Here we go again: Alexandria XLF

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Come into my web, said the spider to the fly...go ahead try it.just one wont hurt.

May be they sang another song: :)

Come into my web, said the spider to the fly...go ahead try it.just on static display wont hurt.

JeffMac

Jun 4, 2010
I had the pleasure yesterday of having been invited by Debbie Wilson to attend Dave Wilson's launch of the new XLF. It was a wonderful gathering with many people in attendance It was nice to see the entire Wilson team once again. The speaker was on static display beside the X-2 series ll in the same color along with a wonderful dissertation by son Daryl re a new Wilson app he had written for the iPhone and a very detailed synopsis by Dave as to what and why he did to the new XLF. It is slightly shorter than the X-2 series ll but much deeper it can be either front or rear ported and Dave gave reasons as to do one vs the other BUT never both ports open. All in all a wonderful evening. Thanks again to Wilson audio and Dave's explanation in his search for a new tweeter.

I stand by my prediction!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Only the Best for What's Best's Founders! Hehehehe. Let's throw in a prediction for a Levinson No.52 preamp for Amir this year. LOL.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
'cept Steve's the Lion behind the bushes and the XLF is the prey. LOL

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
No upgrade path ?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Wow I am sure that is not going to make a lot of owners happy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow I am sure that is not going to make a lot of owners happy.

possibly...though i already know one owner who has elected to trade in his X2.2 and order a new XLF. Word is he will get 2 pairs...one for each home.
The cabinet is literally 6-8 inches deeper across nearly the entire cabinet from top to bottom, plus the bass can be ported either through front or rear...so the machined outer shell of the XLF is impossibly different from the X2 to do an upgrade. it is not just different cones and crossovers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only the tweeter is different. Silk dome

Yes, thanks Steve... i was not quite clear. when i wrote "the XLF is not just different cones and crossovers"...what i meant to explain was that the reason the upgrade path is not possible is because this is not a typical cones/crossovers upgrade (which can often allow for an upgrade package)...the entire XLF cabinet is much larger and the bass port goes either direction, hence no upgradeability.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been following boxing a lot lately and couldn't help but notice that if you lined up the X-2 Series 2 or XLF for that matter with the Q7, the specs would be like watching the "Tale of the Tape" portion shown before every fight. I don't know what I'd like more to see, these speakers doing a shoot out or the Klitschko brothers finally facing off.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Steve,
any idea or was it explained why the XLF was only on static display?
Thought it would had made sense to have this playing, seems those who have heard it (beyond AVguide) really do like this when compared to X-2.

Cheers
Orb

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,
any idea or was it explained why the XLF was only on static display?
Thought it would had made sense to have this playing, seems those who have heard it (beyond AVguide) really do like this when compared to X-2.

Cheers
Orb

I honestly don't know except perhaps that he wanted to have an X-2 beside an XLF for comparison purposes. I have had the privilege of having been invited to Dave's private demos at CES before and only once did I experience a speaker playing. IOW he commonly has a static display

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply Steve.
Ah well, I guess it is still only a lucky few then that have had the opportunity to hear the XLF (I assume only back at Wilson Audio), at least the response seems to be positive from various people who have heard it.

Thanks again
Orb

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
From the European XLF debut at KJ West in London.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing