Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
We had a tiny audio fest the last few days, comparing variou tweetrs and setups in my Trionor design. The Decca Kelly ribbon, the Klangfilm 302 mid/high horn with the original filter, a huge JBL horn tweeter, the JBL075, a Goto horn tweeter and a Stentorian, using three different tube amps and passive and tube active filter (adjustable frequency range and Q, all exotic parts like Tamura UTC etc transformers, black gate caps, mesh tube rectifier etc)

Final verdict is that the setup as is but swapping the 075 for the Stentorian is best, magic happened after we adjusted the tweeters for time so it got very late (think sun up)

20220804_211350.jpg

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I just took out the shunt volume attanuator (dale resistors and a TX2575) and replaced it with the losless Adagio volume control, wow what a difference that makes!
A good while ago I compared volume attanuator solutions and the Khozmo sounded best (by far, including TVCs), this is next level transparent. three blind mice Tsuyoshi ..

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just took out the shunt volume attanuator (dale resistors and a TX2575) and replaced it with the losless Adagio volume control, wow what a difference that makes!
A good while ago I compared volume attanuator solutions and the Khozmo sounded best (by far, including TVCs), this is next level transparent. three blind mice Tsuyoshi ..

What is this Adagio volume control of which you speak?

Reactions: DasguteOhr

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
What is this Adagio volume control of which you speak?
Cees came up with a system changing the reference voltage for the R2R network to control the output volume, It's a motor driven potentiometer that controls the output volume, I never gave it much thought until I tried it earlier today...it works!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Sounds good, one little question what shunt resistors did you use Z-foil vishay?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

Wow! Quite dynamic!

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Reactions: DasguteOhr

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021

The bass fiddle and piano have enough weight to sound "present". Balance is sweet too, very "natural" sound. I like the sound a lot, the looks ...ah.

Reactions: iain and ACHiPo

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
LOL, looks are Steampunk not max WAF...this is a prototype, and only one channel...

Last edited:
Reactions: iain

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
After 40 years, I've tried 'em all (well, not really all) but keep going back to my LS3/5As.
those sound great with the right amp, yet they also show their age IMO...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not on an LS3/5A. If you think anything is better for reproducing the majority of the piano range (Bösendorfers excepted) then something is wrong elsewhere in your system.

I'm talking about on the weird klangfilm video.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes a tad metallic. Closely miked?
Or foo foo exotic parts. Hard to know. Having to cover the wood makes me think they've been working backwards from some harsh sound they didn't like in the stereo.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
As soon as I replace the delaminating plywood panel on the back of the right bass cabinet so it doesn’t buzz I will gladly do so.
Can you please post some classical videos?
Ok bonzo75, I was able to find one amongst my collection that you should be familiar with, just for you:

Last edited:
Reactions: iain

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing