My humble 2CH room!

Quick update! I didn't have nearly enough time last night to listen to them, plus I was really tired and couldn't focus in. I'm doing a little bit of listening today, but again, I don't seem to have the focus I really need, so I'll refrain from making any comments until I can spend the day with them on Saturday. Initial impressions are very eye(ear)-opening though and as I said to Gary when I met up with him at TAVES, they have a wonderful balance across all ranges. For instance, I was listening to AJA and the cymbol work on that record is something I've always enjoyed and could be heard clearly and distinctly even through the build-up crescendo of an accompanying sax. The detail was exemplary and that's with a crap cartridge. I think I'm going to have to install the Ortofon Black a little sooner me thinks!

Not surprised about the cymbals. Gary's tweeters are about as good as they get. Have fun.

I installed the Ortofon 2M Black and the Pete Riggle CCM heavy counterweight. The cheapie $12 Digital Stylus Force gauge worked like a charm. Nice! Ortofon recommends a 1.5g tracking weight, but I have it set at 1.6g and eased up on the anti-skate to about half. I'll adjust if needed.

I played some Dido, Donald Fagen, Amercia, JATP, Hank Mobley and Stevie Wonder. The detail retrieved by this cartridge is wonderful. It completely blows the old Sumiko out of the water and is also better than the Grado Reference Platinum for its finer mid-high level detail.

I've been playing around with the positioning of the G7.1f's and have them where I think they are best suited to my room. With their tweeter/bass control knobs set at 12 o'clock to start, I found they were a little too neutral for my liking. I thought the highs were too edgy and the bass lacking, so I made some adjustments. I have them set at 11 for the tweeter and 2 for the bass, which is giving me a closer approximation to the type of sound I like. I'm going to play some more vinyl using these settings and then start making smaller increment changes to fine-tune. I love having these controls! It gives the user so much more flexibility!

Here's a better shot of the room. I took it in a completely dark room and used the flash. Much better than the first one I posted.

IMG_1478.JPG

I may not have been paying attention early on, but is it correct that yours are the (slightly) older model of the G7f series? I bet you'll get the upgrade itch for the rest of your components soon; the pre-amp and amp won't keep up. :)

I may not have been paying attention early on, but is it correct that yours are the (slightly) older model of the G7f series? I bet you'll get the upgrade itch for the rest of your components soon; the pre-amp and amp won't keep up. :)

Yes, they are the G7.1f model as opposed to the newly introduced G7.2f.

So far the amp and preamp are working fine with it, although one always does look to improve I suppose. If I were to change anything it would be related to the source. A better tonearm is definitely in the planning stages and after that I'll consider the rest of my options. My financial position doesn't allow for more than that in any given year, so I tend not to get caught up in the "upgraditis" disease that many others are afflicted by. I'm very grateful that I've been able to put together what I have so far, and rather than worry about what's next, I take out some vinyl and just listen to some good music. That always invigorates and excites me, and is the reason I have what I have. I am very much a media first person!:D

Hi John,

Interesting your comments on the ortofon vs grado, i have found similar comparisons with my other cartridges , the grado is not a pull all the details out type cartridge , what it does for me, is provide a correctness in size , power and pace of the recording , there's more body and fullness on instruments , voices , etc ...

Anyway again congrats on the upgrade and enjoy .....

Hi John,

Interesting your comments on the ortofon vs grado, i have found similar comparisons with my other cartridges , the grado is not a pull all the details out type cartridge , what it does for me, is provide a correctness in size , power and pace of the recording , there's more body and fullness on instruments , voices , etc ...

Anyway again congrats on the upgrade and enjoy .....

Very well put. I remain a fan to this day as a result.

And thanks! I'm tweaking with the position of the speakers and the gain controls as I play stuff, and I can sense that I'm getting closer...at least for an initial start-up that I'll live with for a few weeks. I think by the end of the day tomorrow I'll have it at a point whereby I can say...ok, this is it. I can then leave it and make adjustments as I familiarize myself with its sound in my room.

And thanks! I'm tweaking with the position of the speakers and the gain controls as I play stuff, and I can sense that I'm getting closer...at least for an initial start-up that I'll live with for a few weeks. I think by the end of the day tomorrow I'll have it at a point whereby I can say...ok, this is it. I can then leave it and make adjustments as I familiarize myself with its sound in my room.

That's what's it is all about, and what audiophiles fail at most often. Instead of moving speakers (even if they had no controls to tweak), they spend $$$ on cables and upgrades.

John, don't forget to enjoy the music while you are tweaking :)

Hello, Gary. Somehow I don't think he'll let you down on that one. ;)

Tom

That's what's it is all about, and what audiophiles fail at most often. Instead of moving speakers (even if they had no controls to tweak), they spend $$$ on cables and upgrades.

John, don't forget to enjoy the music while you are tweaking :)

Like you Gary ...it has always been about the music first and foremost, and I see no need to change that. I have played some terrific stuff today and I still have a few hours left to boot. I listened to one particular song that I think may qualify as a reference track. It's certainly one never heard at shows and the like, so that may be enough of an impetus. I want to listen to it a few more times though.

Hello, Gary. Somehow I don't think he'll let you down on that one. ;)

Tom

Somehow Tom I think you may be right! ;)

John, congrats on your new speakers.
BTW, I don't think you should call your system humble anymore....just call it great. I'm sure it sounds that way.

John, congrats on your new speakers.
BTW, I don't think you should call your system humble anymore....just call it great. I'm sure it sounds that way.

Haha! Hi Davey! I may need to ask the boys to change my thread title to something more appropriate, although I am naturally quite humble in person. I'm not much for the "grandiose" and whatever that implies or encompasses.

It's starting to sound really good, but I have more adjustments to make. In the end I know I will be very happy with the good fortune that the Audio Gods have bestowed on me these last 6-8 weeks. The cartridge change was planned, but the amp and the speakers weren't. They just kinda fell into my lap. I'm just going with the flow and enjoying it all.

In fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I decided to take a video. I wish the quality was better, but I'm just so excited and pleased that I needed to share my joy.

John-Congrats on the new speakers and cartridge. I'm very happy for you. What camera did you use to shoot your video?

John-Congrats on the new speakers and cartridge. I'm very happy for you. What camera did you use to shoot your video?

Thanks Mark! - I used a Canon Powershot A710. It's a 5MP point-and-shoot and about 5 years old. I would really love to get an entry-level DLSR one day.

Thanks Mark! - I used a Canon Powershot A710. It's a 5MP point-and-shoot and about 5 years old. I would really love to get an entry-level DLSR one day.

Buy a Canon S100 John and you'll forget about DSLR. You can put it in your pocket. Sorry back OT

Buy a Canon S100 John and you'll forget about DSLR. You can put it in your pocket. Sorry back OT

Hi Steve! - No problem and not OT at all as far as I'm concerned. Does that camera do HD Video?

Been playing a lot of America as well...just love that band!

Thanks guys....I'm gonna check out the S100 (saw a review on dpreview).

Luvvin' the speakers Gary! Very different from the Totems, but I love the detail they present and the balance.....super happy!:D

One of the best America LPs was recorded by George Martin and the sound is really, really good.

One of the best America LPs was recorded by George Martin and the sound is really, really good.

I am not normally a fan of Greatest Hits packages, but History: America's Greatest Hits (remixed and produced by Martin) is a beauty. Actually, I like Warner/Electra/Reprise pressings in general.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing