Best bang for the buck used speakers under $50k ?

smodtactical

Sep 15, 2018
Looking for an upgrade over my paradigm signature s8v2s. Want to spend max $50k but hopefully get a used speaker that has an MSRP that is much more or a sonic quality that makes it worth much more.

So far speakers im considering:

Most interested =====
Nola concert grand reference
Rockport Cygnus
Focal stella utopia 2 EM

Somewhat interested =====
Von Schweikert VR10
TAD Reference 1
Magico S5 MK2
Magico M3
Revel Salon 2
Lumenwhite Kyara
Canton 1k
Paradigm Persona 9H
Dynaudio evdience platinum
MBL 101e
Peak consult Kepheus
Surrountec monolog

Of this list I only heard stella evo (not the old gen in this list, and I enjoyed it). I enjoy detailed sound but also some warmth and bass impact and extension. Listen to mostly Jazz, classical, ambient some techno/house. Rest of system will probably need an upgrade but its bryston 4bsst x 2 (with sst2 mobos), denafrips terminator, audio gd he9 (preamp), sotm 200 ultra streamer.

Thanks.

Reactions: Mr P

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
If you could find a pair of Magico S5 Mk2's in good shape, they are one of the best value high end speakers under $40k (along with the Wilson Sasha Daw), and even moreso 2nd hand. They're a very 'complete' speaker with no weak links I've been able to find yet. They are the most coherent of speakers, have excellent detailed bass, and are very transparent sounding. The drivers are fast & almost electrostatic-like. The diamond-coated BE tweeters are very smooth and detailed & image very well. The speakers have notably good off-axis response compared to the old Mk1's (something I loved about my previous Infinity Renaissance 90's). I recommend the optional SPods with these speakers which further lock in the bass and are the icing on the cake. I wouldn't call these speakers warm. They have a touch of warmth, but I would say the previous Mk1's sounded warmer. Though to me the Mk2's have more accurate tonality which I prefer.

That said, the Magico M3 do jazz very well and sound a touch warmer than the S5 Mk2's, hence you may prefer them. But the S5 Mk2's have the exact same midrange drivers as the M3 & have better bass imho, though it depends on how big your room is. In a small-medium size room that would be a moot point. The new Magico M2 would be better again in a small or small-medium size room, though it could be a while before ex-demo or used pairs start coming up FS. In a medium or medium-large room, of the speakers you mentioned, I would probably pick the Rockport Cygnus if you could find a used pair. Though I haven't heard any Rockports, so I'd have to audition them to know how they compare to the S5 Mk2's. The most obvious difference is sealed box vs reflex designs. Though reflex done well (eg: Marten) can sound as good as a sealed box design. Around the same price point as the Cygnus, you should also consider the Wilson Alexia Series 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: smodtactical

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Want to spend max $50k ....

For a second I read it as fifty dollars. :)

All I can say is at that price point the speakers seem to be all about impressing people and putting them in awe.

That's great but not exactly snuggle up with your favorite musical artists time.

All that boldness and need to achieve makes me feel like a captive, like hey buddy you are not going anywhere, this is perfect reproduction and you are obligated to pay homage to our greatness.

Can speakers be authoritarian?

Can they cop an attitude?

50k speakers taunt me, they know that I'll never have them yet they flirt with me anyway - so cruel.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I had to make the same decision a while ago with the same 50K budget. I opted for Wilson Alexandria S2's, which can now be had for a bit under 50K. Satisfied many of my criteria nicely. The key is to hear them in a proper set-up. Not as easy as you might think. Good luck in your search.

smodtactical

Sep 15, 2018
Thanks for the great suggestions. I do have a small room, 12 x 16 x 8 ft so s5 mk 2 is a good option. I can get them mint for 22k usd.

smodtactical

Sep 15, 2018
I had to make the same decision a while ago with the same 50K budget. I opted for Wilson Alexandria S2's, which can now be had for a bit under 50K. Satisfied many of my criteria nicely. The key is to hear them in a proper set-up. Not as easy as you might think. Good luck in your search.

Heard lot of mixed things about wilson but I'd like to have a listen.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I will also say go for the Magico S5 MK2. However, you can get them new for less than $50K.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, smodtactical!

On your original list I vote for the Rockport Cygnus!

Off of your list I vote for the Magnepan MG-20.7 and a “six pack” of REL G1 Mk. IIs.

Reactions: sujay

smodtactical

Sep 15, 2018
Welcome to WBF, smodtactical!

On your original list I vote for the Rockport Cygnus!

Off of your list I vote for the Magnepan MG-20.7 and a “six pack” of REL G1 Mk. IIs.

Interesting you say this. The guy selling the cygnus also has the rel six pack in his listening room :D

Out of my price range but the Rockport Lyra looks awesome... and... (***cough*** rockport arrakis)

I would love to hear magnepans! Thanks for the suggestion man and appreciate your website.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Never heard a Q3, so I can’t say. However, I think the S5 is newer technology than the Q3. If so then that’s another point to consider.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Get the Cygnus and the REL 6 pack!

Reactions: sujay

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Cake Audio in Southern California is offering a steal: Rockport Altair II for about $40,000!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Cake Audio in Southern California is offering a steal: Rockport Altair II for about $40,000!

Hard to drive speakers, side firing woofer may require painstaking set-up in the room.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, they need power. But they are not hard to position.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing