LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’m very confident that Norm based his advice on the performance of GEC KT66 in TRP. GEC KT88 is different animal…

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I did not like the Gold Lion KT88s in my amp. Granted, this is a different application.
Hi David

I am using gold lion kt88s in my wavac 833v2 amps and they sound fantastic Iin those amps

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi David

I am using gold lion kt88s in my wavac 833v2 amps and they sound fantastic Iin those amps

There are a lot of people who like them. I just didn't. The old GECs just sound better to me. I would have preferred liking the Gold Lions given the big price difference.

Reactions: Alrainbow

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
There are a lot of people who like them. I just didn't. The old GECs just sound better to me. I would have preferred liking the Gold Lions given the big price difference.
I think the gecs and gold lions are pretty much the same tube. One for industrial use and the other packaged nicely for retail sales but pretty much the same. I think Golum sidestepped my question above as well haha:)

Gold lions only came in later though I understand so the earlier kt88s remain gec branded rather than gold lion or gold monarch

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think the gecs and gold lions are pretty much the same tube. One for industrial use and the other packaged nicely for retail sales but pretty much the same. I think Golum sidestepped my question above as well haha:)

Gold lions only came in later though I understand so the earlier kt88s remain gec branded rather than gold lion or gold monarch

I think we are talking about different tubes. I was referring to the reissues. I have never tried the OS Gold Lions.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I think we are talking about different tubes. I was referring to the reissues. I have never tried the OS Gold Lions.
Ahhh I see. The reissues cannot compare to the originals for sure. The new sensor ones are unfortunately a pale imitation. You have to try the nos!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I rolled in a quad of 807s to compare to the GEC KT88. I am hearing a little less weight to the sound and a little too much high end. They don’t seem to have the midrange magic that the GECs do.

For reference, I am using an Acme 274B and a pair of Tung Sol 6SN7s, black glass, round plates.

I will listen for another day or so and then conclude.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I rolled in a quad of 807s to compare to the GEC KT88. I am hearing a little less weight to the sound and a little too much high end. They don’t seem to have the midrange magic that the GECs do.

For reference, I am using an Acme 274B and a pair of Tung Sol 6SN7s, black glass, round plates.

I will listen for another day or so and then conclude.
go ahead and beat your self up :p . Do you have a preferred tube set as of now?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
go ahead and beat your self up :p . Do you have a preferred tube set as of now?

GEC KT88s / Tung Sol 6SN7s

I haven’t put my Tak 274B in yet but I assume I will end up there.

I haven’t tried any other signal tubes such as 5687s, CV181s, 6N1P, 6N6P, VT-99s.

It’ll take a while to settle on the 4 power tubes and then I will roll the signal tubes. I am in no rush since everything sounds better than the Pacific.

Steve Williams

I haven’t tried any other signal tubes such as 5687s, CV181s, 6N1P, 6N6P, VT-99s.

It’ll take a while to settle on the 4 power tubes and then I will roll the signal tubes. I am in no rush since everything sounds better than the Pacific.
as Lukasz said at the very beginning there are no bad tubes. For my ears I was finding small variations of the same until I settled on my tube set. I have back up sets for all of them so I'm very happy now and yes as good as the Pacific is the Horizon is an end game changer...for me at least

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
as Lukasz said at the very beginning there are no bad tubes. For my ears I was finding small variations of the same until I settled on my tube set. I have back up sets for all of them so I'm very happy now and yes as good as the Pacific is the Horizon is an end game changer...for me at least

Ironically, I though the stock KR KT88s were “bad.” Just not to my liking.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin

GEC KT88s is a big power tube investment:)

Steve Williams

Ironically, I though the stock KR KT88s were “bad.” Just not to my liking.
Have you tried the TungSol KT 170. A huge uptick from the KR KT 88

Out of curiosity do you have any thoughts about the Gold Lion KT77

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Have you tried the TungSol KT 170. A huge uptick from the KR KT 88

Out of curiosity do you have any thoughts about the Gold Lion KT77

I did try the KT170s and preferred the GEC KT88s. I will put them back in at the end to listen again.

I have not tried the Gold Lion KT77s.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
There are many versions of the 5687 tubes. Of course not the CSF version but has anyone tried some of the others? Maybe more or less captivating?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
There are many versions of the 5687 tubes. Of course not the CSF version but has anyone tried some of the others? Maybe more or less captivating?
I have quite a few 5687 ready to be tried (all as top contenders from Gunter Tobian) but of course no H yet on my horizon (seems like Yoda took my comment on liking the 69 number seriously). But I'm hoarding some other pentode options which may be top of the crop as well.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I did try the KT170s and preferred the GEC KT88s. I will put them back in at the end to listen again.

I have not tried the Gold Lion KT77s.
D did you get those adapters for the big bottles?

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I have quite a few 5687 ready to be tried (all as top contenders from Gunter Tobian) but of course no H yet on my horizon (seems like Yoda took my comment on liking the 69 number seriously). But I'm hoarding some other pentode options which may be top of the crop as well.
How does one look or read about the tube and know what features could make a difference? Bras plates, genders, etc?

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing