www.bendingwaveusa.com
OK this is a joke right ? It looks like a prop from a 70's Mad Max movie

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Unreal performance for $40K. I wonder if you can get a 4X8 sheet of plywood in the back though. Maybe with the gate down there is a stop at 8 feet...

Compared to any other pickup, this is indestructable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The base price is nice, the range (mileage) is very nice, the design is out of this world (futuristic Blade Runner), it's a truck not a Ferrari.

It's not to show off to your girlfriend, it's to go to work.
I don't think I've ever seen a more simple design...straight from Lego.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
I don't need a back seat in my truck. I'd rather have a longer bed.

Reactions: NorthStar

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Very Cool! ...but the design looks like rear headroom is an issue and not being able to access the bed from the sides may be an issue for some.

Bed + cab on frame has the advantage of being available in all sorts of different configurations, the Tesla truck looks like it would require a totally different vehicle for different variants.

Of course there are some pros, you get those from the vid... I'm sure it's very strong and stiff!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And I thought the concept art was vomit worthy...

Wow. Elon obviously has been smoking way too much weed.

Reactions: XV-1 and KeithR

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Pretty impressive. He definitely has vision.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Cyber Truck

Musk is a great showman but people use their trucks for real world applications and not for 0-60 in 3 seconds. The stainless sheet metal must pretty thick which means a lot of extra weight for no purpose but avoid a few dings? Or block 9mm bullets on your next bank heist? I just hope it’s not another tax payer funded commercial flop.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Musk is a great showman but people use their trucks for real world applications and not for 0-60 in 3 seconds. The stainless sheet metal must pretty thick which means a lot of extra weight for no purpose but avoid a few dings? Or block 9mm bullets on your next bank heist? I just hope it’s not another tax payer funded commercial flop.

david

I think the idea is the body is a structural component and the truck has no frame. Kind of like cars are all unibody structures, but in this case it seems like the body panels, including the doors, contribute to the structure in a way unibody cars do not.

If this is the case the truck may be stronger, stiffer and safer vs body on frame construction.

I think the big downside is lack of variation, we probably won't see the variety of cab and bed sizes the big 3 offer.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

david

I think Musk refers to the outer part of the truck as an exoskeleton

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I would venture to say that at least 50% of pickup owners buy them for the intimidation factor or they really want to be invincible paramilitary, not for transferring loads. Less than 50% of the trucks, even in my rural area have anything in the bed. This truck would be interesting to these people I think. Anything to get these people to drive a less polluting truck, not a diesel is a good thing IMO.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Diesels are cleaner than gas. And there is nothing intimidating about the T-slaw... It's been pretty well shown by sales that the bigger, flatter, and taller the front is the better a truck sells.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If we go by the aesthetics alone that Tesla cybertruck doesn't have that "fatal attraction" factor. From 1 to 10 I would rate it a zero.

As for its use, on farm lands they put tools in the bed, and tow trailers (horses, campers, flatbeds...). Also I saw people putting big 85" TV boxes to bring home (but no need because Costco delivers for free).

Also trucks are used for carrying construction crew workers (up to 4 and 5), forestry workers, chief firefighters, etc. So a crewcab has its good reason.

The lines are all triangular and rectangular...nothing curvy about this truck.
We are not used to see vehicles resembling that on the road, but more in sci-fi flicks.

The windows smashing was a glitch...to be improved (in progress).

Would I buy one? Not now, I'll wait for improvement of the Windows and more like Blade Runner design (some curvatures). I like most the 500 miles range.
And for electric design I would buy more a Mustang or a Porsche electric.
But for advanced tech Tesla is still in the lead.

That truck looks more like the basic design of a bulletproof military war truck. I can see a high caliber mounted automatic machine gun mounted in its bed.

Reactions: Steve Williams

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think the idea is the body is a structural component and the truck has no frame. Kind of like cars are all unibody structures, but in this case it seems like the body panels, including the doors, contribute to the structure in a way unibody cars do not.

If this is the case the truck may be stronger, stiffer and safer vs body on frame construction.

I think the big downside is lack of variation, we probably won't see the variety of cab and bed sizes the big 3 offer.
The only thing I saw was that it didn’t ding as easily, does that mean that it’s somehow safer? This kind of “innovation” is pretty straightforward and would have already been picked up by others if it really was all that. Is this not going to have crumple zones like all others? All we saw were parlor tricks like the 2nd hand condom seller pulling a rubber glove claiming his used ones are unbreakable :p!
david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing