Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I used to use Silbatone 300b amp for Lanshe 4.1 in small listeing space ( 16 ft wide 25 ft long 10 ft high).

But after moving to larger listening space, Siilbatone does not have enough power to drive it.

Now I setteled with Line Magnetic 508 fitted with Nos tubes.

I had been using Lansche for 16 years so far since I enjoy pristine treble out of plasma tweeter.

Lansche also goes deep and pretty dynamic due to two 10 inch actively driven woofers per side.

The only thing that I expect from vintage audio is somewhat more natural reverberration out of classical box.

I could be happy with Altec A7 or maybe not.
Nice. I would love to hear the 4.1 because it is using the same Supravox driver as a midrange as I use in my DIY horn project. I had a customer back when I was a KR Audio dealer that had a predecessor to the Lansche Cubus. It was called the Goa. Interestingly, it had an outboard active crossover (made by Lansche) between the built-in dual 12 inch subs and the rest of the speaker, which was a high sensitivty mid-bass coupler, a horn loaded midrange and, of course, an ion tweeter. He ran it with two KR Audio Kronzilla stereo amps...one for the bass and one for the rest. Sounded really awesome.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The only thing that I expect from vintage audio is somewhat more natural reverberration out of classical box.
You should have higher and can definitely raise your expectations quite a bit if you have the right electronics. Vintage doesn’t mean limited!
I could be happy with Altec A7 or maybe not.
Hard to beat if in proper condition!

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hope so1

Altch A800 sounds pretty nice in Korea.

what's the size of the room? An A7 gets out of horn loading pretty early in the bass, an A5 is slightly later but ideally you want to go up to 817 so that you can have two woofers. But you need a bigger room

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
what's the size of the room? An A7 gets out of horn loading pretty early in the bass, an A5 is slightly later but ideally you want to go up to 817 so that you can have two woofers. But you need a bigger room
I am going to use my linving room open to kitchen on the second floor

25 ft wide 40 ft long 25ft high with open attic to the third floor.

A800 sounds nice in big open space with just one 15 inch woofer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am going to use my linving room open to kitchen on second floor

25 ft wide 40 ft deep 30ft high with open to third floor.

wow that's big

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
25 ft wide 40 ft long 25ft high with open attic to the third floor.
What a grand space. Seems like a big multi-cell horn in that room would be awesome!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20211001_121509_resized.jpg

Yesterday, I crossed US Canadian border to pick up Altec A7 speakers located in West Vancouver.

I borrowed my friend's truck since I can carry only one of it with my Suv.

The owner has a beatiful house looking over Vancouver downtown and bay.

He picked it up about 15 years ago from church.

But after renovation of his house, he plan to switch to modern speaker.

He was playing some music through it to show it is working fine.

20211002_135616_resized.jpg

It is good to have elevator to carry heavy speakers or amplifiers. The previous owner of this house was M.D. who built small elevator for ER use.

20211002_135831_resized.jpg

My main listeing room is located in attic space of third floor. But this Altec A7 is too big for the space. Thus I will set it up on the second floor.

I will use Silbatone 300B SET fitted with Western Electric 300b made in 1940's. The source will be EMMLac Dac2 and Jay's audio CDT2 or Cocktail Audio X30.

After fully setting it up, I will give my impression of it.:)

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
View attachment 82440

Yesterday, I crossed US Canadian border to pick up Altec A7 speakers located in West Vancouver.

He wa playing some music through it to show it is working fine.

View attachment 82441

It is good to have elevator to carry heavy speakers or amplifiers. The previous owner of this house was M.D. who built small elevator for ER use.

View attachment 82443

My main listeing room is loated in attic space of third floor. But this Altec A7 is too big for the space. I will use Silbatone 300B SET fitted with Western Electric 300b made in 1940's. The source will be EMMLac Dac2 and Jay's audio CDT2 or Cocktail Audio X30.

After fully setting it up, I will give impression of it.:)
You are a man of action Thomas! Awesome. Very exciting project under way and looking forwards to seeing it all unfold. Hopefully later even with videos to help us enjoy the evolution of your adventure even more at a distance. What a great move :)

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

I wonder at the point where it may dawn upon your benefactor the enormity of the error in judgment that he has just made...

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 82440

View attachment 82441

View attachment 82443

My main listeing room is loated in attic space of third floor. But this Altec A7 is too big for the space. Thus I will set it up on the second floor.

I will use Silbatone 300B SET fitted with Western Electric 300b made in 1940's. The source will be EMMLac Dac2 and Jay's audio CDT2 or Cocktail Audio X30.

After fully setting it up, I will give my impression of it.:)
This is great stuff and would love to hear These speakers.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
You are a man of action Thomas! Awesome. Very exciting project under way and looking forwards to seeing it all unfold. Hopefully later even with videos to help us enjoy the evolution of your adventure even more at a distance. What a great move :)

I wonder at the point where it may dawn upon your benefactor the enormity of the error in judgment that he has just made...
He did not appear to be serious audiophile although he had used Mckintosh amp to drive ti.

The critical thing is WAF.

His wife does not want to keep old speaker in living room after full renovation.

;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spectacular! Congrats, ThomasK...very much look forward to reading all about it.

Reactions: PeterA and thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
_DSC1462pet-2 (1)audio33.jpg

Thanks a lot for your compliment.

My listeing room on the third floor used to be tidy( 4 years ago). But it is now too clowded with no more room for Altec A7;

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Candles, favorite beverage, slow dance to the Altecs...she will decide they are the best thing ever ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing