Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
MoFi is just another company trying to make money, as are the magazines

Always better to be forthright with your customers while trying to make more money.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Robert Harley wrote: “. . . the proof of the pudding is in the tasting.” and “The MoFi albums and One-Step LPs that I own sound particularly great.” I personally don’t think this view, by itself, if true, puts Robert on “MoFi’s side not readers

Well if you add the beginning of the first sentence you quoted I think the context of the above changes "Although Mofi should have been more transparent about the provenance of its sources..." It downplays the issue and excuses Mofi

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IMHO mofi lied to customers or deceived (if I enlarge the limits of politeness).
more importantly they cut lacquers from dsd files and declared that it’s for better sound quality. no it’s not. nobody believes that an “ADDITIONAL” AD and DA conversions make a recording sound better. argument is not about the sound of dsd but an additional step.

mofi used dsd transfer IOT reissue those albums under mofi brand. otherwise they simply couldn’t release those albums cause record companies don’t let master tapes to travel across USA. dsd transfer has nothing to do with sound quality. it simply enabled mofi to reissue those titles and make money.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The only bright spot possibly is a greater transparency in the industry of provenance
i note the recent article on the remixing of Revolver, where the mixing engineer was quite candid about a digital step involved in the remixing

personally I have never been a great fan of reissues , but appreciate they can be hard to acquire, and suffer their own provenance issues eg UK, German, or USA release

its not hard to say what your using as a master, because the record company clearly knows

the problem with MoFi is they pushed a supposed process that suggested/implied exclusivity , and value for money inherent in that, and banked on this, till Thriller proved the deceit with the much larger run ( insiders realised that Sony weren’t releasing the tapes anymore so was just a matter of time anyway)

to use a car analogy it’s like AMG stops hand building engines, and has them built in Some lower cost labour market with robots , but still puts the AMG badge with the engineers signature on the engine ( I am sure they would be good engines, just not the same thing)
some time later we find this out, and people say “ but the engines are good” Yes they are, but they are not “exclusive” and that’s what the AMG badge implied , as now they are mass produced, not hand built .

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
For those of you intently following this MoFi Predicament, I heartily suggest reading the historic piece linked below. It will provide context and background regarding MoFi's thinking and future adoption of DSD as a format and a technology. Do note the names of all those present and be mindful of those individuals who are still with MoFi and what their roles were back in the day.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue1/MoFiDSD.htm

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For those of you intently following this MoFi Predicament, I heartily suggest reading the historic piece linked below. It will provide context and background regarding MoFi's thinking and future adoption of DSD as a format and a technology. Do note the names of all those present and be mindful of those individuals who are still with MoFi and what their roles were back in the day.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue1/MoFiDSD.htm
i thought that was crazy stuff then, still crazy stuff now.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I never was bothered about digital lineage in the production process of a vinyl record.
I am always more concerned whether the boutique re-issue labels had actual access to the studio master tapes.
Even if the masters are digital, I am not the least perturbed, as I have countless digitally recorded/mastered vinyl records that I greatly enjoy listening to.

I was greatly intrigued how much would be the sonic improvements with the mofi 1-step process.
However, this was tempered by how manically restrictive Sony Music had always been with the movements of their master tapes.
To me, even if the pressing quality were top notch, it is still 2 steps backwards if the re-issue boutique never got access to the master tapes.

Well, I was not impressed with the Mofi 45rpm 2LP release, nor with the 1-step 45rpm boxset.
In fact, the 1-step was greatly inferior against a Singaporean 3-eye pressing.
I found the 1-step missing details, presence, energy and life that the Singapore pressing have in abundance.
The Mofi 1-step does have fuller bass though...
The Singapore 3-eye just simply sound more alive.

An audio buddy suggested that maybe different masters were used for both of them.

I kinda thought that probably he was right, as I also couldn't hear the same energy with all other USA (non 2-eye or 3-eye) pressings that I have on hand. And none of the Abraxas SACD pressings (i have stereo JSACD, the USA paper carton outerbox stereo SACD, the USA transparent outerbox stereo SACD, and the EU paper outerbox SACD and Mofi stereo SACD) all have this same "energy" that the Singaporean 3-eye vinyl have.

Nevertheless, I continued to buy further 1-step releases, including the 2 SRVs. But that was until they changed the vinyl formula to transparent which made them unreadable on my laser turntable (remember it was the Simon and Garfunkel). So I stopped buying for a while, and only picked up again with the Carol King, Muddy Waters, Clapton and all the Eagles.

And then recently, found that same presence, energy and life that I mentioned about on the Abraxas Singapore 3-eye pressing.

And it came from what I thought would be 2 unlikeliest of pressings - the 1981 Sony USA in-house half speed remastered, and the Japanese pressed, hybrid SACD in the 7" cardboard packaging.

I immediately went to buy extra copies.

So it seems my Singaporean 3-eye pressing wasn't a one-off. The half-speed have that same "energy" too.
They both must had been derived from the same masters.
And they are finally getting it right with the new Japanese 7" digipak SACD releases.
The Tapestry, The Stranger, and Toto IV re-issues in 7" digipaks sound fantastic too.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Lawsuit #4 filed in California
The Complaint

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO DIVISION
THOMAS MOLINARI, Plaintiff,
vs.
AUDIOPHILE MUSIC DIRECT, INC.; MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB, INC.,
Defendants.
Case No.: 3:22-cv-05444-KAW
FIRST AMENDED CLASS ACTION COMPLAINT
DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL

I read through the complaint and it is really well written. Very focused and to the point.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...maybe it only impacts "Mile" Davis. That's weak for such an expensive litigation, if you ask me (you didn't). Tsk, tsk...

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Respectfully, I think this view is too simplistic. My main point, suggested above, is that there are separate issues here.

Robert Harley wrote: “. . . the proof of the pudding is in the tasting.” and “The MoFi albums and One-Step LPs that I own sound particularly great.” I personally don’t think this view, by itself, if true, puts Robert on “MoFi’s side not readers’.”

But I understand why you feel the way you do.

Robert Harley's article is particularly apologist in that he misrepresents the 3 justifications in his own article. The first two reasons he gives for why MoFi LPs sound better than DSD: that MoFi sources the best master recording, and that they make careful track by track adjustments would improve both a DSD release, and an LP.

Here we have an opportunity to release the highest quality version on DSD, not just an LP, and they choose not to. This is one of my personal pet peeves on this brouhaha.

Then finally he states that consumers are not likely to have D/A conversion as good as the studio, yet the same is true for most consumer vinyl playback systems.

These misrepresentations are clearly meant to bolster his argument and show that he is not being a straight shooter.

thazeldean

Mar 1, 2013
The only bright spot possibly is a greater transparency in the industry of provenance.

I quote from awsmone above but I disagree, the bright spot is in most of the MoFi reissues, I have purchased quite a few, and except for the recent Eagles One step reissues, I have always found them bright. The Cars and B52's reissues are almost unlistenable. I always suspected there was digital in the chain but the recent revelations have confirmed it.

I feel that the dark spot is in the deception of MoFi as a company, which, while not outright lying, have certainly been deceptive in their advertising.

I for one will never again purchase a MoFi reissue unless they are confirmed as all analogue.

Reactions: Audire and dan31

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Our davidavdavid informed me that Mobile Fidelity has, once again, changed the visual workflow description of its Ultra Disc One Step Process:

22FF841F-2051-4763-8501-19008824CAA6.jpeg

Note that the representation of a reel-to-reel tape as the first step has been removed completely.

Note, more importantly, that any reference to the DSD conversion step also has been eliminated! How does hiding — once again — the digital conversion step fulfill Jim Davis’ promise of transparency going forward?

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Yeah, what's the point here? Why change the graphic? What's the context? None of the verbiage has changed, and it's not like the previous iteration of the graphic has not been seen, moreover it has been screen-captured and saved for posterity.

No Reel-to-Reel? No mention of the DSD transfer in the diagram? Re-writing history in this digital age of ours nigh on impossible. #laugh #cry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Our davidavdavid informed me that Mobile Fidelity has, once again, changed the visual workflow description of its Ultra Disc One Step Process:

View attachment 98793

Note that the representation of a reel-to-reel tape as the first step has been removed completely.

Note, more importantly, that any reference to the DSD conversion step also has been eliminated! How does hiding — once again — the digital conversion step fulfill Jim Davis’ promise of transparency going forward?

Ron,
The Ultra Disc One Step Process just refers to the cutting and lacquering process, they just removed the source specification in the description of the process. What is your point?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
See Michael Hobson’s answer to my question: “Do you think you can take an analog master tape, convert it to DSD, and cut a record from that DSD that is better than the record you could cut from the analog master tape?”

pazmusik

Nov 3, 2022
These MoFi conversations have been shut down over on Hoffman forums...

Looking at spectrogams of the One-Steps I own, and particularly when comparing them to original pressings I own, I am now concerned. I'd urgently like some clarification from MoFi on this.
Isn't the inclusion of a 30 ips - to - DSD 256 (as on the new MJ Thriller coming out later this month) an additional step, which would make it a two-step? What's with the puffery? I'm like Robert Plant; I'm thru with the two-step.

BTW, how do you like your Bardo? I've been very curious about that table.

pazmusik

Nov 3, 2022
btw, thanks to all for the links, the graphics, and the explanations. This is why I joined this forum.

~ Peter

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Isn't the inclusion of a 30 ips - to - DSD 256 (as on the new MJ Thriller coming out later this month) an additional step, which would make it a two-step? What's with the puffery? I'm like Robert Plant; I'm thru with the two-step.

BTW, how do you like your Bardo? I've been very curious about that table.

Not really. If you look up the record manufacturing process, most of the information describes cutting, plating, lacquers, stampers, etc, and not what happens before that since it is variable with regard to any sound processing in the mastering process.

MoFi added a picture of the "master tape" in their process which people took literally as "nothing happens between the master tape and the mastering/manufacturing process." MoFi of course did nothing to dispel this and lied in certain instances.

That's why their latest diagram of the process completely removes the source from the picture - in my opinion that makes the diagram more in-line with other descriptions of the record manufacturing process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing