Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I did read one post of someone using a tad without crossover from very low. Was this the one without a crossover?
No, certainly not without a crossover. I’ll try to dig out the details as I can’t remember them now - at the time I was lucky enough to have a big room and his setup was optimised for his much smaller space so I went with something else. Looking back I was both naive and stupid and fixated on “bigger is better”. If I had been more sensible I would have followed his advice and enjoyed better sound at lower cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, certainly not without a crossover. I’ll try to dig out the details as I can’t remember them now - at the time I was lucky enough to have a big room and his setup was optimised for his much smaller space so I went with something else. Looking back I was both naive and stupid and fixated on “bigger is better”. If I had been more sensible I would have followed his advice and enjoyed better sound at lower cost.

With horns bigger is better

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Accuphase DG-68 Digital Voicing Equalizer

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. A great conceptsound enough to serve as the foundation for an independent democratic nation.
www.stereophile.com
www.stereophile.com

It seems that JVS had been fascinated with Accuphase DG-68 Digital Voicing Equalizer .

View attachment 83141

I had been usin DG-28 model since 2001.

This weekend I will bring DG-28 down to second floor ( I have only few items left on third floor including my headphone set up and etc).

Altec A7 gave enough signal at 31.5 hz, but only faint rumbling at 25hz, 20hz, when I tested Stereophile test disc.

I may try to have A7 to give deeper bass and more flat response through all frequency.
I set up DG-28 last night after 11PM. :(

Using the mike, it scans 64 frequencies and then adjust the spectrum in the digital domain.

It has 4 pre sets so that I can choose the adjusted results for 4 different speakers.

Lansche 4.1 tends to sound sweet and warm but after room equlaization, it's sounds get sharper and crispy.

The result with Altec A7 is very satisfactory.:)

A7 tend to be a little bit too aggressive in the treble.

I mean it give slight harsh edge from time to time.

But room correction and equalization through DG-28 seems to ameliorate such harsh edge.

After equalization, Heifetz' s violin sounds warm and full freshed.

But without equalization, his viloin sounds somewhat metallic. :confused:

After equalization, the bass seems to be little bit tighter and more extended but not a day and night difference.

To conclude, I am happy with equalization on Altec A7. :cool:

The most pronounced effect is to get the treble clean and make violin sounds warm and full freshed.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Open Baffle - Interesting suggestion.

However, I'm afraid open baffles have much greater room and placement requirements in terms of distance from the back wall and side wall and to listener. Even the nature of the walls (smooth or diffusion) is likely to be important - at least that's how one electrostatic manufacturer explained it to me. In the case of horns, the distance to the rear wall and to the side wall should play a much more subordinate role, including the nature of the walls. Or am I mistaken?

Best regards
Verdier
Dipoles can actually be placed quite close to side walls without serious issues because the figure 8 dispersion pattern minimizes the first reflection point. If it is a tall line source like a big electrostat, then both floor and ceiling bounce are largely eliminated as well. I found a distance of 1.0- 1.2 meters from the wall behind the speakers (oddly often called the front wall) works quite well for bass cancellation issues and spacious sound.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
:cool::cool:

Using the mike, it scans 64 frequencies and then adjust the spectrum in the digital domain.

It has 4 pre sets so that I can choose the adjusted results for 4 different speakers.

Lansche 4.1 tends to sound sweet and warm but after room equlaization, it's sounds get sharper and crispy.

But room correction and equalization through DG-28 seems to ameliorate such harsh edge.

After equalization, the bass seems to be little bit tighter and more extended but not a day and night difference.

The most pronounced effect is to get the treble clean and make violin sounds warm and full freshed.
I also tested frequency extension using Stereophie test disc tracks.

Before Eq, useful signal until 31.5 hz, only faint rumbling at 25hz and 20hz.

After Eq, useful signal until 31.5 hz and at 25hz , only faint rumbling 20hz.

Thus I do not need subwoofer with A7 in my room.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Not sure I prefer the EQ on the Heifetz. Also, what is that faint clicking sound throughout the recording? Sounds like a movie real or something.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Not sure I prefer the EQ on the Heifetz. Also, what is that faint clicking sound throughout the recording? Sounds like a movie real or something.
Clicking sound is from my chair moving.

I can switch back to uneq with touch of button.

Personally I prefer equalized Heifetz but it is up to personal taste.

But with Queens' rock music, equalization seems to tame the sound too much.

I may prefer to play rock music without equalization.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
will definitely sound better, but somehow the driver lacks soul in the music.
Back to vintage speaker when you listen most time classical music, buy a Studer A727Cd a little set tube amp and fieldcoil speaker.
Amazing clarity in the tones,you will get a lot tears of joy and goosebumps.;)
I wish to get field coil driver inside horn.

Western vintage will be first choice, but other vintage one will be also considered.:)

Reactions: DasguteOhr

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

DG28 is connected between music server and Dac with minimal loss of details and timber.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I wish to get field coil driver inside horn.

Western vintage will be first choice, but other vintage one will be also considered.:)
I wish could hear lansings masterpiece 4116

Or WE 555 Horn...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love Nick Cave and his Voice...my openbaffle sorry hand held tablet

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I wish could hear lansings masterpiece 4116

Or WE 555 Horn...
I had been listeining to my friend's Westren Electric horn system last 20 years.

He will build public Westren Electric horn system museum later next year with budget of 200 million USD.

His father died early this year with 250million USD bequethed to public foundation for audio system.

You may drop in it if you have chance to visit Seoul later next year.

I wish to have one of Westren Electric horn system myself.

About 2 years ago, one system in neat condition came to the market with price tag of 250k usd.

But I could not afford it at that time.

I had better save cash for the next good one.;)

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I wanted to go to the south of France this year to hear it, unfortunately the good man suddenly passed away:eek:. a bricked bass horn.

You can buy a WE 555 Replica in wood with driver at Hornsolution ,Germany
ACE63D92-A659-4AB1-B1D1-4D584C1EC519.jpeg pavillon + grave.jpg

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
t925a.jpg

I added this Fostex supertweeter to Altec A7

I had kept them for 20 years since I had used to supplement for full range speakers.

They sound much more open and extended with nice decay. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jespera

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

It sound much more clear and open now.

I may not need Western Electric after all unless i am greedy.

This system sounds good enough to me with clean treble and effortless dynamics. :)

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You know you deserve Western Electric Thomas… :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hartsfields also look good… just sayin

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing