Building a system around ROON for local/ripped/downloaded files and making it better than CD playback...

NigelB

Jan 2, 2023
www.reikiaudio.com
I only stream (local and Qobuz/Tidal).
3 years ago I embarked on the mission to make it sound indistinguishable from an Esoteric transport I have access too, playing SACDs.
I forgot what I knew about power, electronics and network, and simply tested everything I could (It was a lot, as I have friends who are Hi Fi dealers and do a lot of trade ins). Now I reached a level that on most cases, I cannot distinguish between the Esoteric SACD, local files and streaming. If it helps, this is my current set up:

1) Inverse EtherRegen with external LPSU to convert ethernet to single mode, low loss optical fiber, using Finisar SFP.
2) SOtM switch with external LPS and fed with Mutec clock and Finisar SFP
3) Telegartner Switch with Initio LPS
4) Melco N1 (Streamer/end point / NAS), using another Finisar SFP, and fed by Mutec clock and USB output to DDC.
5) NUC with ROCK (Core) with LPS and connected to the SOtM swith through low loss fiber, LPS for the converter and Finisar SFPs
6) From the USB output of the Melco, go to Audio-GD 2120HE DDC (Digital to digital converter), feb by the Mutec clock, output in I2S
7) R2R DAC Audio-GD R7Mk3, also fed by the Mutec clock and the I2S.

Interconnects by Tubulus Concentus (Clock, I2S, USB, XLR).

You may say I spent $30K building this network, and they would be correct. OTOH, I tested several +30K USD DACs in my network without the expensive switches and clock, and the $4K DAC with my network is scarily very very close. So there you go. Spend $30K on your network, and enjoy all the streaming. Spend +$30K on a DAC (that will be outdated in a couple years). Spend $30K on a super high end transport, and have to buy CDs from now on.

I don't mean this is the ultimate network, but it is what worked the best sound for me, so far. I am very happy I spent the money on the network, improving step by step, not all at once. Added bonus: The NUC after going thru the fiber and the two switches, is finally able to up-sample (Roon DSP) without generating noise, hence actually improving the sound quality of the system. The DAC just plays in NOS mode. Beautiful!

For reference the rest of my system is and integrated Absolare Signature, Magico A5 speakers, MIT speaker cable and soon upgrading to Crystal power cables.
The boundary is perhaps negotiable but personally I'd only actually count (1) to (3) as your network.

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
The boundary is perhaps negotiable but personally I'd only actually count (1) to (3) as your network.
I get what you mean. In my journey I realized that there were significant things I could do to improve the sound within the digital domain, beyond the ethernet network, so I kept pilling up tweaks and upgrades until it got me where I wanted.

Reactions: NigelB

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
If there’s a room core thread, pls lmk bc I can’t find it.

I’m looking for a v good room core, I’m not streaming nor storing and serving files to my dac, just using Qobuz and my dac has Ethernet input.

in short, what are some of the better Roon Core devices?
I currently have the Grimm mu1 bc it had the right output and was a nice step up from the m5, but I now don’t need all of its capabilities. Thinking I could save a few $s and downsize to the Innuos Zen if it’s room core abilities are comparable, or ….?
Thx for the help!

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I only stream (local and Qobuz/Tidal).
3 years ago I embarked on the mission to make it sound indistinguishable from an Esoteric transport I have access too, playing SACDs.
I forgot what I knew about power, electronics and network, and simply tested everything I could (It was a lot, as I have friends who are Hi Fi dealers and do a lot of trade ins). Now I reached a level that on most cases, I cannot distinguish between the Esoteric SACD, local files and streaming. If it helps, this is my current set up:

1) Inverse EtherRegen with external LPSU to convert ethernet to single mode, low loss optical fiber, using Finisar SFP.
2) SOtM switch with external LPS and fed with Mutec clock and Finisar SFP
3) Telegartner Switch with Initio LPS
4) Melco N1 (Streamer/end point / NAS), using another Finisar SFP, and fed by Mutec clock and USB output to DDC.
5) NUC with ROCK (Core) with LPS and connected to the SOtM swith through low loss fiber, LPS for the converter and Finisar SFPs
6) From the USB output of the Melco, go to Audio-GD 2120HE DDC (Digital to digital converter), feb by the Mutec clock, output in I2S
7) R2R DAC Audio-GD R7Mk3, also fed by the Mutec clock and the I2S.

Interconnects by Tubulus Concentus (Clock, I2S, USB, XLR).

You may say I spent $30K building this network, and they would be correct. OTOH, I tested several +30K USD DACs in my network without the expensive switches and clock, and the $4K DAC with my network is scarily very very close. So there you go. Spend $30K on your network, and enjoy all the streaming. Spend +$30K on a DAC (that will be outdated in a couple years). Spend $30K on a super high end transport, and have to buy CDs from now on.

I don't mean this is the ultimate network, but it is what worked the best sound for me, so far. I am very happy I spent the money on the network, improving step by step, not all at once. Added bonus: The NUC after going thru the fiber and the two switches, is finally able to up-sample (Roon DSP) without generating noise, hence actually improving the sound quality of the system. The DAC just plays in NOS mode. Beautiful!

For reference the rest of my system is and integrated Absolare Signature, Magico A5 speakers, MIT speaker cable and soon upgrading to Crystal power cables.
What comes upstream of your EtherRegen? There is a lot of upgrade potential in a. Splitting off your household network traffic from audio traffic as early on the network as possible. B. Using an audio-‘friendly’ router with low noise chip-set like the Broadcom c. Powering your modem and router with a good quality supply. D. Isolating your entire network from vibration e. optimising the network cabling

Just BTW, Roon generates a lot of network traffic also during file replay. A device like the Innuos Zenith which includes the Sense music management SW virtually shuts down network comms during music replay and you can hear the difference, especially on a heavily optimised network like yours

Bones13

Jan 11, 2024
USA
I have great results from my chain.

1) cable modem + ROCK on fanless NUC plugged into switch run by EdgeLite router.
2) Fiber Ethernet to UpTone Audio etherRegen
3) Triode WireLabs Ethernet cable
4) DAC with built in streamer (was Bricasti, now MSB Premier)

After a while with an ultraRendu, I’ll never USB to DAC from my main computer again (well, except for YouTube)

Republicoftexas69

I have great results from my chain.

1) cable modem + ROCK on fanless NUC plugged into switch run by EdgeLite router.
2) Fiber Ethernet to UpTone Audio etherRegen
3) Triode WireLabs Ethernet cable
4) DAC with built in streamer (was Bricasti, now MSB Premier)

After a while with an ultraRendu, I’ll never USB to DAC from my main computer again (well, except for YouTube)
Why use a computer at all with so many audiophile grade servers and streamers available now days? I only use a MS Surface to interface with my Innuos Zenith and it is connected to my network via CAT8 no Wi-Fi connection or enabled devices in my listening room.

Swisstrips

Jan 15, 2016
Why use a computer at all with so many audiophile grade servers and streamers available now days? I only use a MS Surface to interface with my Innuos Zenith and it is connected to my network via CAT8 no Wi-Fi connection or enabled devices in my listening room.
Clarify "use a computer at all" ?
- He's using roon/nuc server connected to network (fiber isolation) > network DAC (roon endpoint).
- Your using Innuos server connected to network > presumably to a DAC (usb or network or similar)?

Seems pretty similar, I must be overlooking something.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

Clarify "use a computer at all" ?
- He's using roon/nuc server connected to network (fiber isolation) > network DAC (roon endpoint).
- Your using Innuos server connected to network > presumably to a DAC (usb or network or similar)?

Seems pretty similar, I must be overlooking something.
Come on man, Desk Top or Lap Top. Non audio configuration.

Swisstrips

Jan 15, 2016
Come on man, Desk Top or Lap Top. Non audio configuration.
As I said, I must be overlooking something - still not following. Are you referring to the control app?

I replied to your statement:
"Why use a computer at all with so many audiophile grade servers and streamers available now days?"

Then you stated:
"Come on man, Desk Top or Lap Top. Non audio configuration"

Maybe I need another cup of coffee.:)

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

As I said, I must be overlooking something - still not following. Are you referring to the control app?

I replied to your statement:
"Why use a computer at all with so many audiophile grade servers and streamers available now days?"

Then you stated:
"Come on man, Desk Top or Lap Top. Non audio configuration"

Maybe I need another cup of coffee.:)
Maybe but I was referring to using a Desktop or Laptop device for streaming/server rather than a audio intended server . If I still had a Roon server I would be running J Play or other control app. I am a huge Innuos fan boy ;)

Swisstrips

Jan 15, 2016
Maybe but I was referring to using a Desktop or Laptop device for streaming/server rather than a audio intended server . If I still had a Roon server I would be running J Play or other control app. I am a huge Innuos fan boy ;)
Ah, gotcha ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing