Best turntable under 50k?

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
You could have one TT with two or more arms for stereo and mono play back if physical space and or finances are limited !
That’s exactly what I’m planning to do.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy
Dec 15, 2021
As far as my monophonic listening experience is concerned, I allow myself to suggest that to enjoy the true merits of an authentic monophonic listening on vinyl, not only LPs with monophonic grooves are obviously indispensable, but also the preamplifier with mono stage.
Monophonic LPs are the offspring of 78s, not in terms of the material of the records (shellac) or their rotation speed, but in terms of the multitude of equalization (EQ) curves employed in their production. Instead of using only one curve, as in the case of the R.I.I.A. for all stereophonic LPs, in the pre-stereo era each record company owned its own monophonic EQ curve. Thus, Mercury, Decca, Columbia, EMI, Atlantic, Verve, Blue Note - to name the names of the most prestigious labels - transferred, with their own EQ, the tape to the lacquer disc; and since each mono curve was different from each other, and all different from the then future R.I.A.A. Mono LP from Mercury or EMI. The sound would be unbalanced at the band extremes: unpleasant high notes and intrusive lows, to give just a few examples. It is for this reason that mono LPs with mono grooves should not be played through our prephonos today... unless they also offer mono curves. The 'MONO' button found on the various preamps is therefore useless: it only couples the two stereo channels together and always with the stereophonic curve EQ (R.I.A.A). In other words: FAKE MONO! So, the first step is to look for a preamp that offers the main monophonic curves in order to access the correct listening to a greater number of LPs with mono grooves.
Also, note that mono cartridges don't all have the same load impedance.It is therefore very important to choose a pre that respects the technical characteristics of the cartridge. It is an important point and absolutely to be checked before any purchase. Some connoisseurs might disagree with me, but I think it's more important to focus on correct cartridge impedance matching to a pre that allows it, than to buy a pre top that doesn't offer the mono curve required by the cartridge. Do not under-evaluate this element, that matching is essential for correct listening.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
reading this thread and just wondering , that the

TechDAS AF3 Premium

is not mentioned.

Paired with a nice

Glanz MH-1200S

tonearm and a matching cartridge, like Phasemation PP-2000, the given budget would be perfectly matched.

c528ea73-299e-47c5-9871-ece839cc1d3c.JPG

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
As far as my monophonic listening experience is concerned, I allow myself to suggest that to enjoy the true merits of an authentic monophonic listening on vinyl, not only LPs with monophonic grooves are obviously indispensable, but also the preamplifier with mono stage.
Monophonic LPs are the offspring of 78s, not in terms of the material of the records (shellac) or their rotation speed, but in terms of the multitude of equalization (EQ) curves employed in their production. Instead of using only one curve, as in the case of the R.I.I.A. for all stereophonic LPs, in the pre-stereo era each record company owned its own monophonic EQ curve. Thus, Mercury, Decca, Columbia, EMI, Atlantic, Verve, Blue Note - to name the names of the most prestigious labels - transferred, with their own EQ, the tape to the lacquer disc; and since each mono curve was different from each other, and all different from the then future R.I.A.A. Mono LP from Mercury or EMI. The sound would be unbalanced at the band extremes: unpleasant high notes and intrusive lows, to give just a few examples. It is for this reason that mono LPs with mono grooves should not be played through our prephonos today... unless they also offer mono curves. The 'MONO' button found on the various preamps is therefore useless: it only couples the two stereo channels together and always with the stereophonic curve EQ (R.I.A.A). In other words: FAKE MONO! So, the first step is to look for a preamp that offers the main monophonic curves in order to access the correct listening to a greater number of LPs with mono grooves.
Also, note that mono cartridges don't all have the same load impedance.It is therefore very important to choose a pre that respects the technical characteristics of the cartridge. It is an important point and absolutely to be checked before any purchase. Some connoisseurs might disagree with me, but I think it's more important to focus on correct cartridge impedance matching to a pre that allows it, than to buy a pre top that doesn't offer the mono curve required by the cartridge. Do not under-evaluate this element, that matching is essential for correct listening.
Thanks and confirming that the D’Ag Momentum phono preamp does offer different EQ curves

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I guess you forgot to add a one channel amplifier and a single speaker to the list IOT totally eliminate “FAKE MONO” situation.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
My advice is not to spend all your money on a single turntable for several reasons. First, you need a turntable to play back mono records with a mono cartridge

There is certainly a pleasure and attraction in a dedicated vintage Mono system. It seems more and more that serious guys are taking a keen interest in this direction. A friend (Some may know on here) with quite some experience in high end has been quietly amassing the finest collection of 301's and 401's...(He's using a push button 401 for STEREO)

11.jpeg
11+.jpeg

analogue-delights

Sep 29, 2018
In the bottom picture in the section one above the Duke Jordan, are those Epic Stereoramas?

As I can see the A and part of the C and most of the Stereorama logo may I assume that section is George Szell?

If so I believe they are stereo presses done before the UK Columbia. Is that right?

• Love
Reactions: bonzo75

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Yes, yes and yes.

Apologies to the OP for the tangent. Also please do speak to friends and pros when it comes to advice on what to buy and why. Most here are very helpful and honestly driven.

Kindest regards and enjoy the journey,G.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
reading this thread and just wondering , that the

TechDAS AF3 Premium

is not mentioned.

Paired with a nice

Glanz MH-1200S

tonearm and a matching cartridge, like Phasemation PP-2000, the given budget would be perfectly matched.

View attachment 101486
ref post #35
I was going to see a TechDAS Airforce III with the 35kg gunmetal platter I was offered at a good price
when I saw it IRL I was totally put off and thought it looked plastic-like and bling and just turned and left

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
There is certainly a pleasure and attraction in a dedicated vintage Mono system. It seems more and more that serious guys are taking a keen interest in this direction. A friend (Some may know on here) with quite some experience in high end has been quietly amassing the finest collection of 301's and 401's...(He's using a push button 401 for STEREO)

View attachment 101491
View attachment 101492
If I may enquire Why !!! What is the aim of such wanton gluttony.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
If I may enquire Why !!! What is the aim of such wanton gluttony.
For guys who are earnest and serious in terms of vintage Garrards, getting to grips with the various types of 301 and 401, living with them and appreciating what they can do and what makes them interesting makes a certain sense. Opinions not based on lived experience can often be a little 1D.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Garrard were the jewellers to the Queen and now the King of England.

They supplied the BBC and others hence curiosity about the deck lead me to collecting artifacts.

Motherwell and Rothko would approve of my chosen aesthetic.

Kindest regards,G.

Reactions: Agrail

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Garrard were the jewellers to the Queen and now the King of England.

They supplied the BBC and others hence curiosity about the deck lead me to collecting artifacts.

Motherwell and Rothko would approve of my chosen aesthetic.

Kindest regards,G.

General, I remember you had a VYGER turntable that people like Kedar seemed to really enjoy hearing in your system. Do you now prefer the Garrard?

Reactions: christoph

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Peter A,

Dear Sir you are partly to blame as the drool worthy bar you set aesthetically could not go unseen.

When I saw what I believe to be a very nubile you flanked by an extremely sophisticated mother?

I told myself that I would not be outdone by Boston's answer to "Dickie Greenleaf".

The subtle post may have been missed? Not by me, serving as a thorn the muse begat the answer. As such I have an ample supply of Garrard, open and closed fireplaces to return serve.

KIndest regards,G.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter A,

Dear Sir you are partly to blame as the drool worthy bar you set aesthetically could not go unseen.

When I saw what I believe to be a very nubile you flanked by an extremely sophisticated mother?

I told myself that I would not be outdone by Boston's answer to "Dickie Greenleaf".

The subtle post may have been missed? Not by me, serving as a thorn the muse begat the answer. As such I have an ample supply of Garrard, open and closed fireplaces to return serve.

KIndest regards,G.

Well, I love the reference to The Talented Mr. Ripley. Oh that sailboat, the companion, and waters in which to enjoy them! The bar was set by someone else, but there are variations. I drool over records now, both rare and unknown to me.

I will ask you elsewhere about the subtle post and sophisticated mother. Such fun.

Peter

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Sir why buy one for fifty when one can have fifteen?

The 301/401 combo with the Elysium amps have revived my faith in audio and the people that do it properly.

The Z-Axis Symetrica power supply and cables have cemented that faith. Thank you all again.

Kindest regards,G.
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to collaborate with others in restoring your faith in audio, small manufacturers such as us with serious product lines always find it a mountain to climb to get this opportunity..

Your system peaked at such a high level it triggered a reset in my brain..

Season greetings, P//

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
IMG_1889.jpg

Reactions: aangen and shakti

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing