Killers Of The Flower Moon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is a must see movie for so many reasons , some of which are that it is has so many great actors as well as one of the Best Directors and Film Editors in the business. Since Covid we rarely get back to the movies as almost everything is streaming . This one isn't . The movie is 3 hours and 26 minutes "short" as it was such a terrific film to watch. I made certain I hit to the bathroom as I knew I wasn't going to leave a Scorsese movie to pee......suffice to say, I did not look at my watch once as the acting is superb with so many of the actors being ative American. It was filmed entirely in Oklahoma and the cinematography is on a level with Yellowstone and its prequels. The editing is superb and is done as always by Scorsese's life long editor Thelma Schoonmaker. The story is beautifully told as only Scorsese can do. Leonardo and DeNiro are Scorsese's go to best men and both were superb in their roles. Leonardo has put on some weight but then again he's 48 years old now. Going in we had seen the trailers and my wife said she hopes this isn't a gory movie......it's not. There are murders but nothing that makes you want to throw up.

Leonardo was the executive producer and I easily see the movie nominated and perhaps win him an Oscar for Best Actor as well as Best Picture ( I am awaiting Napoleon before I start making my predictions)

DeNiro for sure will get nominated, but would he be up against Leo for Best Actor or would her be Best Supporting Actor nominee. Both played lead roles IMHO

I noticed on Rotten Tomatoes that the Critics liked it more than the people and my only guess would have been the length.

The movie was prefaced by a short by Scorsese talking about how important it was for him to make the film . It is based on. a true story of the Osage Nation and how per capita they were the reaches people on earth at that time

From what I heard there have been two books written on the subject, one by a Native Indian and another by an American. There was some taking to task that the white man's version was the one from which the movie was made. I haven't read either story but this is one epic film

And for a typical Scorsese there is a jaw dropping cameo at the end with 2 academy award winners who have 3 scenes in the film for a few short minutes. And then to top that off, the ending of the film is also epic and wonderfully done and narrated by yet the 3rd jaw dropping cameo appearance

Not to be missed but be warned, pee first or bring your Depenz :D

Reactions: jeff1225 and Al M.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Finally had the opportunity to go see it yesterday. This is the type of movie that the critics love and the average movie goer thinks its ho-hum. I enjoyed it but did not love it. It could have been edited down somewhat but can't say in which scenes. DeNiro played the role to a T. I have never been a DiCaprio fan and kept asking myself throughout the film is this guy really this clueless? Maybe that was good acting.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Finally had the opportunity to go see it yesterday. This is the type of movie that the critics love and the average movie goer thinks its ho-hum. I enjoyed it but did not love it. It could have been edited down somewhat but can't say in which scenes. DeNiro played the role to a T. I have never been a DiCaprio fan and kept asking myself throughout the film is this guy really this clueless? Maybe that was good acting.
Haven’t watched it yet, but Dicaprio’s best acted movies were Aviator and Departed. Latter was an ok movie, more fun, but surprised me that he outacted Matt Damon and Jack N. Since then, he transformed into the angry later Pacino types that always does everything too loud.

I loved the Irishman and Deniro in it. So looking forward to this one. Scorsese seems to get the best out of both.

Steve Williams

That was huis acting

I expect both to be nominated and quite likely will win Best Actor and Best Supporting actor. I thought the movie was absolutely brilliant but overly long. yet that was the story that was told. I never once looked at my watch. It will likely garner the most nominations this year and hopefully another win for Scorsese, DeNiro and Di Caprio.

Reactions: Gardener

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As a purely symbolic and thus admittedly practically meaningless "protest" I choose not to pay money for movie tickets to see movies in which actors who have chosen to become political activists are appearing. As a result I see very few movies in theaters these days.

Steve Williams

As a purely symbolic and thus admittedly practically meaningless "protest" I choose not to pay money for movie tickets to see movies in which actors who have chosen to become political activists are appearing. As a result I see very few movies in theaters these days.
Let's keep-politics out of this Ron. You know better ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Let's keep-politics out of this Ron. You know better ;)
Yes, of course. Sorry if that came close to the line. But I believe it was a neutral statement.

If anyone disagrees I will happily and immediately delete my post.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I went to see the movie last week . I had a day free before Capfest and so I spent three plus hours of my life that I can't get back. THe movie is IMO way to long. It tries to be artsy when it doesn't have too and to be honest its not a great film. I am sure they will win award ( ho hum) but hollywoods assessment of itself is total crap as we all know. They are very self righteous and full of them selves after all. The acting was good, the story is a really good one but the telling of it not so much. The last hour or so was tedious , they just never seemed to move the thing along. Yes this is a horrible thing, yes these people were rotten and evil but the movie needs to be entertaining and IMO it failed. Ths is certainly not Scorcese best film, not close.

Steve Williams

Tell me how you really feel ;)

It is a very long movie and that was foremost in my review. Having said that I thought the story was well told and the acting was superb. Editing as always for a Scorsese movie was excellent as was the cinematography. This was based on a true story and there were two versions in book form. One was done by the “pale face” and the other by a Native American. Scorsese was taken to task picking the pale face story.

as I reflect back on the movies this year I don’t believe that I’ve seen a better one other than Sound of Freedom

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
One must try to separate the art from the artist, but I do admit it's not always easy. My favorite conductor (von Karajan) was an early and enthusiastic Nazi, I'm still not sure how I feel about owning his records.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One must try to separate the art from the artist, but I do admit it's not always easy. My favorite conductor (von Karajan) was an early and enthusiastic Nazi, I'm still not sure how I feel about owning his records.

Actually, I think he was a Nazi more out of convenience and lust for artistic power. Another great conductor and also favorite of mine, Karl Böhm, was more of a really enthusiastic Nazi, if I understand correctly.

Human nature is complex, and humans contain both good and bad parts in their psyche, their intellectual and their moral makeup, in complex mixtures. Frustrating, but something we have to live with.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
This was an excellent film indeed. A quick look at newspaper reviews across the USA on MRQE.com suggest that most everyone agrees. ( An MRQE rating of "85" is a very high score). As we get closer to Oscar nominations, some specific comments:

1) This is some of Scorsese's best directing work. Crisp and creative. He made the length of the movie a non-issue for me. Too bad he won't win the Oscar this year although he will surely be nominated. The obvious favorite is Christopher Nolan for Oppenheimer. But I can't help think that the Oscar will go to Greta Gerwig because Barbie is the leading box office earner of all time for a movie by a woman director, and Hollywood always puts politics front and center when giving out Academy Awards.

2) I can't understand why Variety thinks Lily Gladstone will win the Oscar for Best Actress. She was excellent, but her acting wasn't in the same league as Carey Mulligan who was simply spectacular in Maestro playing Felicia Montealegre, Berstein's wife. In fact, more than one review made the comment that this was her movie more so than it was about Bernstein. They have a point.

3) Nobody would be disappointed to see DiCaprio or DeNiro take home Oscar for their excellent performances here, but Variety is calling it for Bradley Cooper (edited correction) in Maestro. Pitt was excellent as Lenny and has never won Best Actor (although in 2020 he won Best Supporting) whereas Dicaprio and DeNiro have already won the Oscar for Best Actor. The last time DeNiro won was over 40 years ago for Raging Bull (1981) and that kind of career achievement in addition to a phenomenal performance in Killers also moves Academy voters.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Haven’t watched it yet, but Dicaprio’s best acted movies were Aviator and Departed. Latter was an ok movie,
You should see the original movie Infernal Affairs which Departed is the remake of this movie. Much much better than Departed. This movie is one of the best Hong Kong movies of all time. Ked you will love it as the opening scenes mentioned how good tube amps sounding.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should see the original movie Infernal Affairs which Departed is the remake of this movie. Much much better than Departed. This movie is one of the best Hong Kong movies of all time. Ked you will love it as the opening scenes mentioned how good tube amps sounding.

Yes I have seen it it is a very good movie. As I said in the above post I thought Departed was only ok - but Dicaprio's acting in it is very good. I was very surprised when he outacted Matt Damon and Jack in it.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This was an excellent film indeed. A quick look at newspaper reviews across the USA on MRQE.com suggest that most everyone agrees. ( An MRQE rating of "85" is a very high score). As we get closer to Oscar nominations, some specific comments:

1) This is some of Scorsese's best directing work. Crisp and creative. He made the length of the movie a non-issue for me. Too bad he won't win the Oscar this year although he will surely be nominated. The obvious favorite is Christopher Nolan for Oppenheimer. But I can't help think that the Oscar will go to Greta Gerwig because Barbie is the leading box office earner of all time for a movie by a woman director, and Hollywood always puts politics front and center when giving out Academy Awards.

2) I can't understand why Variety thinks Lily Gladstone will win the Oscar for Best Actress. She was excellent, but her acting wasn't in the same league as Carey Mulligan who was simply spectacular in Maestro playing Felicia Montealegre, Berstein's wife. In fact, more than one review made the comment that this was her movie more so than it was about Bernstein. They have a point.

3) Nobody would be disappointed to see DiCaprio or DeNiro take home Oscar for their excellent performances here, but Variety is calling it for Brad Pitt in Maestro. Pitt was excellent as Lenny and has never won Best Actor (although in 2020 he won Best Supporting) whereas Dicaprio and DeNiro have already won the Oscar for Best Actor. The last time DeNiro won was over 40 years ago for Raging Bull (1981) and that kind of career achievement in addition to a phenomenal performance in Killers also moves Academy voters.
You probably made a typo inserting Brad Pitt for Bradley Cooper in Maestro. We watched Maestro over the weekend and enjoyed it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing