Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For those who couldn't come, here's how the whole room looked like:

PSX_20181121_163251.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, I see you have a lot of ceiling acoustic treatment panels, do you feel these really help?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Alex, I see you have a lot of ceiling acoustic treatment panels, do you feel these really help?

Usually it's just to gaze at while listening to music

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Marc,

Yes, they do, as part of the overall project we had for this room.
The acoustician is your friend, we didn’t try to guess which panels go where... :)

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Silly question (especially if already asked/answered)....what were Dan's thoughts on the sound?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
He liked it very much. He's obviously a Wilson Audio guy, but he does have 2 YGs as well, that he decided to buy upon first listening to them in an event in our store, about 2 years ago.

I was driving the volume during the music playing, and Dan kept signaling me to raise the volume, repeatedly! And that's because *I* listen fairly loud already :)

But that system could surely go where few others can, in terms of "keeping it together" at extremely loud volumes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dan is obviously an apogee guy

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Alex,
I'm hearing the Relentless amps, XLF, and Select II tomorrow. Same amps you used I believe.\

Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yep, we shipped them to TX indeed.

Don't miss it, they are truly something special!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And here's another report, this time from Kirk / TAS

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...and-alma-music-audio-demonstrate-mega-system/

Quick quote: "How did it all sound? In a word, marvelous. The first sonic characteristics to get my attention were the sheer massiveness and impact of the presentation. The vastness of the soundscape and the solidity and clarity of the individual images within that space were among the best I have experienced. It is more difficult to fill a large space with well-balanced music than it is a medium-sized one."

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...and-alma-music-audio-demonstrate-mega-system/

Quick quote: "How did it all sound? [...] It is more difficult to fill a large space with well-balanced music than it is a medium-sized one."

'More difficult' is an understatement. MUCH, MUCH more difficult.

I used to regret that my room is only 24 x 12 (13.5 x at window bay) x 8.5 feet, but meanwhile I have discovered that this has huge advantages -- unless I'd be able to spend multiples of the money that I did on my system.

That this system authoritatively can fill such a large space -- impressive.

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California

Quick quote: "How did it all sound? In a word, marvelous. The first sonic characteristics to get my attention were the sheer massiveness and impact of the presentation. The vastness of the soundscape and the solidity and clarity of the individual images within that space were among the best I have experienced. It is more difficult to fill a large space with well-balanced music than it is a medium-sized one."
Good Job!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
What audio shop in TX has (had?) the Relentless/XLFs?
I’m in Austin and would like to hear this setup.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
What audio shop in TX has (had?) the Relentless/XLFs?
I’m in Austin and would like to hear this setup.

Iconic Audio in Houston hosted the event at a client's home. I've never seen this amount of equipment in one room, ever. Relentless monos, XLF, 2 Thor powered by M400, MSB Select ii, Aurender W20. All Magnum Opus cabling. It was visceral!

Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Iconic Audio in Houston hosted the event at a client's home. I've never seen this amount of equipment in one room, ever. Relentless monos, XLF, 2 Thor powered by M400, MSB Select ii, Aurender W20. All Magnum Opus cabling. It was visceral!

Dave

Love the word! I'm going to start using to describe my experience with the Relentless here (as well as the WAMM at David Wilson's home).... VISCERAL!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
When I first heard the Relentless at Paragon back in October they were paired with a system very similar to what was exhibited at Iconic in Houston. About the only difference was a dCS stack instead of MSB and a few tracks on a Clearaudio Statement. The next time I hear the Relentless will be when the owner receives his WAMM's towards the end of next month.

Also Congratulations to ALMA for demoing the gear in such an amazing looking room. I am sure it sounds even better. That is a room that deserves the Relentless amps.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Love the word! I'm going to start using to describe my experience with the Relentless here (as well as the WAMM at David Wilson's home).... VISCERAL!

My aural memory fades pretty quickly but I won't soon forget the impact this system had on my ears and body for some time. It was an experience! I imagine I'll hear the WAMM there soon enough.

Dave

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
He got the WAMMs! I'll hear them tonight with new Master Subsonics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing