2225432-fca370f3-vintage-speakers.jpg
2225431-d5772a33-vintage-speakers (1).jpg
Pair of Vintage Speakers 3' x 2' x 16".
Each with -
1 JBL Model LE175 (DLH) 8 Ohm horn/Driver
1 JBL Model D130 8 Ohm 15" woofer
1 ElectoVoice Midrange Driver 1823M/1824M
Original cabinets. Built in the 60’s by Speaker City in Vancouver

Another interesting vitage speaker came up for sale at 2500cdn across the Canada border within driving distance from my home.

I will not collect all the vintage speakers in North America. ;)

But I am curios how it will sound at my listening room.

By the way I am enjoying Cayin 300b pp amp to drive Altec A7 after tube rolling.

It sounds relaxed and musical but with realistic piano sound.

Last edited:

This one is after Sylvania 6f8g. :)

Can you notice much cleaenr sound with less edge?

As a next step, I will replace stock quad ECC82 tubes with quad

TUNG SOL USA JTL 5814 12AU7 ..​

I just put NOS Sylvania 12AU7s (6189W) in the input stage of my Ayon Helios along with Polam\Telam NOS EL84s for the driver tubes. Really nice improvement...better tonality and dimensionality from the new production Electro-Harmonix crap it came with.

Reactions: thomask
I just put NOS Sylvania 12AU7s (6189W) in the input stage of my Ayon Helios along with Polam\Telam NOS EL84s for the driver tubes. Really nice improvement...better tonality and dimensionality from the new production Electro-Harmonix crap it came with.
s-l1600 (11).jpg

I also bought Four Matched 1962 Sylvania 12AU7A ECC82 two week ago for Cayin.

View attachment 85009
View attachment 85010
Each with -

Another interesting vitage speaker came up for sale at 2500cdn across the Canada border within driving distance from my home.

By the way I am enjoying Cayin 300b pp amp to drive Altec A7 after tube rolling.

Thanks for the great pictures.lovely speakers

Reactions: thomask
View attachment 85009
View attachment 85010
Each with -

congratulation. amazing driver l 175 with acoustic lens. I think they are built in. 7-10 inches of feet should be placed under the loudspeaker
Have fun with cabinet
s-l300 (1).jpgpage2.jpgjbl-spec-c37-speakers-130a-n1200_1_c66f10fb99443e8cd033f446c9396ab2.jpg

They are after replacement of Sylvnia 6f8g and

TUNG SOL USA JTL 5814.​

only digital i can`t find the lp in my chaos, with Lp smoother and more dynamic.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr
Open baffle and full range is a great means to an end!

It never ceases to amaze me how well a sound fingerprint of a system is conveyed via something like YT...usually recorded on a (mono!) phone, ripped apart by some codec and reproduced on a totally different system...and still that sound fingerprint comes through.

I can certainly hear the difference between their previous beryllium tweeter and the newer silk dome.
I spent my entire audio life disliking Wilson Audio speakers because of the metal dome tweeter.

And now, I think, the XVX is my favorite cone speaker I've ever heard. I don't hold a grudge.

I spent my entire audio life disliking Wilson Audio speakers because of the metal dome tweeter.

And now, I think, the XVX is my favorite cone speaker I've ever heard. I don't hold a grudge.
Wilson Watt Puppy 6 is the only speaker that I had lived for less than 6 months at my listening room.

But Wilson Max 2 that listened at CES on 2009 did not sound bad. ;)

Im

i am with you Ron.I didn’t like wilsons for the very same reason.i think they have come along away with the soft dome.

wilson definitely makes good speakers, but other fathers have beautiful daughters too;). German proverb
44293-0-44293.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing