Here we go again: Alexandria XLF

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
There is always something new right around the corner, the MAXX 3 will be next to have such.
Suppose if you like Wilson there will be some deals to be had on the Alexandria 2. Look at what's happening with MAX 2's and Sasha's and there have been allot of Max 3's for sale lately.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Anyone for a pool on when Steve will place his order?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My honest question concerning the XLF .. Do you believe that the X-2 XLF will surpass the combination of "normal" X-2 paired with JL Audio Gotham in the Lows? More features to tailor the lows than any passive approach can dream of plus placement flexibility with the X-2 plus subS. Allow me to have my doubts...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My honest question concerning the XLF .. Do you believe that the X-2 XLF will surpass the combination of "normal" X-2 paired with JL Audio Gotham in the Lows? More features to tailor the lows than any passive approach can dream of plus placement flexibility with the X-2 plus subS. Allow me to have my doubts...

mine as well Frantz

I'll take my X-2's with a pair of Gotham subs any day, but then of course I am sure there will be some XLF's with a pair of Thor subs, notwithstanding the amps required to drive them

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
With all respect, Mr. Wilson has to attempt to secure a continuous revenue stream, doesn't he? If the new features offered in the XLF are mainly to address the issues that Steve (and others) have solved through careful integration of subs, then they really aren't an upgrade after all. Steve, tell you what. I'll tell you that you have achieved seamless bass integration and you send me just 50% of the cost of the new model! Instant upgrade!

Lee :)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

Hmm, but what about a pair of X-2 XLFs AND a pair of JL Gothams?! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Chizzap30

Jun 23, 2010
Jackson, MI
Granted this is about the Alexandria XLF (Which is now becoming the flagship speaker but NOT replacing the X-2 S2), If someone was not going to go the Wilson Subs, JL is not the way to go. I could have 6 REL G1's for the price of 2 Gothams and it would way more musical.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Granted this is about the Alexandria XLF (Which is now becoming the flagship speaker but NOT replacing the X-2 S2), If someone was not going to go the Wilson Subs, JL is not the way to go. I could have 6 REL G1's for the price of 2 Gothams and it would way more musical.

You're quite correct. I am thinking of adding two Fathoms in the rear of my room

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If the XLF only area of superiority over the X-2 is bass output then the same can be better achieved with multiple subs... Paradigm, JL Audio comes to mind .. I am not convinced that the Thor hammer subwoofer is up to the Gotham ... or its equivalent .. Of course if one wants it to be all-Wilson and is hellbent on having their flagship... then..

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If I were a betting man, and Steve either gets use of or borrows someone with a measuring system (OmniMic, REW, etc), the front and rear subs can be positioned to get MUCH smoother frequency response than he currently has. I would also suggest that the potential sound he might get with proper placement and integration of these four subs will surpass what he might get from buying the new Wilsons....and think about watching movies like Tron or any of the other bombastic flicks with that amount of woofage!!

And I'm with you Ron. When he gets the next two subs, I want to be there (with my TacT) and offer my assistance in integration.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If I were a betting man, and Steve either gets use of or borrows someone with a measuring system (OmniMic, REW, etc), the front and rear subs can be positioned to get MUCH smoother frequency response than he currently has. I would also suggest that the potential sound he might get with proper placement and integration of these four subs will surpass what he might get from buying the new Wilsons....and think about watching movies like Tron or any of the other bombastic flicks with that amount of woofage!!

And I'm with you Ron. When he gets the next two subs, I want to be there (with my TacT) and offer my assistance in integration.

+1

I will add the best bass in most rooms , requires multiple subs and usually not the way we 2-ch audiophiles likes it, i-e one sub or two subs flanking symmetrically the main speakers ... Ok The discussion was about the Alexandria XLF.. Sorry :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing