SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

paulkwan

Jan 12, 2016
7. Near the end of the gathering when all of us were tired and wanted to go home, we were listening to a SOtMx2 connected with optical fiber.

I suggested to test a last tweak : to replace a cheap ethernet cable which was connecting the music file NAS to the SOtM1 with a Vertere HB ethernet cable.

All the attendees were wakened up by the sudden surge/improvement of sound quality. The Vertere gave the music back much richness and musicality!

This was a surprise, telling us that every steps/components in the network pathway did matter!

Do you think that making a CAS system to sound good is more difficult than to do so for a LP playback system? Haha
:p

Hi CKKeung,
I read you guys' report repeatedly, very enjoyable and enlights me in my ways.
I'm using melco s100 switch between my Synology Roon core / music storage and dCS Bartok, s100 to Bartok use Shunyata Sigma lan cable, but s100 to NAS use a cat8 professional cable only.
I find the SQ is still a bit below my CD transport to Mutec to dCS, so wonder if i shall upgrade the NAS to switch cable could help, and model or level of cabke shall i use ?

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Hi,

What an amazing (and lengthy) review. I was drawn to the review as ive been reading up on the benefits of running 2 switches.

I myself use an sNH-10G with evo caps/paper upgrade (I did add the external clock too but dont currently use the functionality) and an sps-500 power supply. I also have the sotm cat 7 connecting the 10g to my Antipodes CX

Now im not sure if I missed it (it was a lengthy review) what do you find the preferred stack to be? 2xsotm or sotm>EtherREGEN?

Im pretty sure I will demo/replace my sps-500 with a farad super 3 at some point too.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I posted this in the other thread (for antipodes EX/CX combo). This is my current setup. I use two sotm switches and I highly recommend 2 instead of 1

Attachments

• Untitled Diagram-2.png
    Untitled Diagram-2.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 78

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi,

What an amazing (and lengthy) review. I was drawn to the review as ive been reading up on the benefits of running 2 switches.

I myself use an sNH-10G with evo caps/paper upgrade (I did add the external clock too but dont currently use the functionality) and an sps-500 power supply. I also have the sotm cat 7 connecting the 10g to my Antipodes CX

Now im not sure if I missed it (it was a lengthy review) what do you find the preferred stack to be? 2xsotm or sotm>EtherREGEN?

Im pretty sure I will demo/replace my sps-500 with a farad super 3 at some point too.

Thanks
Bill
My personal preference is SOtMx2 or SOtM+Melco S100.
:)

Reactions: cczer017

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
[
Hi CKKeung,
I read you guys' report repeatedly, very enjoyable and enlights me in my ways.
I'm using melco s100 switch between my Synology Roon core / music storage and dCS Bartok, s100 to Bartok use Shunyata Sigma lan cable, but s100 to NAS use a cat8 professional cable only.
I find the SQ is still a bit below my CD transport to Mutec to dCS, so wonder if i shall upgrade the NAS to switch cable could help, and model or level of cabke shall i use ?
Yes of course!
It has become the bottleneck of the network pathway in your audio system.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I posted this in the other thread (for antipodes EX/CX combo). This is my current setup. I use two sotm switches and I highly recommend 2 instead of 1
Hello Darmstadtium,
A nice EX/CX setup you have!

Have you tried moving the CX to the upstream SOtM switch and let the downstream SOtM switch to connect to the EX?

Several friends of mine found that putting an audiophile switch between their dual diy CAS desktops in HQPlayer HQ-NAA mode gave significant sonic improvement.

Reactions: cczer017

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Hello Darmstadtium,

Have you tried moving the CX to the upstream SOtM switch and let the downstream SOtM switch to connect to the EX?

Several friends of mine found that putting an audiophile switch between their dual diy CAS desktops in HQPlayer HQ-NAA mode gave significant sonic improvement.

Sounds interesting adding one there. Food for thought

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hello Darmstadtium,

. I have tried various different combination and permutations over the last 6 months and finally settled on this setup. Reg your suggestion , I did initially like that option but after a few days I went back to my original (and my current) setup. It’s not a huge difference ,perhaps just a slightly different presentation of the soundstage which I didn’t prefer.
btw I use a single Akiko stunning stick wrapped to my usb cable and XLR3 and they make a difference. Sorry couldn’t really represent that in the diagram.

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Thats something else ive learned about today....Akiko tuning sticks.... Never heard of those before

On the subject of Network Bridges, if I just need the 1 SFP, is there any reason why this wouldnt be up to the job? If not, is it to do with its only 5v power?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10Gtek-Con...rds=network+bridge+sfp&qid=1589742601&sr=8-29

If more power is needed, what about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-M...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Is the Cisco 2960 still the preferred choice for a fibre bridge?....and is the 8TC variant an option?

Thanks

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Thats something else ive learned about today....Akiko tuning sticks.... Never heard of those before

On the subject of Network Bridges, if I just need the 1 SFP, is there any reason why this wouldnt be up to the job? If not, is it to do with its only 5v power?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10Gtek-Con...rds=network+bridge+sfp&qid=1589742601&sr=8-29

If more power is needed, what about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-M...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Is the Cisco 2960 still the preferred choice for a fibre bridge?....and is the 8TC variant an option?

Thanks

Is there anyone that can help here? I dont want to buy something to be told...."you shouldnt have bought that"

Thanks

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
@CKKeung
what SFP module would you recommend for connecting to the SOTM switch ? I am currently using cheap Cisco rebuilt ones from usecisco.com and was wondering to go Startech or planet tech

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
My Planet tech SFP should be coming in soon, it left the States a month ago and I got an update yesterday saying it left Taiwan enroute to Singapore. Best bet I reckon is Friday delivery. As I was writing this reply, email came in it has left Changi Airport.

Oh my the anticipation.......special thanks to Ken who made this happen.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
@CKKeung
what SFP module would you recommend for connecting to the SOTM switch ? I am currently using cheap Cisco rebuilt ones from usecisco.com and was wondering to go Startech or planet tech
Yes, the two most popular optical transievers on WBF must be the Startech and Planet.
Both are recommendations of Emile.

20200521_085945_HDR~2.jpg
20200521_085858~2.jpg

However some friends and I in Hong Kong recently prefer the following Finisar and have already replaced all our transievers with it.
;)

IMG-20190622-WA0007~4.jpg

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
My Planet tech SFP should be coming in soon, it left the States a month ago and I got an update yesterday saying it left Taiwan enroute to Singapore. Best bet I reckon is Friday delivery. As I was writing this reply, email came in it has left Changi Airport.

Oh my the anticipation.......special thanks to Ken who made this happen.
Looking forward to your listening impressions :)

Reactions: Abyss Man

cczer017

May 9, 2020

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
However some friends and I in Hong Kong recently prefer the following Finisar and have already replaced all our transievers with it.
;)

View attachment 65426

Nice find, the power consumption is really low for a SFP module at around 700mW. That will likely help SQ :)

cczer017

May 9, 2020
Can anyone help here please?...re post #449 #450 #456

Its not a taxing question surely for you guys? ;)

Regards

Last edited:

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Nice find, the power consumption is really low for a SFP module at around 700mW. That will likely help SQ :)

Emile, where do you find the power consumption figures? I tried for a while to research some lower power transceivers, but the sources I could as a consumer all had generic "< 1200mW" type figures. I figure there must be more details for OEMs.

To jump to goal line, what's the lowest power SFP module you've seen? I'd love to get back to optical in with the star tech card...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing