Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
In my personal case, with my musical genre emphasis on vocals, my opinion about systems and sound -- applying my sonic preferences and sensitivities -- often boils down to the question: "How much do I believe that this sounds like a live person is singing in front of me?" When comparing components I often ask myself: "Which of these components makes me believe more easily that a live person is singing in front of me?"
Ron, do you use unamplified vocals e.g. opera or miked ones, out of interest?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, do you use unamplified vocals e.g. opera or miked ones, out of interest?

Miced recordings; unfortunately I don't care for opera.

Reactions: howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
On PeterA's Natural Sound thread Morricab posted: "Believability is a good term . . ."

I did not want to contribute further to polluting Peter's thread by discussing there general audio philosophy topics not directly relevant to Peter's system.

I am picking up Brad's comment here because I think believability is a good term. It is a one word version of "suspension of disbelief" which I think is a very good concept. I think "suspension of disbelief" bakes into a singular conclusion one's personal subjective sonic preferences and sonic sensitivities and sonic priorities.

In my personal case, with my musical genre emphasis on vocals, my opinion about systems and sound -- applying my sonic preferences and sensitivities -- often boils down to the question: "How much do I believe that this sounds like a live person is singing in front of me?" When comparing components I often ask myself: "Which of these components makes me believe more easily that a live person is singing in front of me?"
It is worth, I think, contemplating just what characteristics of reproduced sound contribute to believability. For Timbre it is a clear recognition of the instrument or voice as distinct from similar instruments or voices even when they are plating the same note and same intensity. Taking it further, being able to distinguish different makes and/or ages of the same type of instrument. So one the first level a violin not sounding like a viola or a trumpet not like a Flugelhorn. Next level example, a Strad vs. Guarneri violins. Further (perhaps impossible through recordings) level examples, an early Strad from a late Strad. It is not that this has to be perfectly accurate because ALL systems and recordings will add Something of their own harmonics on top of the original sound wave harmonic envelope…whose pattern is the very core of Timbre. But it has to allow differentiation and not interfere significantly with the core pattern for an instrument.

When I was measuring Violins (my ex playing them), we had 4; a Strad, an Amati, a Guarneri del Gesu and an inexpensive modern one. They all had the same basic harmonic structure but the ratios of harmonics were different and perhaps in the fuzz some minor ones that were perhaps distinguishing. A system my shift these subtly…or grossly…the less it’s impacted in a perceptible way the more believable. I would think the better your system can differentiate between the same type of instrument of different makes/years the more believable it will be in Timbre whether or not it is totally accurate or not.

Dynamics I think is where even systems with great timbral believability fall short. They either have believable micro but not macro or macro and not micro or they have neither to any great degree.
When I was big into planars, and Stats in particular, I greatly valued timbral rightness, coherence and micro dynamics but even the big Stats were not what I wanted with macro dynamics. It took a long time to find a horn with good transparency and timbre while gaining macro dynamics, keeping micro and coherence while not being absolutely huge like my previous planars. Overall believability improved as a result, although I still love a good planar sound.

Of course, I still consider 3D imaging and soundstage vital to believability and planars can do this very well…here the horns have great focus but are perhaps less expansive in all dimensions…a slight trade off… in my room at least.

Reactions: tima and Argonaut

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ok so you are not into natural sound then

I will stipulate that I do not know Stevie Nicks personally at all, let alone well enough to use my memory of her unamplified voice talking to me in person to evaluate stereo systems using her recording of "Landslide."

Reactions: Alrainbow

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I will stipulate that I do not know Stevie Nicks personally at all, let alone well enough to use my memory of her unamplified voice talking to me in person to evaluate stereo systems using her recording of "Landslide."
Ron, you should try some Shakespeare. It sounds amazing through a high end system, especially on vinyl.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is worth, I think, contemplating just what characteristics of reproduced sound contribute to believability. For Timbre it is a clear recognition of the instrument or voice as distinct from similar instruments or voices even when they are plating the same note and same intensity. Taking it further, being able to distinguish different makes and/or ages of the same type of instrument. So one the first level a violin not sounding like a viola or a trumpet not like a Flugelhorn. Next level example, a Strad vs. Guarneri violins. Further (perhaps impossible through recordings) level examples, an early Strad from a late Strad. It is not that this has to be perfectly accurate because ALL systems and recordings will add Something of their own harmonics on top of the original sound wave harmonic envelope…whose pattern is the very core of Timbre. But it has to allow differentiation and not interfere significantly with the core pattern for an instrument.

When I was measuring Violins (my ex playing them), we had 4; a Strad, an Amati, a Guarneri del Gesu and an inexpensive modern one. They all had the same basic harmonic structure but the ratios of harmonics were different and perhaps in the fuzz some minor ones that were perhaps distinguishing. A system my shift these subtly…or grossly…the less it’s impacted in a perceptible way the more believable. I would think the better your system can differentiate between the same type of instrument of different makes/years the more believable it will be in Timbre whether or not it is totally accurate or not.

Dynamics I think is where even systems with great timbral believability fall short. They either have believable micro but not macro or macro and not micro or they have neither to any great degree.
When I was big into planars, and Stats in particular, I greatly valued timbral rightness, coherence and micro dynamics but even the big Stats were not what I wanted with macro dynamics. It took a long time to find a horn with good transparency and timbre while gaining macro dynamics, keeping micro and coherence while not being absolutely huge like my previous planars. Overall believability improved as a result, although I still love a good planar sound.

Of course, I still consider 3D imaging and soundstage vital to believability and planars can do this very well…here the horns have great focus but are perhaps less expansive in all dimensions…a slight trade off… in my room at least.

Thank you for this discussion of believability!

It is also interesting to read of your sonic priorities, and how you balance the sonic advantages and sonic disadvantages of different speaker topologies to arrive at a compromise which maximizes for you the sum of those priorities and maximizes your suspension of disbelief.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I checked my copy, no information regarding the recording. But as you heard, the recording sounds nice and 'natural'.

Thank you very much for checking!

I cannot tell anything about analog provenance or good recording quality when I am listening to YouTube over the Internet which is a totally digital process.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After five years of delay work on a repair in the room adjacent (combination home theater and audio equipment room below, and LP and tape storage, record cleaning desk, home office and miscellaneous storage in loft above) to my listening room has finally begun.

My new contractor for the final set of renovations to the house, Tony Cosko, of CalCoast Construction, is the same contractor who installed the electrical infrastructure in the listening room several years ago. He is making progress in the adjacent room on a daily basis.

When that work is done we can have the adjacent room painted, and then the adjacent room and the rear two-thirds of the listening room can be carpeted. Then I can begin to move audio components into the listening room.

I alerted Jason Lord of The Source AV in Torrance, California, who incredibly graciously has been storing my four giant Pendragon crates for five years. I'm a bit nervous about the speakers. I hope we do not find rust or spiderwebs around the towers when we finally open the crates. I hope the ribbon drivers themselves were carefully selected and tested from the last batch received by Gryphon from Bohlender-Graebener ("BG") before BG went out of business. I have always been a little bit nervous about the BG ribbon drivers. Flemming assured me that Gryphon has a lifetime supply of good BG drivers for Pendragons in the field.

Jim White is going to re-commence work on my Io. Brian Berdan is going to box up my Siegfried IIs and TL-7.5 Series III. David has incredibly graciously been storing my AS-2000 (first one to order, I believe, and last one to receive!) racks for five years as well.

I can finally see some dim light at the end of the tunnel. I am beginning to think I will have a big stereo playing music closer to the beginning of this decade than to the end of this decade.

4B6AB2EA-0D1E-4A5E-BA3C-DDF73ACB3DC4.jpeg

I will not for the foreseeable future have the funds for a second tonearm/cartridge combination. David will be installing my ZYX UNIverse Premium on an SME 3012R.

The beginning of my long-delayed adventure with the new components of this system is now not that far away.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been playing with the Trifield EM100 EMI tester in the equipment room and in the listening room. The outlets in the new electrical infrastructure system are pretty noisy according to this device. From what I can tell the longer is the length of the circuit from the subpanel to the outlet, the noisier that outlet is.

The main source of noise appears to be the LED lights in the ceiling. I asked the electrician associated with the old, bad contractor for the quietest lighting units available. Apparently he never investigated the matter. Lutron Maestro RF dimmers also seem to be pretty noisy.

While listening to the system I probably won't use the ceiling lights anyway. I will probably get incandescent up-lights that sit on the floor and illuminate the Pendragons like Stonehenge.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
wow Ron, got to be fun to write that post. very happy for you and Tinka to reach this point. excited to actually watch things happen in your room. :)

Thank you very kindly, Mike!:D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a single power supply Io for over 20 years. I just love that crazy thing -- soon with three boxes. And it's impossible not to adore Jim White.

I have seen each of the components in person over the course of time except for the turntable. I'm very excited to see David's AS-2000 turntable and the all-stainless steel racks someday. I can't wait to host David at the house for a week, and watch him set up the stainless steel monster!

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I had a single power supply Io for over 20 years. I just love that crazy thing -- soon with three boxes. And it's impossible not to adore Jim White.

I have seen each of the components in person over the course of time except for the turntable. I'm very excited to see David's AS-2000 turntable and the all-stainless steel racks someday. I can't wait to host David at the house for a week, and watch him set up the stainless steel monster!
5 years...my hat is off to you. Patience is a virtue...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have been playing with the Trifield EM100 EMI tester in the equipment room and in the listening room. The outlets in the new electrical infrastructure system are pretty noisy according to this device. From what I can tell the longer is the length of the circuit from the subpanel to the outlet, the noisier that outlet is.

The main source of noise appears to be the LED lights in the ceiling. I asked the electrician associated with the old, bad contractor for the quietest lighting units available. Apparently he never investigated the matter. Lutron Maestro RF dimmers also seem to be pretty noisy.

While listening to the system I probably won't use the ceiling lights anyway. I will probably get incandescent up-lights that sit on the floor and illuminate the Pendragons like Stonehenge.
Good luck Ron, as long as you do mean Stonehenge and not the Georgia Guidestones lol.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing