Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, the apparently speedy resolution hopefully means it's not too severe an issue and behind you already. sure hope so.

maybe fortunate it happened now when you have these crews handy and responsive.

I appreciate you looking at the bright side there. This was not an issue of water intrusion, or internal flood. So it was yet another a waste of money, but not a big disaster.

The plumber, who is one of the subcontractors who works with my general contractor, said "for some reason your general contractor takes four times longer to build a house than any of the other general contractors I work with."

He also agreed that for the amount of money we have spent on repairs and renovations we could have had a completely brand new, ground-up house for less money and in last time.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Ron,
you sure have had your challenges! The RFI would be a good test of Shunyata gear until you get it mitigated.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
you sure have had your challenges! The RFI would be a good test of Shunyata gear until you get it mitigated.

Thank you, but I am not doing any tweaks at all until the system is installed and settled in and understood.

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
He also agreed that for the amount of money we have spent on repairs and renovations we could have had a completely brand new, ground-up house for less money and in last time.
If you always knew that beforehand. :rolleyes:

Our house in Berlin was restored in the 90s for the price of a new building. 5 years ago we put another € 150k in it. When selling, we were lucky with the price development. That could have ended in a loss.

Ron, I am sure it will be worth your while. Nobody can take this fabulous view away from you. And the listening room looks very good too. Enjoyment will soon be the order of the day.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We bought our chapel in Eastern England in 2016, and effectively will have doubled what we paid for it once final renovations complete in, oh, 2121.
However we'd likely only recoup the price paid plus half the restore budget.
In pure financial terms, not the cleverest decision.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My landscaper just this moment told me there is a river of water flooding down the side of my house, so I must have a burst pipe or something.

It turns out that when the main water line was installed below ground it was not installed properly, and the installer bent the pipe to make it fit. The pipe cracked at this weakened point.

When the plumber just cut out the cracked section of the pipe one can see that the pipe was literally flattened and no longer round.

At least normal thickness, good quality copper pipe was installed originally.

How does a main water line improperly installed below ground result in a river of water flooding down the side of the house? Would the leaking water not be at ground level? I must be missing something. Glad you got it all sorted and there was no additional damage.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you always knew that beforehand. :rolleyes:

Our house in Berlin was restored in the 90s for the price of a new building. 5 years ago we put another € 150k in it. When selling, we were lucky with the price development. That could have ended in a loss.

Ron, I am sure it will be worth your while. Nobody can take this fabulous view away from you. And the listening room looks very good too. Enjoyment will soon be the order of the day.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, StreamFidelity!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How does a main water line improperly installed below ground result in a river of water flooding down the side of the house? Would the leaking water not be at ground level? I must be missing something. Glad you got it all sorted and there was no additional damage.

I guess the dirt below the pipe had become so saturated that the water was finally bubbling up to the surface and running down the hill.

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All this newly discovered RFI definitely inclines me to use balanced interconnects.

Remember that balanced lines reject noise mainly in the audio frequencies - the rejection ratio decreases very fast with the increasing frequency. Other than suppressing RF noise at its origin, screening, signal wire layout and proper grounding are the most efficient ways of dealing with RFI.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Sincere commiserations on your problems Ron.
We have a major housing construction crisis here which first became apparent with the Grenfell Tower fire and external cladding but which also exposed all manner of building defects, most acutely in flats and apartment blocks, particularly lack of fire breaks. Progressive deregulation of the construction industry led to widescale reductions in standards and profiteering compounded by large scale sub contracting.. Up to 1.5m flats affected and unsaleable. Almost entirely leasehold and our medieval leasehold law leaves the leaseholders to foot the whole bill. A huge failure of public policy.
Entreq grounding is worth exploring but it looks like the wiring and cabling is the root problem.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Remember that balanced lines reject noise mainly in the audio frequencies - the rejection ratio decreases very fast with the increasing frequency. Other than suppressing RF noise at its origin, screening, signal wire layout and proper grounding are the most efficient ways of dealing with RFI.

Exactly. But obviously money and bad music is made off of total unsubstantiated paranoia..

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Thank you, but I am not doing any tweaks at all until the system is installed and settled in and understood.
Ron,
Your logic makes sense. It would be interesting, however, to see how much of the noise is filtered out with Shunyata products just out of curiosity.
Evan

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I thought the same thing Peter. Sounded like the water was coming from top of the wall running down the siding.

So glad to hear it was running down the side of the house at the landscaping.

I spent most of my life remodeling or restoring many historic buildings. Renovations and additions to existing homes are a challenge at best but very satisfying.

You have remained amazingly positive through this entire project Ron. Hopefully the end is in site for the 2 of you to enjoy for many years.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I appreciate you looking at the bright side there. This was not an issue of water intrusion, or internal flood. So it was yet another a waste of money, but not a big disaster.

The plumber, who is one of the subcontractors who works with my general contractor, said "for some reason your general contractor takes four times longer to build a house than any of the other general contractors I work with."

Well Ron remember the first rule of real estate is location,location,location. Hopefully your location can't really be duplicated,so maybe all your tribulations will be worth something.
When I remodeled my condo and a sub of mine caused the project to be extended for 9 months,which caused me a real PITA....it really didn't matter because I always loved the location and the property.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
NEW COMPONENT ADDITION ANNOUNCEMENT

Over two years ago I brought back from the remote mountains of deepest, darkest Indonesia a special carving of ebony wood, which is reputed by the jungle natives to have powerful, even mystical, natural acoustics-enhancing properties. I was told that it takes a very long time for the wood to acclimate to a new environment, so it has remained unopened all of this time . . .

IMG_7033.jpg

Last edited:

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
NEW COMPONENT ADDITION ANNOUNCEMENT

Over two years ago I brought back from the remote mountains of deepest, darkest Indonesia a special carving of ebony wood, which is reputed by the jungle natives to have powerful, even mystical, natural acoustics-enhancing properties. I was told that it takes a very long time for the wood to acclimate to a new environment, so it has remained unopened all of this time . . .

View attachment 82248
Tease...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is Sarasvati, the Hindu Goddess of Music:

IMG_7035.jpg

She seemed extremely drowsy and disoriented when I excavated her from her case today.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_7036.JPG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The sound waves from the stereo flow through and between Sarasvati's many arms and the bird's wings. Her ebony wood body imbues the sound with richness and warmth, and filters out harshness and noise.

Centered between the loudspeakers and near the front wall she diffuses any excess build-up of sonic energy.

She watches over the stereo, enveloping the room in a sense of peace and ease, and listens for any unnatural sounds. (I will ask her also to be on the look-out for any impending tube blow-ups.)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing