Primer on dacs

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Reactions: DonH50

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Second from the right on any post you want to bookmark. I just took a screenshot of yours to illustrate location.

1631762062208.png

Reactions: audiobomber

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There's plenty of theory on jitter as well... An overview, though avoiding most theory, is here on WBF in my series of jitter articles.
Yes and if uou don't like to read view the video I referenced above.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Oops. I will find it. I guess I did not post it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Try this one.
You tube
Network music players quality part2: jitter

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
One of the more interesting aspects of digital to analog converters is a 10¢ DAC chip in the hands of someone who knows how to implement it will probably sound better than a very expensive DAC chip primarily used to create a price point differentiation. There are a lot of false signals where quality and especially SQ are concerned. At least at a level which interests that other guy. ;)

I'm pretty sure most primers are going to be largely remedial for you. There are certainly enough people here who could suggest a pathway forwards based on your known likes and history. You cut a wide enough swathe to make me believe this venture would be highly readable. If you are doing more than entertaining a fancy.

That hip DAC looks like a great device at a very good price. What are you using for a (mobile) playback software and on what devices?
The input to the dac chip is on par of importance as the chip itself
the implementation of the chip perhaps more important then the chip itself

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
@Gregadd Here ya go:

Arguably the definitive text on the subject, although probably not what you are looking for.

IMO digital has finally gotten to that point where it really is getting sorted out. Texas Instruments makes some very competent DAC chips and Topping is using them in their very reasonably priced DACs. Just doing so seems to have raised the bar a bit (since I've heard them sound better than DACs costing a lot more and they measure well too); what I'm trying to say is that if/when digital is done right we won't be discussing differences in sound because there won't be any. Since that probably won't really happen (we're on some sort of sigmoid curve) the differences will get more and more slight. Which is good.
I own a topping dac must say very good and not warm
of neutral as some dacs are voiced to sound

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
This is false just FWIW; when I worked at Allied Radio Shack service department back in the 1970s it was always super annoying when they left the ultrasonic motion detector on. Fortunately it had a big switch so you could just turn it off. I could hear it up the stairs before I even entered the space. It ran at 25KHz. I sure can't hear anywhere near that now!
You did not then either lol had to be a resonance thing.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You did not then either lol had to be a resonance thing.
Its not correct to say that I could hear it- but I could feel it with ease- it hurt! Back in those days when I came home from work, if my wife was watching it, I could hear the 15KHz sweep frequency of the TV before I even got on the stairs to the front porch of my house.

Reactions: rando and K3RMIT

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
One of the more interesting aspects of digital to analog converters is a 10¢ DAC chip in the hands of someone who knows how to implement it will probably sound better than a very expensive DAC chip primarily used to create a price point differentiation. There are a lot of false signals where quality and especially SQ are concerned. At least at a level which interests that other guy. ;)

I'm pretty sure most primers are going to be largely remedial for you. There are certainly enough people here who could suggest a pathway forwards based on your known likes and history. You cut a wide enough swathe to make me believe this venture would be highly readable. If you are doing more than entertaining a fancy.

That hip DAC looks like a great device at a very good price. What are you using for a (mobile) playback software and on what devices?
As a person who soldered a few things in his career, I would say that a dac chip plays a vital role in the final audio quality, but as @K3RMIT is saying, the circuitry, audio path, implementation, materials used when building a product, ins and outs (their quality), they all matter a great deal.

Reactions: K3RMIT

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Its not correct to say that I could hear it- but I could feel it with ease- it hurt! Back in those days when I came home from work, if my wife was watching it, I could hear the 15KHz sweep frequency of the TV before I even got on the stairs to the front porch of my house.
That freq was annoying lol. im just saying 25k I think is above most all humans but having said that a freq even 15 hurts if directed at you no doubt on that.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
As a person who soldered a few things in his career, I would say that a dac chip plays a vital role in the final audio quality, but as @K3RMIT is saying, the circuitry, audio path, implementation, materials used when building a product, ins and outs (their quality), they all matter a great deal.

A lower angle of attack forcing perspective upon only the DAC chip was relevant to staggered discovery inside a primer. Everything matters fits this trajectory as a way to close every chapter.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
That freq was annoying lol. im just saying 25k I think is above most all humans but having said that a freq even 15 hurts if directed at you no doubt on that.
Yes. I say it was 25KHz on the alarm because that is what its specification sheet said. At any rate as soon as I got in the door at work I could feel it and it hurt. My manager didn't believe me at first and read the spec to me, so I had him test me by me simply raising my hand when it was turned on with my back turned. I passed 100%. I know very well that 20KHz is supposed to be the limit, but people vary from one to another; 20KHz is an approximation (if you think about it, if I was 'hearing' that and it wasn't some sort of thing with my skull, I was only 1/4 octave higher than the average...). At any rate my hearing is way down even at 10KHz these days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing