Bangkok

Russian Song called Larrisa;s Romance

Tender Trap by Frank Sinatra

Source Cocktail Audio 50x d server

EMMlab Dac2

Freya pre fitted with Sylavania and RCA 6f8g's

Line Magnetic 508 fitted with RCA 805, EML 300b, Melz 1578, RCA 6c8g

Altec A7
Good sound. Keep the room as is. It gives good charisma. Great to enjoy music in real living space. I will be happy to live in a spacious space like this with this lively sound.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
View attachment 82665

I finally set up Altec A7 for listening.

I had mishap with Silbatone 300b amp of which fuse I blew by accident.

While i am waiting for replacement fuse, I had connected Rogue Magnum II fitted with Nos Telefuken 12ax7 and Amperex Au7 tubes.

it sounds much better than I expected with lively treble and natural bass.

It is also good for classical music with nice details and clarity.

:)
This is no boring Altec. Not ear pampering sound like most horn videos that posted on this forum. :p

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
You can use 6f8g tubes with adapters.

I used to use Kenrad vt231 and Sylvania vt231 for Freya +.

But 6f8g tubes tend to give fuller sound than regular 6sn7 tubes.
Thanks the the info ! I shelved the Freya+ Because it lacked transparency in both the passive and tube modes. I liked the Versatility of having it act as a passive, active buffer stage and tubed preamp, went With an active pre for almost a year before going back to a TVC.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I agree with Tang. I think it sounds good. You may find that a simple rug is all you need or a very slight change in listener position.
This might be a good example of how widely preferences can vary. Maybe the video somehow exaggerates it, but I hear the room echoing like crazy to the point where in obscures the information on the recording. It may sound “lively” but to me it sounds like the room and speakers are wrestling with each other.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I enjoy lively sound through some echo.

But I may need to do some sound proofing work later.

Whilst I much prefer a room to be on the more lively side over an overly damped padded cell , however purely based on your recordings for my part there is a little too much first reflection and echo chamber going on with your room.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

If you want to alter I think some carpet and give your wife budget to decorate in a homey style will do sir. Natural charisma is what you have for the sound in your place. Tampon-free sir.

Reactions: Folsom and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This might be a good example of how widely preferences can vary. Maybe the video somehow exaggerates it, but I hear the room echoing like crazy to the point where in obscures the information on the recording. It may sound “lively” but to me it sounds like the room and speakers are wrestling with each other.

Wil, How can you determine that this is the room rather than the recording or something else in the system? Do you have this same sense of echoing like crazy from all of his system videos? If you think there is resolution missing, then there should be other examples of this same recording in other rooms that will show a lot more information and if that is the case, will it still not be difficult to conclude that it is the room and not the system or something else?

I am suggesting some simple treatment like a rug to start with. This looks like his active living space and not a dedicated listening room. What kind of room treatment are you suggesting he put into a space like this?

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Wil, How can you determine That this is the room rather than the recording or something else in the system? Do you have this same sense of echo an like crazy from all of his videos? If you think there is resolution missing, then there should be other examples of this same recording in other rooms will show a lot more information and if that is the case will still not be difficult to conclude that it is the room and not the system or something else?

I am suggesting some simple treatment like a rug to start with. This looks like his active living space another dedicated room. What kind of room treatment are you suggesting he put into a space like this?
Maybe a large rug and something like bookcases at the first reflection points and back of room would help? It sounds like the system has a lot of potential. But it sounds overly energized, to me, at present-- in all of the recordings.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20211014_092343 (1)-33.jpg

My main listeing room on the third floor got lof of sound insulation and reflectors.

20211014_092432-33.jpg

As some gentlemen recommended, I moved simple rug from the third floor to the second floor.

I may also move some reflectors later.;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Absolutely. Room is far too lively with a load of echo causing an imbalance.

Reactions: Al M. and Argonaut

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Maybe a large rug and something like bookcases at the first reflection points and back of room would help? It sounds like the system has a lot of potential. But it sounds overly energized, to me, at present-- in all of the recordings.

I think it’s worth experimenting, but I think the system sounds OK through the videos. The real question is for the owner and if he is satisfied. Perhaps we should listen to a somber cello performance or some type of music that is not real lively and see how the video sounds. To me, energy and liveliness are good things but not if reflections blur the sound.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I think it’s worth experimenting, but I think the system sounds OK through the videos. The real question is for the owner and if he is satisfied. Perhaps we should listen to a somber cello performance or some type of music that is not real lively and see how the video sounds. To me, energy and liveliness are good things but not if reflections blur the sound.

Reactions: Mikem53

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
View attachment 82735

I did move some reflector and absorption panel from the third floor to the second.

It seems to help a bit to reduce echo!

It is good to have elevator inside house to move heavy things around.:)

Wow - elevator in your house sounds like a very serious residence - congrats. Enjoy your Altecs!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing