Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux in the house

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
After reading many good posts here and on the internet about Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux, finally I placed an order and it arrived today. This is a beautifully built cartridge, elegant looking, and box low profile, even the Sapphire cantilever looks elegant.

It is not too difficult to mount it onto my Kuzma 4P 11inch arm. I like this tone arm a lot, for its versatility, wide range of cart weight and easy to use and adjust design.

I put it on a Transrotor Tourbillon TT and hook it up to a SUT+MM phono stage from Kondo, SFz SUT+M7 phono. I use the 3 ohm setting on the SUT, Odin 2 tone-arm cable.

I couldn’t help the excitement once the cart started to sing from the 1st min. I really adore the sound a lot. In the recent 6 months, I got 2 Lyra Lambda (Atlas and Enta SL) and an Anna D. None of those gave me a first minute « wow » as such. Though I like those carts very much too. They all have a soul, a character that I like but they didn’t wow me.

The sound of Bordeaux is warm, but very dynamic, a velvet sound just like its coating, color of a good bordeaux wine, true art of Urushi. Sound stage is excellent, wide and deep. Channel separation is also great. It is quite and dark background. I have to admit that the mid-range is a little bit colorized, but I really like the sound. I learnt through various posts that after hours, up to 40 hours, sound will improve. I’m eager to see the potential.

Now there’s a sense of conservativeness in the bass, as a few others commented. I believe it will clear up after hours.

I played a 3 blind mice record, which gave me a thrill as soon as the stylus hits the record. It was explosive, very dynamic and rhythmic. Same performance when I switched to John Williams/Sophie Mutter album of John’s movie sound tracks. And finally the Bach piano solo from Olafsson. I’m surprised that even within the first hour, the bass and density of the sound is already impressive. The sound is lush, detailed, while not excessive.

Everything was well played and I have no complaints at all.

I start to dream about the Gold version, while expecting this Bordeaux shines more after some hours’ play.

2D234753-542B-41D3-BAD9-4133AE5CDE5C.jpeg

57C0B697-6622-4E31-9F03-5CF7FCC28A67.jpeg

Last edited:

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
After reading many good posts here and on the internet about Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux, finally I placed an order and it arrived today. This is a beautifully built cartridge, elegant looking, and box low profile, even the Sapphire cantilever looks elegant.

It is not too difficult to mount it onto my Kuzma 4P 11inch arm. I like this tone arm a lot, for its versatility, wide range of cart weight and easy to use and adjust design.

I put it on a Transrotor Tourbillon TT and hook it up to a SUT+MM phono stage from Kondo, SFz SUT+M7 phono. I use the 3 ohm setting on the SUT, Odin 2 tone-arm cable.

I couldn’t help the excitement once the cart started to sing from the 1st min. I really adore the sound a lot. In the recent 6 months, I got 2 Lyra Lambda (Atlas and Enta SL) and an Anna D. None of those gave me a first minute « wow » as such. Though I like those carts very much too. They all have a soul, a character that I like but they didn’t wow me.

The sound of Bordeaux is warm, but very dynamic, a velvet sound just like its coating, color of a good bordeaux wine, true art of Urushi. Sound stage is excellent, wide and deep. Channel separation is also great. It is quite and dark background. I have to admit that the mid-range is a little bit colorized, but I really like the sound. I learnt through various posts that after hours, up to 40 hours, sound will improve. I’m eager to see the potential.

Now there’s a sense of conservativeness in the bass, as a few others commented. I believe it will clear up after hours.

I played a 3 blind mice record, which gave me a thrill after I got to hear it. It was explosive, very dynamic and rhythmic. Same performance when I switched to John Williams/Sophie Mutter album of John’s movie sound tracks. And finally the Bach piano solo from Olafsson. I’m surprised that even within the first hour, the bass and density of the sound is already impressive.

I start to dream about the Gold version.

View attachment 79924

View attachment 79925
“Exquisite”

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
A piece of art and craftsmanship. Congratulations. Let her sing!

We are all so very blessed to enjoy such luxuries.

Reactions: RickS

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Curious to hear if there is a significant difference in sound qualities between a sapphire or Diamond cantilever. I suppose at this price performance point it may well come down to the execution of the totality of the cartridge design.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Curious to hear if there is a significant difference in sound qualities between a sapphire or Diamond cantilever. I suppose at this price performance point it may well come down to the execution of the totality of the cartridge design.

i have 3 Etsuro Gold's with the diamond cantilever, and have heard the Etsuro Bordeaux in my own system compared to my various Gold's. yes, i do prefer my 3 Gold's to the Bordeaux in my particular system.

which does not definitively answer the question, since there are more differences between the Bordeaux and Gold than the cantilever. one would need to A/B otherwise identical cartridges, one with the sapphire cantilever, and one with the diamond, to say with confidence. sometimes the more expensive model has closer tolerances.

what is really going on with differences? who knows besides the designer?

in general, i have found that diamond cantilever carts tend to be superior to the same models without. although again mostly that is not the only difference. for instance; i far preferred my Anna Diamond to the standard Anna, but i know the Anna D also had a superior suspension (compared to the standard Anna) like the Century.

Reactions: audioquest4life

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

We have the same arm and I am torn between getting a Miyajima Destiny, Anna Diamond or a possible contender like the Bordeaux. Can you let us know more about differences you hear in respect to Anna Diamond please?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

I played a 3 blind mice record, which gave me a thrill as soon as the stylus hits the record. It was explosive, very dynamic and rhythmic. Same performance when I switched to John Williams/Sophie Mutter album of John’s movie sound tracks. And finally the Bach piano solo from Olafsson. I’m surprised that even within the first hour, the bass and density of the sound is already impressive. The sound is lush, detailed, while not excessive.

I start to dream about the Gold version, while expecting this Bordeaux shines more after some hours’ play.

View attachment 79924

View attachment 79925
Absolutely stunning.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
We have the same arm and I am torn between getting a Miyajima Destiny, Anna Diamond or a possible contender like the Bordeaux. Can you let us know more about differences you hear in respect to Anna Diamond please?
i don't have your same arm. but i did compare the Anna D directly to the Etsuro Gold in my system on the same arm, the Durand Tosca, which had been a great match for the Anna D. i was surprised at the difference favoring the Etsuro Gold. the Bordeaux is closer to the Gold than the Anna D. for whatever that is worth.

and i was smitten with the Anna Diamond prior to that.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
i don't have your same arm. but i did compare the Anna D directly to the Etsuro Gold in my system on the same arm, the Durand Tosca, which had been a great match for the Anna D. i was surprised at the difference favoring the Etsuro Gold. the Bordeaux is closer to the Gold than the Anna D. for whatever that is worth.

and i was smitten with the Anna Diamond prior to that.
It is worth a lot coming from someone who actually had experienced all of them in the same system and on top of that you did it on a reference one.

Anna D and Bordeaux are at a very similar price points too so it is a fair comparison. Also reading from @ShawnZH that it works with my Kuzma tonearm, now this has become a serious contender for me.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
i have 3 Etsuro Gold's with the diamond cantilever, and have heard the Etsuro Bordeaux in my own system compared to my various Gold's. yes, i do prefer my 3 Gold's to the Bordeaux in my particular system.

which does not definitively answer the question, since there are more differences between the Bordeaux and Gold than the cantilever. one would need to A/B otherwise identical cartridges, one with the sapphire cantilever, and one with the diamond, to say with confidence. sometimes the more expensive model has closer tolerances.

what is really going on with differences? who knows besides the designer?

in general, i have found that diamond cantilever carts tend to be superior to the same models without. although again mostly that is not the only difference. for instance; i far preferred my Anna Diamond to the standard Anna, but i know the Anna D also had a superior suspension (compared to the standard Anna) like the Century.
I believe I can tell the difference between Gold and Bordeaux very soon. After a few days with Bordeaux, my itching heart stimulated me to place an order to a Gold. I guess I can get It in 2 to 3 weeks’ time. I will be able to do an A/B comparison then.

But normally, I guess the difference won’t justify the price difference. Just curious how different, or how much better Gold would be. I’ll be able mount the 2 carts on 2 Kuzma 4P to compare.

Stay tuned!

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Hi Kodomo,

I’ve been spending almost all the past days on Etsuro, trying to break it in faster, though the debut sound is already charming to my ears. I have the Anna D mounted on another 4P 11inch on AF 1, amplified by the phono stage on the Dartzeel pre, which is also a great phono stage, making the Dartzeel Pre 18NS MK2 a real buy.

I didn’t spend too much time in comparing the 2 carts. However, in a few switch-overs among Anna D, Lyra Atlas, Etsuro Bordeaux, I’d say the following:

Anna D is the most “factual” cart, which adds very little of its own flavor into the music, very straightforward, neutral and natural. It doesn’t mean it’s boring. It is just not an exciting cart. I like the simplicity of this cart.

Lyra Atlas in my ears has the most wide-open sound spectrum from low to high, still neutral, but its highs are with more details, very airy, analytical. Atlas has a vast sound stage, very spatial, best in the 3.

Etsuro Bordeaux is the most charming sound, full bodied, best among the 3 in the mid-range, lots of details in the mid-range, which makes the listening a real enjoyment since in the classical music, especially the orchestra pieces, most of the instruments played in this range. Bass is the deepest among the 3, while highs are a little darkened. Due to the freshness for just a few hours, I feel the sound stage is not as open as the others however I trust along with the break-in, it’ll get there. The Etsuro sound is a bit “colorized” in my ears. But it is a healthy colorization.

I‘ll come back on the comparison when I have more hours on the Etsuro, hopefully with the arrival of my ordered Gold.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I spent my weekend playing the SUT match-up among the 3 SUTs that I have: Kondo SFz, AirTight ATH-2 Ref, MSL 1030.

I have a previous generation SFz with 3 levels’ of load imp, 1.5ohm, 3ohm, 40ohm with 36db, 30db, 20db added respectively.

AT ATH-2Ref offers 2 levels: 2ohm and 40ohm with 29db and 23db added.

MSL 1030 offers 1 option: 26db

1. Bordeaux outputs 0.25mv gain, theoretically, the best is to boost it up to a 5mv-7mv range, hence an amplification ratio between 20x and 35x makes sense.

2. In terms of load impedance, Bordeaux is a 3ohm cart. Classically, a 30ohm to 45ohm load impedance seems to be proper.

If we take the 1 and 2 as criteria to find a matching SUT, among the ones that I have, the 3ohm SFz gives me 31.6x ratio and a load impedance of 47ohm, the ATH-2ref at 2ohm gives me 30x ratio and 52ohm at the load impedance. Both seem to be in a good range.

To cut the back-n-forth comparisons short, I find the results prove the theory. The above 2 options work best for Etsuro Bordeaux in my system.

I loaded the SUTs into my Kondo M7 mm phonostage, with 46db gain, which is on a high side. It works well with my Dartzeel preamp, which I found with a relatively low gain at the input stage.

Both ATH-2Ref and SFz can bring the beauty of Bordeaux, on SFz even more so, maybe due to its all silver wiring. The tone is rich and lush but not excessive. Some posts reported that Bordeaux may sound a bit too much on the mid-range. I found the same if I load it into a different impedance, say 26db or 23db alike. That gives a load impedance at about 117ohm and 240ohm which seems to be too high for a 3ohm cart.

It is interesting that the Etsuro SUT is with 26db, 20x ratio. This is the same as the MSL 1030 SUT that I have. But the MSL 1030 didn’t give me a good sound. It sounds a bit muddy and makes the mid-range a bit too much boom. It doesn’t mean Etsuro SUT would be the same. But at least, I found the load at about 50ohm at the SUT works best for me.

SFz gives better highs, more airy and textured. ATH-2Ref is a bit more calm, a bit deeper in the bass. Both are very enjoyable.

I loaded the bordeaux directly into Soulution 755 MC, found it better loaded at 100ohm at a high gain level. But it doesn’t match the performance of an SUT to a cheaper Kondo M7.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have a previous generation SFz with 3 levels’ of load imp, 1.5ohm, 3ohm, 40ohm with 36db, 30db, 20db added respectively.
if you have not used SFz's (or any SUT's) 3ohms tap recently it will need some burning in to show it's full potential. I noticed that when I switch from 1ohm tap of my Kondo Sfz to 3ohms (for different cartridges). after a week of constant use sound became more alive, full bodied and relaxed. same thing happened from 40ohms to 1ohm or 3ohms. it takes around 20 hours (1 week) to settle down. I guess same rule applies for tube amplifiers speaker taps too.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
if you have not used SFz's (or any SUT's) 3ohms tap recently it will need some burning in to show it's full potential. I noticed that when I switch from 1ohm tap of my Kondo Sfz to 3ohms (for different cartridges). after a week of constant use sound became more alive, full bodied and relaxed. same thing happened from 40ohms to 1ohm or 3ohms. it takes around 20 hours (1 week) to settle down. I guess same rule applies for tube amplifiers speaker taps too.
Thanks Mtemur for the comments. Though I don't get why 3ohm can help to expedite the burn-in, I do agree that 3ohm tap is a sweat spot for my Bordeaux in my system. Frankly, 3ohm on SFz is a bit on the high side of an amplification, by adding 30db, boosting 31 times the output. It might be working on my system better than others since Dartzeel preamp doesn't have a high input gain in its inputs. It might compliment to each other. So the sound is quite refined but still robust.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Though I don't get why 3ohm can help to expedite the burn-in,
I don’t know why but I guess it’s because being not used for a long time. anyway it recovers very fast.
Frankly, 3ohm on SFz is a bit on the high side of an amplification, by adding 30db, boosting 31 times the output.
actually it’s not. 30db SUT is a perfect match for 0.25mV cartridge. Kondo M7 phono’s gain is on the high side and that’s why you’re getting a signal relatively on the high side. I like M7 but it’s 46dB gain might be too much for some setups. it’s meant to be used with a SET amp without a preamplifier such as Kondo Ongaku.

newly designed Kondo phono preamps have lower output. GE-1 has 34dB and GE-10 has 38dB of gain. I listened all of them for a long time and additionally I listened all three Kondo phono preamps (M7, GE-1 and GE-10) side by side on a Kondo setup which I’m very familiar. Although I like M7’s sound signature a lot but GE-1 is fairly better and GE-10 is incomparable to both, it’s another level. switching to GE-1 may not be called and upgrade but to GE-10 is definitely a big upgrade. I can say the same thing for G-1000 considering Kondo preamplifiers.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I don’t know why but I guess it’s because being not used for a long time. anyway it recovers very fast.

actually it’s not. 30db SUT is a perfect match for 0.25mV cartridge. Kondo M7 phono’s gain is on the high side and that’s why you’re getting a signal relatively on the high side. I like M7 but it’s 46dB gain might be too much for some setups. it’s meant to be used with a SET amp without a preamplifier such as Kondo Ongaku.

newly designed Kondo phono preamps have lower output. GE-1 has 34dB and GE-10 has 38dB of gain. I listened all of them for a long time and additionally I listened all three Kondo phono preamps (M7, GE-1 and GE-10) side by side on a Kondo setup which I’m very familiar. Although I like M7’s sound signature a lot but GE-1 is fairly better and GE-10 is incomparable to both, it’s another level. switching to GE-1 may not be called and upgrade but to GE-10 is definitely a big upgrade. I can say the same thing for G-1000 considering Kondo preamplifiers.
Thanks a lot Mtemur. I was looking for reviews and comments about GE-10 but I cannot find any on the internet. I am quite interested to GE-10 but the price difference is big between M-7 and GE-10. I am wondering whether the difference justifies. But obviously, you’re very positive about the improvements of the GE-10 over M7.

I agree with you that the gain of 46db is very high. Sometimes I have to tune down some gain from the pre-amp. With what you said, I’m going to investigate more on GE-10.

Reactions: mtemur

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
The Gold comes much sooner than expected, surprisingly. Got a ring form the dealer 2 days ago and yesterday the Gold is on my TT. Just fresh out-of-box, it looks gorgeous. With just a few hours’ experience with Gold, I could say the sound signature is in the same category of Bordeaux, just every good virtue is amplified. The most significant improvement over Bordeaux is the body, much fuller even just out of box. Bordeaux comparably sounds more relaxed, otherwordly it produces less details. But that’s from the A/B. If I listen to Bordeaux by itself, not at all I felt anything loss. I guess the height of the sky of analog playback is just beyond what people can imagine. I’m waiting to experience Gold when it is more broken-in.

212887A7-3A83-4D18-9633-1CED4CA423C4.jpeg

B9374641-22FD-4A4D-9D01-F93C892B16C3.jpeg

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The Gold comes much sooner than expected, surprisingly. Got a ring form the dealer 2 days ago and yesterday the Gold is on my TT. Just fresh out-of-box, it looks gorgeous. With just a few hours’ experience with Gold, I could say the sound signature is in the same category of Bordeaux, just every good virtue is amplified. The most significant improvement over Bordeaux is the body, much fuller even just out of box. Bordeaux comparably sounds more relaxed, otherwordly it produces less details. But that’s from the A/B. If I listen to Bordeaux by itself, not at all I felt anything loss. I guess the height of the sky of analog playback is just beyond what people can imagine. I’m waiting to experience Gold when it is more broken-in.

View attachment 80134

View attachment 80135
Congrats. It is indeed a very nice sounding cartridge.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

View attachment 80134

View attachment 80135
Congrats, enjoy the gold! What will happen to Bordeaux now? If you are going with the Gold maybe Bordeaux can find a nice loving home at mine :)

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Congrats, enjoy the gold! What will happen to Bordeaux now? If you are going with the Gold maybe Bordeaux can find a nice loving home at mine :)
jajajaja, I think I shall keep the Bordeaux at least till it fully breaks in, while I have 3 TT and 6 arms where I cannot afford to mount them all with Gold. Bordeaux sounds great by itself frankly. Even comparing A/B with Gold, it doesn't lose too much ground.

• Haha
Reactions: RickS and kodomo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing