A Relentless Experience with D'Agostino and YG Acoustics @ Alma

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Room is about 29 by 27.
And yes, the Relentless are big... And heavy! My poor back knows this all too well...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Who here is going to be at Alma’s on Saturday?
Might be nice to match a name to a face, I will be there in the early afternoon.Possibly in the late morning.
Anyone coming down from the LA audio society?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Those Relentless are kinda big, yes?
True, they are huge :eek:

But the other monos are extremely tiny.
I saw them at the Swiss High End and they are not even as big as a shoe of mine is long ;)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Fantastic photo. I love the triptick of the LP for the front wall decoration. Are those three panels sound absorbing or diffusing? If only I were close enough to attend the demonstrations. I wish you success with this system. It must sound incredible.

Thanks, Peter!
The panels are acoustic absorbers. We'll have more information up on our website about them soon. You can print any (high resolution) image on them, like we did, and they can be made in different sizes as well (not as big as that one).

cheers,
Alex

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Alex and Fabio, thanks for the tremendous demo today of the YG XV'1s and the new D'AG Relentless mono blocks. The Relentless amps are certainly one massive amp! One isn't really quite aware of exactly how large they are until you see them in person. Here are a couple of pics that I took to try and show the scope and size...

The YG's were imo the star of the show, but certainly the Dag's were a great match up to these speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 34

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Great you went, Davey. :)

I thought I would make it late afternoon and even contemplated schlepping a Studer A-810 and tapes,

but didn't make it, after all.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great you went, Davey. :)

I thought I would make it late afternoon and even contemplated schlepping a Studer A-810 and tapes,
but didn't make it, after all.
Hi Sam,

Pity you didn’t make it, the big system, and I think that is a really great way to describe it, was sounding really good. The YG’s in the large Alma room were well suited to this size of room. Even the huge DAg’s were appropriately sized, lol.
I think a Studer 810 with some great tapes would have really pushed it up a notch, but the Bergmann Gauder with Air Tight Opus 1 and Odin arm was doing great on vinyl.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Oh, I forgot about the Bergmann and Air Tight -- ugh! The PC-1 Supreme is one of my favorite cartridges.
If I'm not mistaken, the YG/Dag combo leaves this weekend. It would have been fun to hear those behemoth monoblocks.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sam,

Sorry you couldn't come! The amps and speakers need to go, unfortunately...
We've always thought of doing tape during one of those events, and today would've been ideal, as we basically just played music on the big rig all day.
But I'll keep you mind for future events, perhaps we can work things out and have one of those awesome Studers over here!

cheers,
alex

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Alex,

I understand. :) I would be happy to loan you my Studer A-810 for these events, if it fits your business model.

There will be other times...of that -- I'm certain!

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hello Alex, would it be possible for you to share your impressions on the most significant sonic differences between the Relentless and Momentum amps (and other amps you are familiar with)?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

Besides the obvious (almost 4x the power), what was most striking on the Relentless was the resolution/transparency.

I have never heard as much detail as with them. But it's not hyper-detail or negative-feedback induced "sharpness". With 100W of Class A, it was detailed, yet warm and delicate, with zero "etching" or fatigue.

Dan really took a turn towards musicality with his amps starting with the Momentum, and with the Relentless, he was finally able to marry unlimited power and true musicality.

Now I get what the big darTZeels provide to our Mike L., that sense of having no limits, with the music growing and growing and everything staying put, the 3D imaging intact, no flattening, no aggressiveness.

It took me a while to adjust to that new reality, and I sort of kept the volume control conservative. But when Dan came in, he kept telling me to put the volume up and up, and we reached 100dB+ peaks easily, with no strain on the amps or the speaker.

In short: amazing.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

Besides the obvious (almost 4x the power), what was most striking on the Relentless was the resolution/transparency.

I have never heard as much detail as with them. But it's not hyper-detail or negative-feedback induced "sharpness". With 100W of Class A, it was detailed, yet warm and delicate, with zero "etching" or fatigue.

Dan really took a turn towards musicality with his amps starting with the Momentum, and with the Relentless, he was finally able to marry unlimited power and true musicality.

Now I get what the big darTZeels provide to our Mike L., that sense of having no limits, with the music growing and growing and everything staying put, the 3D imaging intact, no flattening, no aggressiveness.

It took me a while to adjust to that new reality, and I sort of kept the volume control conservative. But when Dan came in, he kept telling me to put the volume up and up, and we reached 100dB+ peaks easily, with no strain on the amps or the speaker.

In short: amazing.

Hello Alex, many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback. They seem to be combining very high levels of resolution, transparency AND musicality. Must have been hugely enjoyable experience. Cheers.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hello Alex, many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback. They seem to be combining very high levels of resolution, transparency AND musicality. Must have been hugely enjoyable experience. Cheers.

Indeed! It was a very busy and exhausting week, but also very enjoyable! I mean, it's not everyday you have one of those defining moments in your audiophile path, and I surely had more than a few of those these last couple of days!

Last night, listening to my old Genesis albums (digital, early CDs, too tired to reach for my LPs), I was simply blown away. I mean, I've been listening to those albums since I was a kid, and I heard so many new nuances (a mellotron accent here, a flute bit there, a new guitar/bass part I've never noticed before) in those old songs that I was truly in awe.

I live for these moments, and all the work and stress are absolutely worth it! I just hope now that some of you guys will be able to experience the YG/Relentless combination at some point, or at least one of the two separately. These are truly special products.

Reactions: ashandger

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing