What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Damn good stuff--I'd like the knowledgeable to recommend a recording/disc that typifies this work --for my collection --grateful thanks.

Any of these three (Link to article) would play quite well as the only release in your library. Being unaware your digital playback capability I'd lean towards a download of the HDTT. If you can playback the SACD 2ch layer the newer digital recordings may be funner.

Reactions: BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Any of these three (Link to article) would play quite well as the only release in your library. Being unaware your digital playback capability I'd lean towards a download of the HDTT. If you can playback the SACD 2ch layer the newer digital recordings may be funner.
Ah thank you Rando for the excellent suggestions--yes I should have mentioned I have The Naim CD555 so CD is fine for now.

My Vinyl is in hiatus in the meantime.

Much appreciated I'm going to search your suggestions

BruceD

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Lost interest in the Mono Opera discs opening the box and started exploring before landing on Disc 48.

Bartók - Four Orchestral Pieces
Boulez - Notations I-IV
Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
Pierre Boulez

Reactions: Al M.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Late night finishing off with one of numerous Proms releases I had to choose from. No pop stars or cheap gimmicks here.

Folder.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The last 3 Sonatas.

1616444275633.png

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is a reissue belonging to the Laboratory Series of Stereo Sound magazine of Japan.
The box contains 2 single-layer SACDs and two CDs.
Very nice music and sonics!

20210328_172627~3.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is a reissue belonging to the Laboratory Series of Stereo Sound magazine of Japan.

View attachment 76392
In general, I prefer the remastering/reissues of Stereo Sound magazine in Japan much more than those from Esoteric.

The above Rossini 6 Sonate A Quattro boxset is remastered by Mr.Jonathan Stokes and the producers are from Stereo Sound magazine Japan.

20210328_173700~2.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Nearing the end of collecting all 18 discs from this "vanity label", M?A (Michael J. Antonello) Productions, featuring the namesake playing his personal Stradivarius and Guarneri violins. May have to keep the wrapper on other five and track down some playing copies.

0330211536c.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A violin and a lute only yet all these songs of 17th century are full of emotion!

20210402_222347~3.jpg

Reactions: Bachtoven

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

View attachment 76392
I have the one remastered by Winston Ma. Fantastic.

1617485709115.png

Reactions: marslo and CKKeung

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Harkening back to the early days of this thread. I'm greatly enjoying the contents of DG's 100 Jahre Salzburger Festspiele box.

Grigory Sokolov
Mozart Piano Sonatas Nos. 2 and 12

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

In which we find this from the author of the 'new' editions of Beethoven vionlin sonatas, who wants to bring back the spirit of muscians from an earlier time playing Beethoven:

“That’s what I would love to see classical musicians getting back to: not being so frightened of making mistakes. In order to be really bold in performance, you have to be prepared to make a mistake.”
Dr. Clive Brown, Editor

Maybe he never heard Horowitz. He made mistakes all the time, although they were fixed in the editing room. Mistakes not so much from being bold as from playing some really difficult music.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Maybe he never heard Horowitz. He made mistakes all the time, although they were fixed in the editing room. Mistakes not so much from being bold as from playing some really difficult music.

He very much means physical fear of making mistakes. Need to be bold, expose oneself in the fullest lest you be judged, chasing your example into hard reality of today, artificially perfecting a work. A power once held over performers by the sputtering energy stored in rotting produce. Big gory forceful dissections preventative of modern disease killing the arts.

A few wrong notes in the midst of an inspired performance is human, laudable. Replacing a real clanger on recordings is equally so.

Had this in my pile of recordings to get around to for a while. A gentle Easter Sunday morning matched up well.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Yesterday it was a streaming of concert by Polish renowned tenor Piotr Beczala , still available on YT for next 36 hours or so. The concert was registered on 27 th of March in Warsaw.
The mixt of famous Polish and Italian / French arias together with some orchestral music. Enjoy.

https://vod.teatrwielki.pl/

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing