SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
Thanks Steve.
I write it down, Singlemode LC-LC.
I have ordered two Finisar. I am currently going from the Modem Router to the EtherREGEN with an AQ Diamond Ethernet, but I would like to buy a Sonore Optical Module and go to EtherREGEN with fiber and see what happens.
What gear are you isolating with these?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I don't know if I understand your question well.
What I want to do is:
ISP Modem-Router (AQ Diamond Ethernet Cable) - Sonore Optical Module (Fiber Cable) - EtherREGEN (GöbelEthernet Cable) - Melco (Göbel USB Cable) - AC Kassandra.

Roasty

May 28, 2020
hi guys. am new to this forum. i recently purchased an sMS-200 Ultra Neo with upgrades and an SPS-500. i've been happy with the sound from those items, so yesterday I placed an order for the SOtM SNH-10G (with clock and upgrades) and an SOtM TX-USBultra.

the two new items should be arriving some time next week.

background on my chain:
Roon/HQplayer core in study room
ethernet switch (to be replaced by SNH-10G)
Uptone EtherRegen
SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo
Singxer SU-6
i2s HDMI to dacs

The above are powered by Ultracaps LPS 1.2, Keces P3, Keces P8, and SOtM SPS-500. I have also just ordered another Farad Super3 LPS due to arrive soon.

wondering if someone could help with some questions i have (mostly on fiber)..

1) SOtM suggests using ethernet over fiber. but i see that fiber is quite popular on this thread. should i be bothering with fiber? the distance from the switch to the ER is only about 2m.
2) May from SOtM informed that they recommend single mode connections over multimode. is there a reason for this?
3) i purchased (maybe prematurely), Startech transceiver modules (https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B0747WVCH2/ref=pe_12283492_374736162_TE_item ). will these work ok?
4) a question on the transceiver modules. does it matter if the product listing says compatible with Meraki, HP, Dell, Cisco, Juniper etc etc? or are they in effect the same module?
5) lastly, of all the devices and all the LPS i have, do you guys have any idea or suggestion as to which pairing would be the most ideal? eg Farad Super 3 with 200 ultra? or Super 3 with SNH-10G.

thanks!

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I use Wireworld Platinum Ethernet cables with an isolator in between for router to switch (SOtM switch). I use my own Dynamo LPS to power the switch, but I would recommend to try the Sbooster since you cannot buy Dynamo. The SOtM Ethernet cable with filter is best I have heard for Switch to renderer.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I would go ethernet to switch instead of optical, reason being, optical sounds thin compared to RJ45. LPS wise, speed is very important on the digital front. I'm using 4 x sps-500 but am in the midst of trying out Farad 3. I tried LPS1.2 and sps-1000 and I lost dynamics and the sound was way too laid back fo my liking. I didn't like it.

Most folks dread at the sps-500 cause its a SMPS, as for me, I like it and in fact is much better than a lot of genric LPS. I would be able to tell you how the Farad sounds in 2 weeks time, but for now I'm back to enjoying my music.

PS: even if I did like the Farad in my setup, I don't think I will go all Farad, I will probably mix and match and see which unit fits where. Hope that answered your 5th question.

Reactions: Roasty

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
I don't know if I understand your question well.
What I want to do is:
ISP Modem-Router (AQ Diamond Ethernet Cable) - Sonore Optical Module (Fiber Cable) - EtherREGEN (GöbelEthernet Cable) - Melco (Göbel USB Cable) - AC Kassandra.
Does the Melco Ethernet run at 100 speed or 1000 speed?

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
hi guys. am new to this forum. i recently purchased an sMS-200 Ultra Neo with upgrades and an SPS-500. i've been happy with the sound from those items, so yesterday I placed an order for the SOtM SNH-10G (with clock and upgrades) and an SOtM TX-USBultra.

the two new items should be arriving some time next week.

background on my chain:
Roon/HQplayer core in study room
ethernet switch (to be replaced by SNH-10G)
Uptone EtherRegen
SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo
Singxer SU-6
i2s HDMI to dacs

The above are powered by Ultracaps LPS 1.2, Keces P3, Keces P8, and SOtM SPS-500. I have also just ordered another Farad Super3 LPS due to arrive soon.

wondering if someone could help with some questions i have (mostly on fiber)..

1) SOtM suggests using ethernet over fiber. but i see that fiber is quite popular on this thread. should i be bothering with fiber? the distance from the switch to the ER is only about 2m.
2) May from SOtM informed that they recommend single mode connections over multimode. is there a reason for this?
3) i purchased (maybe prematurely), Startech transceiver modules (https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B0747WVCH2/ref=pe_12283492_374736162_TE_item ). will these work ok?
4) a question on the transceiver modules. does it matter if the product listing says compatible with Meraki, HP, Dell, Cisco, Juniper etc etc? or are they in effect the same module?
5) lastly, of all the devices and all the LPS i have, do you guys have any idea or suggestion as to which pairing would be the most ideal? eg Farad Super 3 with 200 ultra? or Super 3 with SNH-10G.

thanks!
1. Fiber will give 100% galvanic isolation, cable will not.
2. No!
3. Yes
4. Yes!
5. Any good linear power supply.

Reactions: Roasty

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
I use Wireworld Platinum Ethernet cables with an isolator in between for router to switch (SOtM switch). I use my own Dynamo LPS to power the switch, but I would recommend to try the Sbooster since you cannot buy Dynamo. The SOtM Ethernet cable with filter is best I have heard for Switch to renderer.
Steve I should send you an opticalRendu to try:)

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
There is no factual basis for this. Optical provides you 100% galvanic isolation while transmitting 100% of the bit identical packet based data.
Hi Jesus,
There is no factual basis for a lot of things in audio. U hear a particular gear and if it makes a difference I’m all in, that’s how I operate anyway. If things need to be factual then I Guess the boys from ASR would have tons of it, and if everyone went along the factual lines then I don’t think the etherregen would have sold 2.4k WW.

Reactions: LeBlanc

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
There are factual basis for a lot of things in audio. However, there are a few vocal few trying to making it seem like there isn't. If you think you heard something that is one thing and your are entitled to your opinion, but your blanket statement is inappropriate. I have a ton respect for some of the work on ASR and I think they concluded that the ER is just a switch. I know Alex and I know John, I love them both to death. I'm also familiar with the design of the ER, the hypothesis behind the project, and the fact that no measurements have been completed to prove the hypothesis. There are easy and simple tweaks that clearly show improvements or you can hold your breath that something insanely difficult to prove makes a difference. A lot of people also bought a pet rock:)

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
There are factual basis for a lot of things in audio. However, there are a few vocal few trying to making it seem like there isn't. If you think you heard something that is one thing and your are entitled to your opinion, but your blanket statement is inappropriate. I have a ton respect for some of the work on ASR and I think they concluded that the ER is just a switch. I know Alex and I know John, I love them both to death. I'm also familiar with the design of the ER, the hypothesis behind the project, and the fact that no measurements have been completed to prove the hypothesis. There are easy and simple tweaks that clearly show improvements or you can hold your breath that something insanely difficult to prove makes a difference. A lot of people also bought a pet rock:)
May I know which part of my comment was a blanket statement?

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
I have a ton respect for some of the work on ASR and I think they concluded that the ER is just a switch. I know Alex and I know John, I love them both to death. I'm also familiar with the design of the ER, the hypothesis behind the project, and the fact that no measurements have been completed to prove the hypothesis. There are easy and simple tweaks that clearly show improvements or you can hold your breath that something insanely difficult to prove makes a difference. A lot of people also bought a pet rock:)

Really Jesus? Well ASR will also conclude that the opticalModule is no better than a $15 FMC, but are you ready to ditch the LT3045 regs and the Crystek 575? What measurements do you have to show the efficacy those simple choices? The bits are the bits right?
So the fact that the EtherREGEN offers full active differential isolation combined with ultra-low-jitter reclocking flops is somehow a bridge too far for you to conceive? ;)
I just remembered that we are in the SOtM switch thread. That product, being just a switch with a clock board is more similar to the opticalModule module than either are to the more radical EtherREGEN. I think our piece is more of a pet boulder in this market. :cool:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
1. Fiber will give 100% galvanic isolation, cable will not.
2. No!
3. Yes
4. Yes!
5. Any good linear power supply.

I don't agree with #5. Digital components require a fast-reacting regulator or it will impact jitter. Most LPS don't deliver on this. I believe Sbooster is an exception, but I have only read the reviews. Even many SMPS are not fast enough. It took me some searching to find SMPS that is fast enough and I mod my Hynes reg to make my LPS fast enough.

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
Really Jesus? Well ASR will also conclude that the opticalModule is no better than a $15 FMC, but are you ready to ditch the LT3045 regs and the Crystek 575? What measurements do you have to show the efficacy those simple choices? The bits are the bits right?
So the fact that the EtherREGEN offers full active differential isolation combined with ultra-low-jitter reclocking flops is somehow a bridge too far for you to conceive? ;)
I just remembered that we are in the SOtM switch thread. That product, being just a switch with a clock board is more similar to the opticalModule module than either are to the more radical EtherREGEN. I think our piece is more of a pet boulder in this market. :cool:
They probably will and I don't care as long as they don't say it sounds worse. I have nothing against people using consumer level products. We currently have a sale on our website with a 10Gtek FMC, most Rendu reviews are with the reviewers own gear, customers are advised to use what they want, can afford, or have access to. However, the opticalModule is not a $15 FMC when you consider the oscillator costs us $10 each, it's designed in the US, it's assembled in the US, it's ships from the US, support is in the US, etc. I make no excuse for the design because that is our prerogative, but I also make no claims that I can't back up completely. Here is what I can conceive...fiber optic gives you 100% galvanic isolation or infinite galvanic isolation if you prefer. That piece does look pretty beefy:)

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
I don't agree with #5. Digital components require a fast-reacting regulator or it will impact jitter. Most LPS don't deliver on this. I believe Sbooster is an exception, but I have only read the reviews. Even many SMPS are not fast enough. It took me some searching to find SMPS that is fast enough and I mod my Hynes reg to make my LPS fast enough.
Man...how many linear power supplies and fancy Ethernet components does a guy need:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing