New Dedicated Listening Room

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Is this a perception of a single layer of drywall on a wood stud? Or 2 layers with the squares of adhesive backed damping material (forgot the brand) on metal channel.

I was watching a Audiphile Junkie video on Rhapsody in Dallas. He has multiple layers of 1/4" drywall with aluminum plate sandwiched inbetween. I'm not doing that either as aluminum plate is god awful expensive. I can hardly afford chunks I use on my boat to mount stuff. But I did wonder about 4 or more layers of 1/4" inch drywall compared to 2 of 1/2 or 5/8.

I'm sure I will feel very confused like Ron was when he started. People telling you do this and that and having to throttle them back to some degree. I have kept my eyes open for a while. No one pops as the definitive expert on room design for a 2 channel listening room. Lots of people are noted for recording rooms or theatre. And many are engaged in heroic efforts that cost more than my whole house. Im going to have maybe $40k to work this room over. I can only do so much.

Reactions: Pokey77

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I tried reading Rons 5 favorite rooms. No info in there. Just noise. Anyhow. I sat and thought about what I have heard myself. I get the drywall having noise. I get how a cinder block would be different. I get how walls of records and shelves are a benefit. Makes me wonder about damping the drywall. And what does the screw and glue framing do. Also about using wall paper instead of paint. My wife wants to use wall paper somewhere in the house.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Is this a perception of a single layer of drywall on a wood stud? Or 2 layers with the squares of adhesive backed damping material (forgot the brand) on metal channel.

I was watching a Audiphile Junkie video on Rhapsody in Dallas. He has multiple layers of 1/4" drywall with aluminum plate sandwiched inbetween. I'm not doing that either as aluminum plate is god awful expensive. I can hardly afford chunks I use on my boat to mount stuff. But I did wonder about 4 or more layers of 1/4" inch drywall compared to 2 of 1/2 or 5/8.

I'm sure I will feel very confused like Ron was when he started. People telling you do this and that and having to throttle them back to some degree. I have kept my eyes open for a while. No one pops as the definitive expert on room design for a 2 channel listening room. Lots of people are noted for recording rooms or theatre. And many are engaged in heroic efforts that cost more than my whole house. Im going to have maybe $40k to work this room over. I can only do so much.
When I had a dedicated theater room in a house (years back), I used R-channel (resilient channel) for the drywall to decrease transmission of sound to other parts of the house. One effect of R-channel is that the sheet rock will flex and absorb (reduce) bass. The walls were insulated with rock wool, which is denser and more acoustically absorbent than regular insulation. We used 5/8 sheet rock on walls and ceiling since it was denser.

An optimal room dimensions for good sound, with minimal treatment, is a different animal. That's where a knowledgeable acoustics expert can help with the dimensions for the room and placement of speakers and listening position. Or, do enough research to do it on your own.

The house we live in now has optimal dimensions, but the sound travels everywhere. The room is 19 feet wide, 40 feet long and 11 feet high. The 40 foot length includes opening the doors to the bedrooms adjoining the listening rooms. Otherwise, the listening room would be 20 feet long. The room has an open stairway to the upper levels, so there is no practical way to seal if off. The stairway makes a superb bass port.

In other words - its two separate topics. One of optimal room size for optimal sound and minimizing treatments. Two is construction techniques and materials to isolate the room from external sound and minimize transmission of the sound to other parts of the house. There are a lot of choices, and many different products.

Good luck with build. Whatever you decide, we will be waiting for the electrical panel and distribution details!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Looking at flooring today I found this wood for walls. This is going to find a place in my listening room. Maybe the ceiling.

The picture is a few different styles. About $6 a sqft. Very affordable.

Attachments

• 20240405_170546.jpg
    20240405_170546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: Long Live Analog

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

you should go by the best systems you heard. or check out more rooms. When you replicate the system, replicate the philosophy as far as possible. For example If you wanted Wilson’s check out Marty’s room for SS or Steve’s for valves and depending on size you have available.

if you liked Howard’s big horns, check with him what he thinks. Too much mixing recommendations, you will end up with SETs driving scintilla in an highly damped square room

Reactions: MusicTraveler

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
There’s also an acoustic variant available that may be better though more expensive. I’m sure there are US suppliers.
https://www.acupanel.co.uk/products/acoustic-slat-wood-panels
These panels have a felt layer behind them and are designed to facilitate conversation - not music reproduction. GIK offers a variation on this architectural paneling with different thicknesses of their absorber material behind it - FYI: https://www.gikacoustics.com/?s=flatfusor&post_type=product

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
you should go by the best systems you heard. or check out more rooms. When you replicate the system, replicate the philosophy as far as possible. For example If you wanted Wilson’s check out Marty’s room for SS or Steve’s for valves and depending on size you have available.

if you liked Howard’s big horns, check with him what he thinks. Too much mixing recommendations, you will end up with SETs driving scintilla in an highly damped square room
I own the best system I could not afford anymore. Were retired. Its amazing how little distance a few million in the bank gets you. Its sort of sobering. Fortunately I can grow my own food!!!!! Guests will be fed the chicken you pick.from the flock and whatever greens you pick from the garden. I'm not responsible for what my white lightning does to your vision.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I own the best system I could not afford anymore.
You can always ask your wife to move back to the city to fund your hobby.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Mike L has said I think a detached room makes better sense. I did this having my place 500 miles from my family
it does make sense to me to have a detached room
reg the farm while that sounds great for me going to pickup stuff at farms is more manageable lol.
all the best

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My room is semi detached. A closed breezeway between the main house and garage.

I am interested in getting a couple tiny homes that would be a sleeping space and bathroom for guests. I enjoy sleeping in a guest house at friends more than the main house. Its nice to have a little privacy when friends are staying for a few days or more.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I own the best system I could not afford anymore. Were retired. Its amazing how little distance a few million in the bank gets you. Its sort of sobering.
A million bucks today is equivalent to about $80k after WWII. Of course a $30k house was palatial, and a white collar $10k salary was quite good. And $80k was a great nest egg.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use to go to Whole Foods 5 years ago and was lucky to get out with $100. Now its $100 per bag. Inflation is real. Lets get real political now on why its happening and shut this thread down.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I use to go to Whole Foods 5 years ago and was lucky to get out with $100. Now it’s $100 per bag. Inflation is real. Let’s get real political now on why it’s happening and shut this thread down.
A million bucks in 1951 was worth about $475k in 1875.

So the problem is an old one, even if it is accelerating.

Like many threads, once you get beyond two or three pages, it becomes less useful to an interested latecomer.

I won’t add more. I just thought your comment about the value of money might be put in context.

No more from me in this thread. I do have some anecdotes about a friend who built a handful of 600 ft cottages with the goal of renting them via Air BbB. And I do congratulate you on your room

:cool:

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A million bucks in 1875 was worth about $475k in 1951.

So the problem is an old one, even if it is accelerating.

Like many threads, once you get beyond two or three pages, it becomes less useful to an interested latecomer.

:cool:
Good point. I should kill this thread and start over when I begin. I to groan when a interesting top pops up and its 20 pages or more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing