Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There actually is a guy building WE horns in France using the oak from the same forest in the US where WE sourced theirs.
https://resistormag.com/features/western-electric-horn-systems-time-travel-with-tim-gurney/

I visited Tim in 2015 or so. For any vintage speakers there are different people making replicas. If someone is interested best is to visit them and listen to the model and see if you like them. There is also one at Silvercore's (a 16a) made by the South Korean guy, but Silvercore uses various drivers including WE, GIP, his own, and then there is are a couple of others in Germany with Line Magnetic drivers

Reactions: MarcelNL

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard from Mr Chung my vintage guru that they did not sparethe material cost in vintage audio and used vest matrial available in top Western Electric system.

Some of the old materials are no longer in production due to cost and environmental issue.

But modern high end. manufactures try to save the cost of material as much as possibble.

WE was an all out assault by the govt and Bell Labs as they wanted to build talkies. It was a revolution in movies. All those were big expense theater productions.

AlNiCo was moved to ferrite because the price of Cobalt shot up.

The Be diaphragms used by Goto changed to duralumin in 2005 only because of the cost, as Be became very expensive due to countries using it for defense/atomic purposes. But their upper models continue to be Beryllium

Today Intact Audio and others who use autoformers are considered premium volume control, but Western Electric used inductive volume control 100 years ago. This was dropped for potentiometer in later decades due to cost.

I also mentioned this here http://zero-distortion.org/tad-4003-dual-woofer-flh-leifs-system-norway/

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I have listened to a few autoformers LDRs etc, and concluded that the Khozmo shunt (1 naked Z foil resistor in the direct signal path) resistor ladder stepped attanuator sounded better in my application, YMMV

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
WE was an all out assault by the govt and Bell Labs as they wanted to build talkies. It was a revolution in movies. All those were big expense theater productions.

AlNiCo was moved to ferrite because the price of Cobalt shot up.

The Be diaphragms used by Goto changed to duralumin in 2005 only because of the cost, as Be became very expensive due to countries using it for defense/atomic purposes. But their upper models continue to be Beryllium

Today Intact Audio and others who use autoformers are considered premium volume control, but Western Electric used inductive volume control 100 years ago. This was dropped for potentiometer in later decades due to cost.

I also mentioned this here http://zero-distortion.org/tad-4003-dual-woofer-flh-leifs-system-norway/

Same thing with field coils to permanent magnets.

One area of real progress has been the reintroduction of old technologies.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
I understand you Bonzo and agree. The majority of my friends who have heard my system - some audiophiles and others simply friends and musicians - think my new system with the vintage horns is much more realistic sounding then my old system with modern speakers. Some even used the term "natural" to describe it. However, two of my audiophile friends have been exposed to good vintage with my Vitavox speakers and Lamm and they do not seem to really like it. Al may be right: it comes down to preference. This is what microstrip says also: in the end, personal preference is what matters most. Hard to argue against preference.
Some of my friends who I would go to audio shows with think that “audiophile” systems are those that overemphasize treble and compress dynamics so that what was barely audible in the recording becomes front and center. Some modern systems trade in such parlor tricks and are described as “detailed” whereas I just find them annoying. Call me a Luddite but I still listen to music and not test tones. Would like to hear your full system. I’m probably in your camp.

Reactions: thomask and jespera

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

My son's wedding was held in Daegu city which is located 200 miles south of Seoul.

I happened to listen to full range systems in Daegu with the aid of my friend over there.

They are pretty impressive for the size.

Most full range system tend to have big enclosure.

But 6.5 inch full range with alnico magnet is about bookself size.

The speaker was driven by 20 watts custom amp with damping control and equalization.

The source wad streaming through I phone.

This is not SOTA system but quite good for the money (4k$ for pair of 6.5 inch full range with alnico magnet and custom amp).

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...This is not SOTA system but quite good for the money (4k$ for pair of 6.5 inch full range with alnico magnet and custom amp).
The custom matching of amp and speaker ( with damping and eq adjustment ) is quite smart and appropriate to make a 'not SOTA but still very good' system. Shows the designer concerned with balancing the various compromises...

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The custom matching of amp and speaker ( with damping and eq adjustment ) is quite smart and appropriate to make a 'not SOTA but still very good' system. Shows the designer concerned with balancing the various compromises...
The designer of this system is a professor in mechanical engineering.

He makes this system as half hobby and half startup.

It has some potential but need lot of marketing effort.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

My son's wedding was held in Daegu city which is located 200 miles south of Seoul.

I happened to listen to full range systems in Daegu with the aid of my friend over there.

They are pretty impressive for the size.

Most full range system tend to have big enclosure.

But 6.5 inch full range with alnico magnet is about bookself size.

The speaker was driven by 20 watts custom amp with damping control and equalization.

The source wad streaming through I phone.

This is not SOTA system but quite good for the money (4k$ for pair of 6.5 inch full range with alnico magnet and custom amp).
Nice.

Reactions: thomask

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This system sounds pretty nice but with smal size at reasonable cost.

If I need second high end system for my bedroon, I may go for it.

But I am concentration on setting vintage one.
What do you think you will gain in vintage over your Lansche 4.1 speakers? What amp are you using on those speakers?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
What do you think you will gain in vintage over your Lansche 4.1 speakers? What amp are you using on those speakers?
I used to use Silbatone 300b amp for Lanshe 4.1 in small listeing space ( 16 ft wide 25 ft long 10 ft high).

But after moving to larger listening space, Siilbatone does not have enough power to drive it.

Now I setteled with Line Magnetic 508 fitted with Nos tubes.

I had been using Lansche for 16 years so far since I enjoy pristine treble out of plasma tweeter.

Lansche also goes deep and pretty dynamic due to two 10 inch actively driven woofers per side.

The only thing that I expect from vintage audio is somewhat more natural reverberration out of classical box.

I could be happy with Altec A7 or maybe not.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...But after moving to larger listening space, Siilbatone does not have enough power to drive it.

Now I setteled with Line Magnetic 508 fitted with Nos tubes..
Have you had the chance to hear the Silbatone NeoHyb amps on your speakers or while in Korea?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Have you had the chance to hear the Silbatone NeoHyb amps on your speakers or while in Korea?
I did hear Noehyb in Silbatone factory audition room 3 years ago, but not with my speaker.

Although it was quite good, I will stick with tube amplifer since I enjoy tube rolling.

I have good cache of Nos tubes.

LIne Magnetic 508 or 805 is a dream amp for tube roller with 805, 300b 6sn7, 6sl7 tubes.

There is almost infinite nos of possible combination.

I have 12 pairs of Nos 805, 5 pairs of 300b including We 300b made in 1940's.

I alslo have 80 pairs of 6sn7 including Russian variants, 6f8g and 20 differnt kind of 6sl7 tubes.

In addition, I also have Telefuken, RCA 12ax7 and Amperex 12au7 for Rogue Cronus Magnum II .

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing