Anyone have impressions of Lampizator Horizon vs. Pacific ?

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Thanks for the update. That's great!! Have fun being immersed in the sonic joys of your Pacific 2.

donsachs

Apr 10, 2023
Thanks for the update. That's great!! Have fun being immersed in the sonic joys of your Pacific 2.
Yes, currently running a quad of Sophia mesh 45 tubes, and a Linlai WE274B rectifier. Sounds pretty darn nice.....

donsachs

Apr 10, 2023
Yes, currently running a quad of Sophia mesh 45 tubes, and a Linlai WE274B rectifier. Sounds pretty darn nice.....
OK, now it has had plenty of time on it. As others have stated, it is hard to imagine this was the same DAC. It is levels above what it was! I tried some Gold Lion 300b I have as backups for my amps and they were OK. The original RCA NOS 45 I have sound thin and bright. The Sophia 45 mesh plates are just superb in my system. They have the bass of the 300b, the acid etched clarity of the 45, but not bright in my system at all. Rectifier is a Linlai 274B copy that is very good. I have 5U4 types and a 5R4, and the DAC sounds great with all of them, but best with the Linlai. I have not ventured into uber expensive rectifier territory. The anode loads are the stock Russian 6H6N gold pins. Someday I will play with other anode loads. I did try a good 6SN7 with adapters, but it didn't sound any better, which surprised me. Anyway, like others have said, if you are on the fence about updating your Pacific, don't waver. Just do it.

donsachs

Apr 10, 2023
Based on the really long Lampi tube rolling thread, which has a pretty low signal to noise ratio:), I found a good deal on a Brimar 5R4GY, so will try that. My old GE 5R4 sounds good, but I prefer the top end sparkle of the Linlai 274B. Will try a fine British 5R4 and see. Also have to roll my 46 tube with adapters back in there. I kind of stopped at the Sophia 45 mesh plates because they sound so good. Have been collecting 45 tubes for a push pull 45 mono block amp project..... Will report on the Brimar whenever it makes it across the pond...

donsachs

Apr 10, 2023
The Brimar 5R4GY arrived today. Indeed it is NOS and British made. Works perfectly. Been on for 30 minutes and is astonishingly good. Much better than the RCA and GE 5R4GY I also have. At this point it is probably better than my Linlai WE274b, which to date is the best rectifier I have heard in my Pacific. The Brimar is good enough that it can stay in there for 100 hours to run in. I kept swapping the RCA and GE out and putting the Linlai back in for serious listening. This Brimar is superb after 30 minutes.... Does everything well. Has the low end grunt, plus it has the sparkle and air of the Linlai, which the other 5R4GY tubes lacked a bit.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing