Major League Baseball

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well, at the start of the season or any part through the season would never have made me think Cardinals at the end of it all

They should be up 3-0 but blew game 2

Pujols is emerging at the right time, finally

Can someone explain to me why the Cards have home field advantage if Texas had a better win-loss percentage or was it because the NL won last year?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Can someone explain to me why the Cards have home field advantage if Texas had a better win-loss percentage or was it because the NL won last year?

National League won the All-Star game giving the National League team home field for the World Series.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I thought it arbitrarily alternated form year to year?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

They changed it a few years ago to make the game more competitive. I know that Bud Selig was unhappy when Barry Bonds was goofing around with Tori Hunter (then with the Twins) after Hunter made a leaping catch over the wall to rob Bonds of a home run in an All-Star game a few years ago. Bonds ran out and playfully threw Hunter over his shoulder.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Nope, they changed the rule a couple of years ago to the league that won the All-Star game owning home field advantage. Also made the All Star game of more value so people might watch :)

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
The Cards are this year's Giants. Got hot at the right time, played playoff ball for a month, and there you go.
Pujols is a beast and a free agent. His agent's probably drooling bout now.
What about adding another wild card? I'm not enthused about this

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
slow your roll. St. louis is up by 1 game. This could easily by a 1-0 game tonight with Texas right back in it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Cards are this year's Giants. Got hot at the right time, played playoff ball for a month, and there you go.
Pujols is a beast and a free agent. His agent's probably drooling bout now.
What about adding another wild card? I'm not enthused about this

Only problem is which teams can afford Pujols? With the Yankees out of the bidding, his market and price is limited. And first base is a pretty crowded position. Phillies aren't going to increase their payroll, even with Howard out for much of the next season. Boston has Gonzalez. Dodgers don't have any money. What other teams have the money to throw at Pujols? Giants? Angels? Nationals? Don't think so. And don't forget Fielder is available too. No, my bet is that Pujols stays in St. Louie. ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My 1-0 prophecy is holding at least through 6 1/2 innings.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I should have bet on Texas! I was right times four.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Holland silenced the Cardinals' big bats. Let's see who can shut them out again tomorrow. Best of 3.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Exciting game. Texas survived at least 2 bases loaded situations with minimal damage. Tied at 6th. Great game and great series so far!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Game 6 of the WS is one of the reasons why I still like the game of baseball. 1 strike and 1 out to go for Texas for the title and they couldn't get it. Cardinals are scrappy and gritty. What an ending homer by Freese to set up a Game 7. They tore up his jersey aftewards. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Game 6 of the WS is one of the reasons why I still like the game of baseball. 1 strike and 1 out to go for Texas for the title and they couldn't get it. Cardinals are scrappy and gritty. What an ending homer by Freese to set up a Game 7. They tore up his jersey aftewards. ;)

It was actually twice that Texas had the Cards down to their last strike

What a great game

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Incredible,historic game. What makes baseball such a unique. The team with the lead cant simply "run out the clock" and sit on a lead.
After the Giants suffered a similar defeat in 2002 in Game 6, there was no chance in game 7.
I expect texas to go quietly tonight.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Incredible,historic game. What makes baseball such a unique. The team with the lead cant simply "run out the clock" and sit on a lead.
After the Giants suffered a similar defeat in 2002 in Game 6, there was no chance in game 7.
I expect texas to go quietly tonight.

And back in '86, the Red Sox lost a similar Game 6 with one out left to win the WS and the infamous 'in between the legs' ball of Bill Buckner. They lost Game 7 as well, to the Mets.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And back in '86, the Red Sox lost a similar Game 6 with one out left to win the WS and the infamous 'in between the legs' ball of Bill Buckner. They lost Game 7 as well, to the Mets.

There's no such thing as momentum in baseball guys :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's no such thing as momentum in baseball guys :)

Agreed, Myles. Different pitchers each game. Hard to have consistency. And how bout the wildest WS game I can remember, the '93 Phillies-Blue Jays Game 4. ended at 15-14 Blue Jays when they were down by 5 runs in the 8th.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
But players do get streaky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing