What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Had need to test out a small stained glass lamp tonight. Enough to refresh a drink yet not disrupt listening with eyes closed » reenter the world gently. This recording was almost too perfectly chosen for heavy lids.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Ruben Simeo is widely considered one of the greatest trumpet players in the world today. This piece is a clear example of why he is so highly regarded.

What is truly amazing occurs at about 9 minutes. Jazz lovers may remember the first time they heard Art Tatum and could not believe that what they were hearing was being played by two hands when many would have sworn there were four hands playing. The 9 minute mark is when you will hear what seems humanly impossible- a single trumpet player who sounds like two trumpets at work. Awesome playing and a beautiful piece of music.

Reactions: Manesp2

rando

Sep 22, 2019
:D Especially the laughing.
(No soloists or instrumentalists are named despite accompaniment)

J?kabs Jan?evskis - Aeternum & Other Choral Works

Mixed Choir of Riga Cathedral Choir School (Jur?is C?bulis)

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
GIlels - Kondrashin, historical recording
Cover.jpg

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Roon > Qobuz > 44.1kHz > Upsampled - 705.6kHz > SMSL M400 > Topping A90 > Hifiman Sundara Balanced

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Born and raised in Idaho, Jeffrey Shumway and Del Parkinson have performed together as a piano duo since 1984. They first met at the Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition, where both were prizewinners. Their friendship cemented further when they studied together at the Juilliard School in Manhattan. Later both earned doctorates in piano with high honors from Indiana University.

Today Shumway is head of keyboard studies at Brigham Young University, while Parkinson is professor of piano at Boise State University. From these positions they have worked together as a piano duo, performing all over the United States, Europe, and Mexico.

Issued on Brigham Young University's School of Music Tartara Records label. Performances of two piano works are not overly common. Recording technique is about what you'd expect in terms of realism, playing as intimately timed. Something a bit different to close out a night pleasant as the painting chosen.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Continuing to explore the 100 Jahre Salzburger Festspiele box, Disc 47: Tchaikovsky "The Tempest" and Symphony No. 6 (Berlin Philharmonic/Abbado). This lacks a former release or album cover so I'm reporting it only. Yesterday evening I consumed the following album that only served to whet my appetite.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Electro 1

Electro 01.jpg

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Listening to
12EFE13E-01E8-45DD-935B-1471301B89AA.jpeg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Blue58 agreed both classic tracks.

By the time you get to Crucial Electro my friend and I always argue about Hashim – Al-Naafiysh and Tyrone Brunson – The Smuff, I always pick the The smuff over Al-Naafiysh.

Love both tracks. :cool:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Electro 2

Electro 2.jpeg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Did you two hit the flipside and forget to revert? :p

I'm quite sure those albums lie outside the Classical genre by some margin.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Oops rando, I posted in the wrong forum :eek:

Well I guess you can call those albums classics ;)

Reactions: rando

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing