Don's Tech Series

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
This post is simply to consolidate my technical posts into a table of contents, mainly to make it easier for me to find but hopefully it will help others as well. With luck and time, the list will grow. I would also be glad to entertain suggestions for other articles, whilst realizing we have a growing number of experts on board likely better suited to answer audio-related technical issues than a hairy-knuckled engineer... Enjoy! - Don

The List:

Units, Symbols, and Terms, Oh My! As implied, definitions of many of the terms thrown about by audiophiles and engineers.
Wavelength vs. Frequency How long is a sound wave at a given frequency?
Sampling 101 An introduction to the sampling theory used in digital audio (ADCs and DACs).
Aliasing 101 How signals alias when sampled -- one of the things that can go wrong when sampling signals.
Building a Square Wave In case you thought it was easy...
Resistor Article for Audio Not mine, but an interesting discussion I found.
Jitter 101 A complex subject; here's a start...
Jitter 102A A deeper look at jitter, in three parts. They go in order, no fair skipping to the end (and you'll miss a lot).
Jitter 102B Jitter Deeper, Part 2.
Jitter 102C Final of three "deeper-look" jitter posts.
DACs 101 A brief introduction to digital-to-analog converters.
DACs 102: Delta-Sigma DACs Commonly called oversampling DACs, a look inside.
Reflections and DACs A peek into transmission lines and why digital cables do matter.
Room Modes A brief overview of interacting sound waves and room modes.
CD Data Rates I didn't start it, but a look at how many bits come out of your CD player, how fast, and why.
Interconnect Frequency Response A look at typical interconnect frequency responses using typical preamp outputs, amp inputs, and interconnect cables.
Skin Effect A brief look at what it is and how it might, or not impact, your audio system.
Slew Rate A definition and brief look at slew rates for audio amplifiers.
RF Speaker Cables? A look at speaker cables from a different perspective.
RF Speaker Cables: Biwired! RF speaker cables, the bi-wiring case.
Passive Bi-amping Some thoughts on passive bi-amping.
The Sound of a Digital Cable: Bandwidth and Jitter Ruminations on how bandwidth limitations can cause jitter.
Relating Distortion % to dB How percents and dB are related
Intermodulation Distortion - Why Don't We Like It? A quick look at IMD
Example Amplifier Responses into Speaker Loads A quick look at what amps and speakers may do together
Clipping 101 A quick look at what happens when things clip
Power Supply Bandwidth Your power supply may need more bandwidth from the wall than you thought
Ground Loops 101 An introduction to ground loops
Introduction to Comb Filter Effects An introduction to comb filter effects
Class D Amplifiers 101

Last edited by a moderator:

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I should note the order is intentionally not alphabetical. It is more-or-less the order in which I made them, and in which I felt made sense for somebody starting to delve into the technical side.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Don --

These are great and much appreciated.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Same, nicely done.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...thanks Don...lots to read here! Great!!!

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It appears I can no longer edit the first post? Could @Steve Williams or a mod add this line to keep the ToC together? Thanks - Don

Class D Amplifiers 101 = Introduction to class D amplifier operation

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hi Steve,

Correct place, but somehow it's just text, no link? When I copy I get the link as expected:

[xurl=[URL]https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/class-d-amplifiers-101.28375/[/URL]] Class D amplifiers 101[x/url] = Introduction to class D amplifier operation

Copy and paste and remove the "x" in front of url and /url...

Forum SW keeps adding URL around the link... Hmph. Well it's in my previous post. Not critical.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I need to read these articles asap. A belated Thank You, Don!

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I need to read these articles asap. A belated Thank You, Don!
Thank you! I do not spend as much time on WBF these days so missed this. Maybe because the first two responders are banned, afraid I'm next! I wrote an updated post on the effect of mismatched (length) speaker cables I should add, too much else going on right now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing