greatest improvement is the bass though, the low end is just unbelievable… and it lets voices and instruments float in the air… the LaGrange was great and I lived with it for many years and thought it was a beautiful TT… but - to my taste, with my setup and in my room - the Döhmann just beats it on every level… I really can’t put it any other way…

Reactions: XV-1

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… didn‘t listen to the Kronos… found it hard to compare stuff outside of my room at different retailers TTs always equipped with something different, different arm, different cartridge, different phono stage, etc… in my room I have the direct comparison… tastes are different, to me the Döhmann was the right choice

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Congratulations!

Reactions: skinnyfla and sbo6

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats. I'm implementing your TT's Minus K isolation tech under my table shortly. I'm sure that plays a role in the music floating as I've heard another excellent table with a Minus K and it also had that airy ethereal quality to the vinyl. Enjoy!

Reactions: skinnyfla

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Coincidence, comparing Helix 2 with Reed 5T and atlas lambda to Vertere table and arm with Vertere cartridge.

can be compared at KJ west one in London

IMG_3910.jpeg

Last edited:

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
2 completely different tables and arms. I saw and quickly used the Reed 5T at last year's Axpona and thought it looked and sounded wonderful listening through some Franco Serblin Ktema speakers and Air Tight amps. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts between the 2 setups.
I recently got in the CS Port AFU1 arm, it's replacing a Kuzma Safir arm at the moment. In my short time with it it's a very sweet-sounding arm.

Attachments

• SOS AFU1.jpg
    SOS AFU1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2 completely different tables and arms. I saw and quickly used the Reed 5T at last year's Axpona and thought it looked and sounded wonderful listening through some Franco Serblin Ktema speakers and Air Tight amps. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts between the 2 setups.
I recently got in the CS Port AFU1 arm, it's replacing a Kuzma Safir arm at the moment. In my short time with it it's a very sweet-sounding arm.

I have compared the Dohmann helix 2 before to vyger and AF3p she the Helix 2 to STST motus 2
Post in thread 'Zero Distortion: Vyger'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zero-distortion-vyger.35529/post-841804

Also compared the Helix 1 at Anamighty to the CS port Tat 2 and others

In the above two, the Vertere sounded much more organic, with tone and glide, especially midrange and highs. I think it has to do more with the two carts though I couldn’t isolate. The Vertere tonearm is almost the price of the SAT but the cart is only 60% of the atlas.

If you like the CS port arm more than the Safir, you should also contact Steve dobbins to try the Schroeder LT. It is only 12.5k USD and he can let you compare it at his place to the first SAT.

Last edited:

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
If you like the CS port arm more than the Safir
At this point they both sound a bit different can't say which I like better. I can say that with my MSL Sig Platinum, it sounds better on the AFU1 than the Safir, a better match IMO but I still like the SoundSmith Sussurro Gold LE more on the Safir. Crazy how things change from arm to arm.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At this point they both sound a bit different can't say which I like better. I can say that with my MSL Sig Platinum, it sounds better on the AFU1 than the Safir, a better match IMO but I still like the SoundSmith Sussurro Gold LE more on the Safir. Crazy how things change from arm to arm.

if you can try the Dava field coil with the Safir. Kcin has that combination. ON CS port try the top wing red sparrow. It works awesome on the vyger linear tracker, much better than the MSL, but haven’t heard on CS but probably should work. It sounded poor on the pivots that I and my friends heard it on, also worked on the Bergman LT

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing