what was your thoughts on the sound.
Also was that a Ref5 SE?
Thanks
Orb

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you look at the FR measurements its also wilsons most neutral design probably , great (looking ) speaker .
I doubt it will be in holland though, by the way is a new ferrari "only" 200.000 $ in the US ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

It is interesting to read this...from my standpoint, i took this is as the first published opinion [from anyone...professional or private] who gave a review where the speaker seemed so far in advance of Maxx3 and Alexandria Series 2. Maybe just my take of the article.

That said, in the private community, of the Alexandria owners i've read or spoken to...i wonder how much better they feel this speaker is? Unlike the prior X1/X2 upgrades where it seemed clear people were rapidly upgrading...i have heard of quite a few who have elected not to do so. (Clearly, with all the 2nd hand X2 series 2 suddenly on the market from dealers...there are loads who ARE upgrading)...i am just saying, i dont feel like the pvt owners that i've spoken to feel quite as compelled this time.

Thoughts from those who've spent serious time with XLF and know Alexandria 2 Series 2 and Maxx3? (I have heard XLF twice in a room and with equipment i know well, and have posted my thoughts before.) Thanks for any feedback.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Does anyone know the name Wilson is using for the color of the XLF shown in the photos in Fremers review in Stereophile?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
This is all i need to know ...:)

"The Wilson Audio Specialties Alexandra XLF costs $200,000/pair. So does a Ferrari. Perhaps if Wilson Audio Specialties sold as many pairs of XLFs as Ferrari sells cars, the price might drop. For now, $200,000 is what you pay." -Stereophile

Pass me the keys ......:)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Hi...just comparing cumulative spectral decay plots from the original X1 Series 1 (Stereophile 1994) to the XLF (Stereophile 2012). Are these apples to apples to make a meaningful comparison?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...-slamm-loudspeaker-system-measurements-part-2

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexandria-xlf-loudspeaker-measurements

Difficult to compare Lloyd , they are not using the same method to measure (distance /time plot) .....

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm officially offering my services to JA :)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexandria-xlf-loudspeaker-measurements

The next time Mr Atkinson needs help lowering an XLF ON ITS Side for GP Measurements he can give me a ping, a way sure to get rid of those pesky reflections ...:)

He (JA) made me and Wes Phillips do the same thing with the Bozak... roll it out to the driveway. Our hobby/endeavor can be sure ridiculous. My neighbor was looking through the window and scratching his head.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Difficult to compare Lloyd , they are not using the same method to measure (distance /time plot) .....

Thanks, A.wayne...seems strange to a non-techie to have measurements that are taken in such a way with each speaker that a given speaker's measurement results are not comparable to that of other speakers...not even to the 7th generation of the same speaker 18 years later.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks, A.wayne...seems strange to a non-techie to have measurements that are taken in such a way with each speaker that a given speaker's measurement results are not comparable to that of other speakers...not even to the 7th generation of the same speaker 18 years later.

JA has been criticized on this many times but the reality of measuring large loudspeaker behemoths that are near impossible to easily ship demands creativity. The challenge with speaker measurements is how do they correlate to real room environments, are we to listen outside? I like the waterfall charts and wish that Stereophile had the means to send all loudspeakers to a central facility for anechoic measurement. But that would be prohibitively expensive.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
GP or anechoic measurements are very essential , it allows us to see the speaker without room effect, so yes while we dont listen in such an environment, the idea is to treat the room and your setup to touch the sound from the speaker ever so lightly , best to tune your environment to have min effect on the speaker...

Also the less colored your speaker happens to be, the less you have to tune /eq your room , unfortunately all speakers still add their tinge .....:)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The tweeter also crosses considerably lower than the X 2 , XLF at 1000 hz that is very low and unusual , and certainly limits the tweeter choice , most cant play down that low without distortion
Wayne have you looked at the indra anechoic measurment last time we discussed , you dont want your speaker in your room with that elevated tweeter response , the inroom response had a slight roll off thats what people want in general, incl me
If you would design a speaker according to a anechoic chamber you might not get the general inroom response you want in the end

nice vid from YG by peter , kinda like a anechoic chamber http://www.avshowrooms.com/YG_Acoustics_Co.html

Last edited:

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Hello ,

The XLF tweeter appears to xover @about 2.5-3k not 1k, as to anechoic vs real room, i want the speaker to have flat on axis, this will give you an avg. that will be slightly lower for a better room balance, this is also tweeter dependent , if you are running your tweeter no lower than 5 k (dome) you can go for flat out to 20k , if you are running lower , distortion elements from the low end will force a roll of on the top, you can compensate but this will lead to higher THD , some choose to mask ...

Line source rules here ....:)
Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing