Primer on dacs

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't expect to find a dissertation on you tube. If you are seeking a working knowledge of a particular subject it can be valuable. You. Will need to weed out the politics.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Digital Audio Fundamentals
SIGNAL PATH
you tube

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Digital Audio Fundamentals
CONTAINERS AND FILE FORMATS
Ypu tube

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Digital Audio Fundamemtals
BIT DEPTH
YOU TUBE

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I can see no links, so just posting it here. I believe this is what you meant @Gregadd .

A great finding. I watched a few minutes of their video and it seems very helpful.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
@Gregadd Here ya go:

Arguably the definitive text on the subject, although probably not what you are looking for.

IMO digital has finally gotten to that point where it really is getting sorted out. Texas Instruments makes some very competent DAC chips and Topping is using them in their very reasonably priced DACs. Just doing so seems to have raised the bar a bit (since I've heard them sound better than DACs costing a lot more and they measure well too); what I'm trying to say is that if/when digital is done right we won't be discussing differences in sound because there won't be any. Since that probably won't really happen (we're on some sort of sigmoid curve) the differences will get more and more slight. Which is good.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What I'm trying to say is that if/when digital is done right we won't be discussing differences in sound because there won't be any. Since that probably won't really happen (we're on some sort of sigmoid curve) the differences will get more and more slight. Which is good.

What are your thoughts on impact of energy crises and excess of RF in the home and mobile environment listening occurs in?

Digital devices in general are on a trend towards meeting increasingly strict California standards for power usage in all states. BTLE is one development being embraced for numerous other uses that is awful for audio playback in every way. To me this seems the more immediate concern impacting entry/mid-fi DAC one might read a primer before buying. That and What's Best in solar power for high end impactful audio delivery without all the conditioners and purifiers. ;)

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I was more concerned with them being on the receiving end of RF and needing to accommodate variations in power they are being fed. Weakest link in the chain issues.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
A very well written and clear explanation of digital can be found in Mark Waldrep's book "Music and Audio: A user guide to better sound". A google search can turn up links. You can purchase from AIX. Now, he is a cables don't really matter etc. kind of person. But the information in chapters 7 and 8 on PCM and DSD is really good. It is also interesting his take on DSD as a total marketing ploy from Sony. All of that stuff aside, if you read chapters 7 and 8 you will understand how PCM and DSD work and why DSD needs these insane sampling rates to sound good.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
what I'm trying to say is that if/when digital is done right we won't be discussing differences in sound because there won't be any. Since that probably won't really happen (we're on some sort of sigmoid curve) the differences will get more and more slight. Which is good.
It is indeed a positive trend that digital audio is becoming better every year. It is also great that there is a robust competition within audio industry as the companies have to constantly improve their products and introduce more creative technologies to attract customers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One thing I can conclude is how I have been misled by both.sides on the issue of sampling rates.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One thing I can conclude is how I have been misled by both.sides on the issue of sampling rates.

What is misleading concerning sample rates?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
How many times 20Hz is sampled per waveform compared to 20 mHz?

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Nyquist recommends twice per cycle. What is your point?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Nyquist recommends twice per cycle. What is your point?

Your recent interests on the forum suggest awareness of proposals Nyquist is a simplification one needs to unlearn in order to address genius claiming to have evolved beyond.

Specifically, what two sides and what issue misled?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Your recent interests on the forum suggest awareness of proposals Nyquist is a simplification one needs to unlearn in order to address genius claiming to have evolved beyond.

First of all Nyquist said at least twice per cycle. I need to correct that.
I do not what genuis you are referring to.
First of all it was not Nyquist alone and it was not invented for audio.
Have you examined the videos I posted?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

Not sure what your post means. They Nyquist-Shannon theorem is very well established and mathematically proven. The sample rate needs to be 2 times the highest frequency that needs to be reproduced. Thus the 44.1KHz sample rate of a CD would faithfully reproduce frequencies of 22.05 KHz which is already above the threshold of even young humans. However, there is an interesting audio clip I heard several years ago where a piano note was played. In one recording the sample rate was such that the harmonics went well beyond 20KHz and the other a brick wall filter was put in. There was an obvious difference in sound quality.

One of the biggest issues early on with CD reproduction was Aliasing. If you want to understand more about why early digital sounded bad then I would focus on this and not sampling theory.

Reactions: Atmasphere

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Have you examined the videos I posted?
I can see no links, so just posting it here. I believe this is what you meant

Everything else pointed directly back to the following discussion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing