Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, no matter how good this CS Port/Etsuro proves to be, I still think there'll be a hardcore of music that the Saskia may be better suited to.

Lps w dense rhyhmic foundations. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, electric Miles Davis, free jazz period John Coltrane, polyrhythmic avant garde, modern classical, Weather Report etc. Music where there is maybe more of a molten intensity and hugely dense at the same time.

I am biased, this is the music I run, and my idler-like direct rim drive does the core communication so well. Saskia at another level.

I know people will still say its implementation/synergy over drive type/musical genres. But dense complex driven music IMHO comes alive more often on the Garrards and Lencos I've heard, than on the SMEs and Brinkmanns. And the latter weren't poorly chosen or set up. Just the former were more compelling.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
listening tonight to Columbia MS 6328 6 eye stereo, Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky; the Firebird.

i've played this one a number of times before; but not ever had it sound like this. the ease and effortlessness of the Etsuro Gold <-> CS Port tt/linear tracker takes this to new heights in my experience. every nuance has such life and realism without any stridency or fatigue. the bass subtlety and authority is fantastic. these Columbia's are not always well behaved.......or at least not to this degree. kinda blown away. this recording just sucks me into the flow.....such presence and life. complex music so easy to connect to.

super enjoyable thrill ride!

1578639073804.png

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Let me do a supporting role here. :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mike, could you remind me of what cartridge you had on the CS Port before replacing it with this Etsuro? It sounds as though you are convinced that this greater level of enjoyment/involvement is a result of using this particular cartridge with this turntable/arm rather than another cartridge with this table/arm. Do you attribute these special qualities to the cartridge, or to the entire table/arm/cartridge combination? IOW, what would this LP sound like with this cartridge on one of your other table/arm combinations?

Just a rhetorical question for curiosity's sake. I'm not asking you to switch stuff around to answer this, just for perhaps your opinion of what might be the case if you care to share. Thanks.

Sometimes in this hobby, particular combinations are greater than their individual parts would suggest. That is when something goes beyond what one is used to, or has heard before. Sounds like you are there. Congratulations. I don't know that particular recording, but I do like the music.

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, could you remind me of what cartridge you had on the CS Port before replacing it with this Etsuro? It sounds as though you are convinced that this greater level of enjoyment/involvement is a result of using this particular cartridge with this turntable/arm rather than another cartridge with this table/arm. Do you attribute these special qualities to the cartridge, or to the entire table/arm/cartridge combination? IOW, what would this LP sound like with this cartridge on one of your other table/arm combinations?

Just a rhetorical question for curiosity's sake. I'm not asking you to switch stuff around to answer this, just for perhaps your opinion of what might be the case if you care to share. Thanks.

Sometimes in this hobby, particular combinations are greater than their individual parts would suggest. That is when something goes beyond what one is used to, or has heard before. Sounds like you are there. Congratulations. I don't know that particular recording, but I do like the music.

Peter,

Mik has written some on the apparent synergy of the Etsuro Gold and the CS Port tt. he has had a number of cartridges on the CS Port. he has also written about the unique low pressure low flow design of the CS Port linear tracker and how it brings some special qualities to the music; which plays to the strengths of the Etsuro Gold.

for myself; to begin with i had the vdH 1.1mv Master Signature on the CS Port tt for a very short time, but that was when it was brand new and it had issues with it being such a light weight cartridge and the cueing not really being workable. so i installed the GFS which did sound very good overall, and i'd say really had no weak aspects. i had it there for a month and it did raise the bar on a number of pressings in terms of detail and unraveling otherwise murky pressings compared to my previous experiences. i posted about a listening to a number of different pressings. i never played this particular Columbia 6 eye with the GFS on the CS Port.

the Etsuro Gold takes things to a whole new level with it's particular magical combination of ease and energy, combined with the grain-less deep view into the most inner parts of the music, and yet with a majestic authority and power. it somehow turns slight harshness into musical communication and any noise or even maybe tape hiss of other non musical artifacts are pushed aside and become besides the point.

how much of this added musical truth is the CS Port? how much of it is the Etsuro Gold? i'd give plenty of credit to the Etsuro Gold.

i do recognize the differences i had noticed on other cuts between the GFS and the Etsuro Gold (on the CS Port) in the Firebird Columbia 6 eye. so that is much of my connecting the dots. and i'd say this is about a difference that while objectively not huge, it's a game changer. it takes the musical experience over-the-top. would the cartridge differences be the same on other turntables? maybe. Mik might comment about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018
Peter,

Mik has written some on the apparent synergy of the Etsuro Gold and the CS Port tt. he has had a number of cartridges on the CS Port. he has also written about the unique low pressure low flow design of the CS Port linear tracker and how it brings some special qualities to the music; which plays to the strengths of the Etsuro Gold.

for myself; to begin with i had the vdH 1.1mv Master Signature on the CS Port tt for a very short time, but that was when it was brand new and it had issues with it being such a light weight cartridge and the cueing not really being workable. so i installed the GFS which did sound very good overall, and i'd say really had no weak aspects. i had it there for a month and it did raise the bar on a number of pressings in terms of detail and unraveling otherwise murky pressings compared to my previous experiences. i posted about a listening to a number of different pressings. i never played this particular Columbia 6 eye with the GFS on the CS Port.

the Etsuro Gold takes things to a whole new level with it's particular magical combination of ease and energy, combined with the grain-less deep view into the most inner parts of the music, and yet with a majestic authority and power. it somehow turns slight harshness into musical communication and any noise or even maybe tape hiss of other non musical artifacts are pushed aside and become besides the point.

how much of this added musical truth is the CS Port? how much of it is the Etsuro Gold? i'd give plenty of credit to the Etsuro Gold.

i do recognize the differences i had noticed on other cuts between the GFS and the Etsuro Gold (on the CS Port) in the Firebird Columbia 6 eye. so that is much of my connecting the dots. and i'd say this is about a difference that while objectively not huge, it's a game changer. it takes the musical experience over-the-top. would the cartridge differences be the same on other turntables? maybe. Mik might comment about that.

Reactions: bazelio

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018
Particularly interested to read Mik’s observations as I recently went for an Opus after doing a compare v a CAR60 and Fuuga in my Kuzma 4 Point 14 and Monaco 2.0...all great cartridges but in my system the Opus really connected with me...funnily enough I used to have a PC1 and it never really floated my boat. i only wonder how the etsuro gold would have sounded v the opus!

108CY

May 4, 2013
I have had very consistent results with the Etsuro gold many arm and cartridge combinations, I have found it one of the most musically engaging cartridges around. I have been able to push the boundaries with the product and have learnt how achieve maximum results. I do own and use many caratridges and certainly apreciate there virtues. The Etsuro Gold does demand and system that is capable of extracting the most of its grainless nature and some might prefer some colour. There is certainly a rightness in its nature while many modern cartridges go on ultra detail that can leave one with a highly unemotional performance the Etsuro has a rightness off weight detail and body together with a grainless midrange quite a trick.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Particularly interested to read Mik’s observations as I recently went for an Opus after doing a compare v a CAR60 and Fuuga in my Kuzma 4 Point 14 and Monaco 2.0...all great cartridges but in my system the Opus really connected with me...funnily enough I used to have a PC1 and it never really floated my boat. i only wonder how the etsuro gold would have sounded v the opus!
May I ask what is your full system? Thanks

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I have had very consistent results with the Etsuro gold many arm and cartridge combinations, I have found it one of the most musically engaging cartridges around. I have been able to push the boundaries with the product and have learnt how achieve maximum results. I do own and use many caratridges and certainly apreciate there virtues. The Etsuro Gold does demand and system that is capable of extracting the most of its grainless nature and some might prefer some colour. There is certainly a rightness in its nature while many modern cartridges go on ultra detail that can leave one with a highly unemotional performance the Etsuro has a rightness off weight detail and body together with a grainless midrange quite a trick.

Wondering if you have compared it with Koetsu Coralstone, especially one with diamond cantilever? If so, what were the most significant differences?

108CY

May 4, 2013
Wondering if you have compared it with Koetsu Coralstone, especially one with diamond cantilever? If so, what were the most significant differences?

I own the entire line up of Koetsu stone body cartridges all with diamond cantilever, there are significant differences between bodies but will not go into detail here. The coral stone with diamond cantilever while not as rose tinted as previous Koetsu models is a quite a different cartridge I have one set up on one of my turntables. It has great body and is certainly not lacking weight I love the cartridge but is far more system and set up dependent.The Koetsu bass while plenty of it does not have the resolution or speed and overall control the Etsuro have has tremendous control and slam and can hit you in the chest while the Koetsu spreads but can in some instances get into a splurge. The midrange has great texture on the Koetsu while highly enjoyable does not have the same level of lack of grain and ultimate micro nuance it gets deeper into the recording. Obviously ultimately one can use either to tune ones system etc, the Etsuro is a far more balanced performer in my option and gets outs of the way with a highly resolved performer with great speed and dynamics but without resorting to being nasty. The Koetsu is highly emotional in its own coloured sense giving you a gentle embrace.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I own the entire line up of Koetsu stone body cartridges all with diamond cantilever, there are significant differences between bodies but will not go into detail here. The coral stone with diamond cantilever while not as rose tinted as previous Koetsu models is a quite a different cartridge I have one set up on one of my turntables. It has great body and is certainly not lacking weight I love the cartridge but is far more system and set up dependent.The Koetsu bass while plenty of it does not have the resolution or speed and overall control the Etsuro have has tremendous control and slam and can hit you in the chest while the Koetsu spreads but can in some instances get into a splurge. The midrange has great texture on the Koetsu while highly enjoyable does not have the same level of lack of grain and ultimate micro nuance it gets deeper into the recording. Obviously ultimately one can use either to tune ones system etc, the Etsuro is a far more balanced performer in my option and gets outs of the way with a highly resolved performer with great speed and dynamics but without resorting to being nasty. The Koetsu is highly emotional in its own coloured sense giving you a gentle embrace.

Wow, that's amazing that you own the entire line of Koetsu stone body carts. Many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback...much appreciated. Etsuro must be a very special cart.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
another gem tonight. just grabbed this one randomly as a warm up, not listened to in forever.

DG 139016, a Tulip from 1967, side one, Sibelius; Finlandia, Valse Triste, and Der Schwan Von (the Swan of) Tuonela. (my sleeve is printed in Germany)

https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Sibeli...iste-The-Swan-Of-Tuonela-Tap/release/11075946

the Finlandia is nice.......but the massed strings on the latter 2 cuts are achingly beautiful. haunting and compelling music. i don't really know this music but i was stunned. don't recall how other tt's and carts did this......but this was great and i will return to it often and offer it as a demo track for sure. the combination of tonality and the textures and timbre of these strings is worth investigation. sweeping majestic musical views greatly enjoyed.

quiet pressing, well recorded.

not yet listened to the Tapiola on side two.

1578717263313.png

Last edited:

108CY

May 4, 2013
Of all the Koetsu models the blue tiger eye which is non commercial and the carnelian are by far my favourite both were at the time one offs they do do some interesting things indeed.

Reactions: ashandger

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018

I used to own a Koetsu Coralstone until last year (not the diamond cantilever version), its a lovely thing but Mik’s description is spot on

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
I used to own a Koetsu Coralstone until last year (not the diamond cantilever version), its a lovely thing but Mik’s description is spot on

The coral stone with boron cantilever while nice is rather lifeless in comparison to be honest, the diamond cantilever is far less coloured it provides far less grain and becomes a different ball game. I actually enjoy it a lot in many ways.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Would an Etsuro Gold match well with an AMG 12JT “Turbo” tonearm with effective mass of 13.9 grams? (I couldn’t find the compliance value in the specs, unless it is posted in units I am unfamiliar with or has a different title for this value.)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Would an Etsuro Gold match well with an AMG 12JT “Turbo” tonearm with effective mass of 13.9 grams? (I couldn’t find the compliance value in the specs, unless it is posted in units I am unfamiliar with or has a different title for this value.)

Bob,

don't really know myself. i did send a note to Mik to respond.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing