Belt Drive vs Direct Drive and which one?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
@bonzo75 Yes.
So was researching info on the Suzaku and came across this info on another Forum thread.

"The Top Wing Suzaku is clearly a moving magnet.
My understanding is that the low output is a consequence of using a very small coil to minimise capacitance and minimise inductance in the overall design - meaning the resonant frequency is very high, making the cartridge less susceptible to phase shifts in the high frequency compared to most MM's. The high frequency response in the audio band relatively unaffected by loading".

So I'm a bit confused. With its low output I'm assuming you must run it into a MC stage? Can you use a SUT with the Suzaku into a MM stage? Again just curious how it's being used.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
With its low output I'm assuming you must run it into a MC stage? Can you use a SUT with the Suzaku into a MM stage? Again just curious how it's being used.
AFAIK Suzaku used as connected to MC input of phono stage. At least the one I heard couple of times was used that way. Since it has very few turns in coils it might be possible to connect it to a SUT.
My understanding is that the low output is a consequence of using a very small coil to minimise capacitance and minimise inductance in the overall design - meaning the resonant frequency is very high, making the cartridge less susceptible to phase shifts in the high frequency compared to most MM's. The high frequency response in the audio band relatively unaffected by loading".
Spot on description IMHO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
He mentioned Helix 1 - I don't know what the visual difference is.
THey are visually different...have a look on the Dohmann website.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
THey are visually different...have a look on the Dohmann website.
ok, just emailed the manager, it was a Helix 2. My confusion

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
So was researching info on the Suzaku and came across this info on another Forum thread.

So I'm a bit confused. With its low output I'm assuming you must run it into a MC stage? Can you use a SUT with the Suzaku into a MM stage? Again just curious how it's being used.

A SUT ( matched) will be sonically superior than going into your MC stage IMO ..

Regards

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Hate to side-track these discussions but who has had direct experience using the Top Wing Suzaku?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hate to side-track these discussions but who has had direct experience using the Top Wing Suzaku?

You will find a lot on the audioexotics forum on Thales statement.

PM Audioquattr, he does not post much here but hfas the RS on Vyger, many VDH master Strad and Grand Cru on AF3p, also the Airtight Opus and the Grado, and the Dava, and has had others pass through there. My friend Bill who is not on the forum anymore, and the General who obviously introduced it to him, me and audioquattr on the Vyger.

Vess now owns one with the Vyger, he also owns the Dava. You can PM Vess.

byrdparis owns it on the Vyger he also has many other carts and pivots.

I have had negative experiences too - as have had those who tried it with SME 3012r, SME V, Schroeder CB. Audioquattr loves it with the Vyger but was unable to get it to sing on his many pivots - he has Ikeda, 3012r, Graham Elite.

It is still more classical and jazz. If you want all rounded including on rock, try the Dava field coil. Both are very different sounds.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
You will find a lot on the audioexotics forum on Thales statement.

PM Audioquattr, he does not post much here but hfas the RS on Vyger, many VDH master Strad and Grand Cru on AF3p, also the Airtight Opus and the Grado, and the Dava, and has had others pass through there. My friend Bill who is not on the forum anymore, and the General who obviously introduced it to him, me and audioquattr on the Vyger.

Vess now owns one with the Vyger, he also owns the Dava. You can PM Vess.

byrdparis owns it on the Vyger he also has many other carts and pivots.

I have had negative experiences too - as have had those who tried it with SME 3012r, SME V, Schroeder CB. Audioquattr loves it with the Vyger but was unable to get it to sing on his many pivots - he has Ikeda, 3012r, Graham Elite.

It is still more classical and jazz. If you want all rounded including on rock, try the Dava field coil. Both are very different sounds.

Do you know what the cart resonance is on the arms it did not work on ..?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you know what the cart resonance is on the arms it did not work on ..?
the post you replied to, only one pattern is clearly jumping out.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Sorry for jumping in I heard Suzaku a couple of times with Thales and I’m not impressed at all. For me it’s a tweaked MM cartridge, vague, distant, not dynamic. YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry for jumping in I heard Suzaku a couple of times with Thales and I’m not impressed at all. For me it’s a tweaked MM cartridge, vague, distant, not dynamic. YMMV.

this is how it sounds badly set up - not dynamic, thin etched, lacking weight

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing