What are the Covers You Like Better than the Original?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Steve Tibbetts covered Black Mountain Side, originally by Led Zeppelin.
Melissa Ferlaak, with Aesma Daeva, covered Mozart's Queen of the Night but I think the video on YT got pulled down. There is one of her and Aesma Daeva covering Electra's aria. At the time, it was a bit unusual for a metal band to cover Mozart, but Aesma Daeva showed the metal scene that Mozart was totally metal.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original by Sonny & Cher

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original Brinsley Schwartz/Nick Lowe

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sinatra was so great at making covers his own. Original Fred Astaire

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
A reviewer once wrote that Tom Rush should be the only male performer allowed to cover Joni Mitchell songs. Urge for Going was one of his best Joni covers. He also covered Jackson Brown and James Taylor with great performances.
Urge for Going was exceptionally good.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Disturbed - covering Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

LOL. imo, one of the worst cover versions ever. So much false angst :p

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
When you think about it, aren’t all classical recordings covers of the original?

No, the "original" is just a score on paper. Classical concerts and recordings are not covers, but realizations of the score in sound. There does not exist a sounding original without musicians playing it.

Reactions: Argonaut

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
No, the "original" is just a score on paper. Classical concerts and recordings are not covers, but realizations of the score in sound. There does not exist a sounding original without musicians playing it.
So just some dude (usually male, conductor) directing a bunch of musicians, interpreting what he (and they) thinks the “score” sounds like. One conductor’s interpretation and direction can result in a very different presentation than anothers’ — seems like a cover to me. (But I understand your point.)

Isn’t the score just a much too long and boring song on paper? ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So just some dude (usually male, conductor) directing a bunch of musicians, interpreting what he (and they) thinks the “score” sounds like. One conductor’s interpretation and direction can result in a very different presentation than anothers’ — seems like a cover to me. (But I understand your point.)

Isn’t the score just a much too long and boring song on paper? ;)

The original exists only in the mind of the genius who conceived of the music. He corrupted that pure idea the moment he wrote it down on paper. From that point on, it gets interpreted by the conductor and expressed by the musicians up on stage. The closest to the original thought we can get I suppose is having the composer conduct his own score instructing the musicians how to perform. I think Al has witnessed or experienced some of this with his avant garde classical music. With other genres, it differs. Those who were lucky to hear Jimi Hendrix perform his original music live were able to do the same but there it went from brain directly to fingers and amps. Same with jazz. It is a fascinating topic.

Reactions: Bobvin and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing