If you switched from Tact room correction to something else, what did you switch to?

Gadgety

Feb 10, 2012
Have you been using Tact's RCS or TCS, but have since switched to some other solution, what alternatives did you evaluate, what did you switch to, and why?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Have you been using Tact's RCS or TCS, but have since switched to some other solution, what alternatives did you evaluate, what did you switch to, and why?

I used RCS and TCS. TCS MK III was not a finished product while RCS was excellent. I switched because the software version of DiracLive running on my server was $800 and provides better sonics, particularly in the low end. And lastly, TacT seemed to have vaporized.

I currently use Audyssey for movies but will switch to a Dirac product eventually.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am using JBL Synthesis ARCOS. Optimizing multiple subwoofers is key to getting smooth low frequency response and ARCOS has it.

Vapor1

Oct 19, 2012
St Louis, MO
www.vaporsound.com
I've had TacT in the past, for the most part was pleased with the results and the usability of the product.

Currently I'm using the DSPeaker AntiMode 2.0, very impressive unit in many ways. It's a stand-along room correction unit with excellent power and functionality. And it's priced right as well!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I've had TACT in my systems for quite a while now.
I started with a 2.0 which I upgraded to a 2.0S, then moved it to my 2nd system and upgraded to 2.2XP.
Both had the full enchilada upgrade by MauiMods and I was very happy with both of them.
If you haven't heard the TACT with a least the power supply upgrade, you haven't heard what they can do.

They can make a huge improvement in cases where the room constraints are severe.
In my case, I had B&W 801s that had to be placed on either side of a fireplace, between the fireplace and windows and very close to the back wall, shooting the short way across a rectangular room. By themselves, there was no imaging at all, but with the TACT I could get a nice improvement in image and soundstage.

When I upgraded to Nola Metro Grand speakers last year, I found that (wow!) they imaged fabulously in the exact same locations. I was so astonished at the sound of the Nola in my room that I have both TACT units up for sale (as part of my upgrade, I've eliminated my upstairs system completely to help the piggybank and main system).

Their value for a system that sounds good without correction is an open question for me, but the difference they make in over-constrained speaker layouts can be amazing.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Depends whether you want a hardware or software solution and how far in RC you want to go - IMHO RC is totally a waste of time above 250hz or so , it doesn't really correct anything.. you need physical treatments and not electronics for lower mids and above , RC DOES correct really well at the sweet spot for bass - only at the sweet spot tho - if you want to correct the *room* overall in respect of bass , you need multiple subs , physical room treatment etc.

Hardware works with anything generally , software can be cheaper - or pricier- and is specific to the playback source , you pays your money and takes your choice...

I have used Sigtech , Tact , Behringer , Z-Sys RDP-1 , Lyngdorf room perfect, KrK Ergo , Meridian MRC , Audyessy , Dspeaker antimode 2.0 and currently a miniDSP openDRc - di (and a few software solutions.. Tried Dirac etc)

I cant tell you which is "best" , all have their foibles and sonic signatures... currently I have found the Dspeaker antimode 2 exceptional for bass , but due to its parametric eq being very user unfriendly , I am using the miniDSP in conjunction with it for tuning 120hz and up for taste . Dspeaker is by far the easiest to set up and is self contained and IMO has almost no sonic impact in bypass mode..one has to realise that these units are not used in bypass mode and they operate on the signal and change it .....

There is a slight loss of some "air" with both or either systems in line , but the other benefits they offer outweigh this and the improvements they wring out are orders of magnitude above their small faults..

Most transparent DSP parametric I have used is my Z-sys RDP-1, however it is just a parametric (often a parametric is enough to cure a lot of bass ills)

My system might not be flat (or correspond to the B&K ideal listening target curve at the sweet spot) but it's really my own ears I have to please , so I do tweak it after the "correct" correction

I am currently messing with AcourateDRC used to generate FIR filters for my openDRC RC unit - still got a while to go till I get it right...

Gadgety

Feb 10, 2012
Currently still using Tact. Looking for a replacement also as Tact is no longer. This comes highly recommended though I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.audiovero.de/en/acourate.html

Thanks. So am I. I've been very satisfied with Tact's room correction, which I've been using since 2001 or so. I'm contemplating going 4.1 or similar multi channel, and then it could be interesting to check out other products, specially with experienced and discerning listeners, and the various choices currently available, such as DIRAC.

Gadgety

Feb 10, 2012
Depends whether you want a hardware or software solution and how far in RC you want to go - IMHO RC is totally a waste of time above 250hz or so , it doesn't really correct anything.. you need physical treatments and not electronics for lower mids and above , RC DOES correct really well at the sweet spot for bass - only at the sweet spot tho - if you want to correct the *room* overall in respect of bass , you need multiple subs , physical room treatment etc.

Hardware works with anything generally , software can be cheaper - or pricier- and is specific to the playback source , you pays your money and takes your choice...

I have used Sigtech , Tact , Behringer , Z-Sys RDP-1 , Lyngdorf room perfect, KrK Ergo , Meridian MRC , Audyessy , Dspeaker antimode 2.0 and currently a miniDSP openDRc - di (and a few software solutions.. Tried Dirac etc)

I cant tell you which is "best" , all have their foibles and sonic signatures... currently I have found the Dspeaker antimode 2 exceptional for bass , but due to its parametric eq being very user unfriendly , I am using the miniDSP in conjunction with it for tuning 120hz and up for taste . Dspeaker is by far the easiest to set up and is self contained and IMO has almost no sonic impact in bypass mode..one has to realise that these units are not used in bypass mode and they operate on the signal and change it .....

There is a slight loss of some "air" with both or either systems in line , but the other benefits they offer outweigh this and the improvements they wring out are orders of magnitude above their small faults..

Most transparent DSP parametric I have used is my Z-sys RDP-1, however it is just a parametric (often a parametric is enough to cure a lot of bass ills)

My system might not be flat (or correspond to the B&K ideal listening target curve at the sweet spot) but it's really my own ears I have to please , so I do tweak it after the "correct" correction

I am currently messing with AcourateDRC used to generate FIR filters for my openDRC RC unit - still got a while to go till I get it right...

I agree - a lot of choice these days, and various combinations of hardware and software. Man, you have tried them all! A lot of stuff to mess with, learn and apply. Thinking of going HTPC and software to get it all the digital stuff in one unit but using external units for DA. As for foibles and sonic signatures I'd be most interested to hear more about that. Specially Tact vis à vis DIRAC. Giving up on Tact, was that because Tact focused on correcting the entire audio spectrum, rather than just bass frequencies, and that this imparted a sonic signature? You mention miniDSP, and I noticed they have announced a forthcoming unit with DIRAC on board... (EDIT) Just noticed it looks like a stereo only unit.

Last edited:

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I used Lyngdorf DPA-1 and it was very good for me. Now i have advanced acoustic in my room and need no any digital correction, but one of my friends works in pro-audio market and home-audio too, he tested Lyngdorf, Accuphase DG-48, Trinnov processor and said that it is now the best on market, 2 class higher and better than TacT and others.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I agree - a lot of choice these days, and various combinations of hardware and software. Man, you have tried them all! A lot of stuff to mess with, learn and apply. Thinking of going HTPC and software to get it all the digital stuff in one unit but using external units for DA. As for foibles and sonic signatures I'd be most interested to hear more about that. Specially Tact vis à vis DIRAC. Giving up on Tact, was that because Tact focused on correcting the entire audio spectrum, rather than just bass frequencies, and that this imparted a sonic signature? You mention miniDSP, and I noticed they have announced a forthcoming unit with DIRAC on board... (EDIT) Just noticed it looks like a stereo only unit.

TACT can be configured to only work below a specific frequency, which many feel is the best configuration........

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
There is no such thing as full freq room correction .. no electronics , even if they work in the time and freq domain can correct the room and mid/hf reflections , they can kludge a "correction" for a listening point if you hold your head in a vise , move it an inch and it all changes ...

Treat the room for freqs above 250-300 hz and then use DSP for low bass.
The issue is that even with low bass DSP , the whole freq spectrum goes thru the device or software , maybe only the low bass is modified , but the rest of the spectrum also adopts a "signature" as it passes thru...
If you really want to get the best out of DSP without modifying the whole spectrum , your best strategy would be to get band passed monitors , lets say speakers that dont do below 70hz or so , then use multiple subs to fill in and ONLY apply DSP to the subs...
That way you can place your "unmolested" smaller speakers for best imaging etc and then place the subs to smooth out room nodes and apply EQ without messing with phase and trying to do what cannot be done...

esldude

At one time Emotiva was promising a multi-channel unit with the Tact processing in it. They are now promising later this year the same unit hardware-wise, but will instead have Dirac built into it. Basically an AV pre-amp for 7.2

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc-1

Of course I don't know how well executed the analog parts of this device would be. But it looks like a bargain for all it can do with Dirac room correction and parametric 11 band EQ plus lots more available.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
I switched from Tact to passive room treatment using damping panels, bass traps etc. every electronic solution I tried causes negative effect on soundstage. Extra electronic processing was a negative factor.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Then you should give a try to the last Trinnov Amethyst.
My room is heavily treated and the benefits of such a powerfull room optimizer rank from not convincing to must have... Mainly depends on the speakers and their interaction with the listening room.
With such huge surfaces like Magnepan 20.7, I have tried a lot of big amplifiers and the sole device I am completely convinced about its usefulness with respect to the Magnepan is the Amethyst preamplifier.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing