Killers Of The Flower Moon

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My bet is still Scorsese for Killers of the Flower Moon and for Leonardo and DeNiro. It remains my favorite movie of the year

and yes it ws Bradley Cooper playing Lenny
Oops, Bradley Cooper indeed. Thanks for the correction.
Regarding DeNiro and DiCaprio, it is my understanding that actors above the Marquis are generally considered for a leading role nomination and not a supporting role nomination. But I do think there have been exceptions. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

th-1 copy.jpg killers copy.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As for Oppenheimer , I just can't see that winning. I downloaded the sound track 2 days ago. It was half decent to play but the movie itself was streaming 10 days after it was released to theaters
I agree, but there is a huge swath of voters and faans (I am not one of them) who resent that Nolan did not win the Director Oscar for Dunkirk or the other 4 nominations he received but did not win for Picture or Screenplay (Momento, Inception and Dunkirk). I don't think Nolan or Gerwig's work was near the equal of Scorcese's in Flowers but as you know, the Academy is often more of a popularity contest than a talent contest, and unfortunately, I think Gerwig is the Academy's "it" girl this year. At the WBF, politics is verboten, but in Hollywood, you almost get penalized if you don't flaunt it!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Of all the movies I have seen so far (I need to see both Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon), Past Lives was the best to me.

Reactions: jazdoc

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Killers of the flower moon is a so so movie. Too long. It can be cut down to 2.5 hours without affecting the story. is It based on a true story? King Hale needed to kill the 5 sisters and their mother to get the money? Quite a stupid plan in my opinion.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Split the movie over two days (and I read the book before). Great movie, but the third act really drags. Checked my watch and the Bureau didn’t come in until 2 hrs with 90 mins to go. I thought the courtroom cameos weren’t necessary. The book is all of 260 pages that was used for the story.

Haven’t seen Poor Things with Emma Stone, but Lily Gladstone was outstanding. Her character had a lot of nuance which is really hard to do. Facial expressions just as powerful as words. She didn’t have the typical 2 minute “overacted Oscar moment” which was refreshing.

Leo was good, not great. DeNiro will be up against Downey Jr for supporting actor. Tough call!

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Split the movie over two days (and I read the book before). Great movie, but the third act really drags. Checked my watch and the Bureau didn’t come in until 2 hrs with 90 mins to go. I thought the courtroom cameos weren’t necessary. The book is all of 260 pages that was used for the story.

Haven’t seen Poor Things with Emma Stone, but Lily Gladstone was outstanding. Her character had a lot of nuance which is really hard to do. Facial expressions just as powerful as words. She didn’t have the typical 2 minute “overacted Oscar moment” which was refreshing.

Leo was good, not great. DeNiro will be up against Downey Jr for supporting actor. Tough call!
I really enjoyed the movie, we also split it over two nights. I thought Leo was fantastic, as usual, and DeNiro was the best I’d seen him in years.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Killers of the flower moon is a so so movie. Too long. It can be cut down to 2.5 hours without affecting the story. is It based on a true story? King Hale needed to kill the 5 sisters and their mother to get the money? Quite a stupid plan in my opinion.
If criminals were smart they’d earn money honestly. That’s why I loved the Sopranos, they accurately depicted the mobsters and morons.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It remains for me the best picture of the year with Leo and DeNiro best actor and best supporting and Scorsese getting Best Director. The enigma will be if both Leo and DeNiro are nominated for Best Actor

I thought the ending was terrific and unexpected. I never once looked at my watch. We saw it in the theater.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It remains for me the best picture of the year with Leo and DeNiro best actor and best supporting and Scorsese getting Best Director. The enigma will be if both Leo and DeNiro are nominated for Best Actor

I thought the ending was terrific and unexpected. I never once looked at my watch. We saw it in the theater.
Best Actor race is Cillian Murphy vs Paul Giamatti

Reactions: dminches

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can’t disagree. I loved both actors. Couldn’t stand Oppenheimer but I have always liked anything in which Paul Giamatti stars The only thing by Cilian Murphy I disliked was Red Eye and that was because he was so evil. He was just as evil in Peaky Blinders which is one of my favorite series. So I can’t disagree with your thought. Leo has won. Giamatti has been nominated but never won. I would have no problem with either It’s just that I disliked Oppenheimer as there was so much narrative and so little action. But that’s just me. Does any one know what sort of prosthetic they used in Giamatti’s eye

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing