Press Release: Full-line Products from Genesis at CES 2014

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
# # # # # #​

Genesis Advanced Technologies
654 South Lucile St
Seattle, WA 98108
Tel: 206 762 8383
eMail: info@genesisloudspeakers.com

For Immediate Release: January 2, 2014

Full-line Products from Genesis at CES2014

Seattle, WA – Genesis Advanced Technologies, manufacturer of high-end hi-fi products in Seattle, WA is proud to announce a full line-up of products from source to loudspeakers to be shown during the Consumer Electronics Show, January 7th to 10th 2014, The Venetian Hotel, Suite #29-309, Las Vegas, NV USA.

Genesis CEO and designer, Mr. Gary L. Koh strives for what he calls ‘Absolute Fidelity®’ – not just accurately reproducing the sound of music, but bringing the musical event and performance back to life. Included in the tools he uses for design are recordings provided to him by his recording engineer friends – recordings where he was present at in the studio or at the performance.

The loudspeaker is at the end of the reproduction chain and can only be as accurate as the rest of the chain. Gary found that sometimes, the loudspeaker design would compensate for the sound of some upstream component in the system. When that component was replaced, the sound would completely change. Not what he was striving for at all.

He reasoned that the only way to consistently reproduce the musical performance accurately is to control the entire chain. Over the past 10 years, he found himself designing amplifiers, racks, source components, interconnects and cables, and a preamplifier so that he could design better loudspeakers.

With the chain complete, the only variables left are the music and the room. Genesis loudspeakers all incorporate controls to help dial in the speaker to the room – at least with high-frequency and bass level adjustments. To help with the music, Gary frequently blogs on the subject of great recordings that he has found on the Genesis Facebook page.

Originally founded in 1991, the legacy of Genesis goes back to the Infinity Servo-Statik One[1] launched in 1968. In 2002, Gary purchased the brand, assets and technology. Since then, we have built on the legacy improving the original designs and developing new ones, and improved upon the engineering and build quality of Genesis loudspeakers. In 2014, Genesis is very proud to demonstrate the full ‘Absolute Fidelity’ line-up of products from source to loudspeaker during the Consumer Electronics Show.

New Genesis Source

“When I first conducted a demo at CES 2006 with a computer as a music server I was laughed at,” said Mr. Gary L. Koh, President and CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies. “That was the last year that the High Performance Audio showcase was in the Alexis Park Hotel and CD/SACD players were still the norm. By CES2008, everybody was asking me how to build one, and I published my first ‘recipe’ on-line. I kept this updated annually and even conducted a ‘build-your-own-server’ workshop in 2010 for members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society (www.audiosociety.org) and answered questions about the recipe on a public forum (www.www.whatsbestforum.com).”

Despite Gary’s published recipe, demand for his server has not abated. With the easy availability of downloaded high-resolution digital music, and the proliferation of USB-connected DACs, interest in a server solution has accelerated. To fulfill the demand for a computer-based music server that is easy to use and that sounds great, Genesis is proud to announce the Genesis Muse Music Source (or the G-Source).

“The G-Source is probably the most exciting product I have seen from Genesis,” said Mr. Robb Niemann, CEO of Rutherford Audio, the exclusive Genesis distributor for North America. “When Gary gave me a prototype, he told me to down load an app, plug it in, and sit back and enjoy the music. It really turned out to be that simple, sounds great, and I can see one in the home of every music-lover.”

“I spent way too many years in the computer industry to market yet another complicated machine,” said Mr. Koh. “I wanted the G-Source to be a ‘black box’ that just sits there quietly and does everything you want. It is format-agnostic, and plays all resolutions of music from 16bit/44.1kHz to 32-bit/384kHz PCM to 11.2896MHz DSD. It will also play Internet radio, stream Pandora, and Rhapsody. If you are an audiophile and not content with the quality of the analog output, you can plug in the USB DAC of your choice. However, I believe that most customers will be satisfied with the quality of the analog output I have delivered.”

The G-Source will be shown in prototype form at CES 2014, and first shipments are projected for March 2014 at an indicative price of US$15,000.

New Genesis Loudspeaker

Unlike companies who launch a new ‘upgrade’ for all their models every two or three years, Genesis loudspeakers have a much longer life-span, and are kept regularly updated with new technologies and parts. For example, the improved Genesis Ring-Radiator Ribbon Tweeter (the Genesis R3T) is available as an upgrade to every Genesis loudspeaker ever built. Improved servo-bass amplifiers are also available for select models dating back to 1991.

The new Genesis 4 loudspeaker (US$45,000 per pair) is very much more than just another upgrade or a line-filler product. It was the natural development of Gary’s work designing the Genesis Dragon, and his frequent interaction with the industry as well as customers and their families. The G4 reflects many of the new desires and lifestyles of the potential market. Unlike other ‘audiophile’ loudspeakers, it is not designed to be tuned specifically to the seated position of a single listener. It is designed to be shared with family and friends, while still retaining the qualities that an audiophile craves.

Hence, it is small and light so as not to overwhelm the living room. It will work in a party environment as someone standing between the speaker and the listener would not cast a large ‘sonic shadow’. As with all of Gary’s designs, it will play all music equally well from small jazz vocals to classical orchestras to rock to deep house.

In the hierarchy of the Genesis loudspeaker product line, the Genesis 4 is positioned above the Genesis 5 point-source dynamic loudspeaker, and below the Genesis 2 line-source ribbon-midrange loudspeaker. It features a point-source ribbon-midrange and dynamic mid-bass couplers.

“I am very excited with this new loudspeaker,” said Mr. Koh. “Doing half a dozen shows a year around the world gives me a chance to talk to a diverse group of people. Different people like different sounds. I like accuracy, but not everybody does. So, I’ve given them two new controls to work with – one that goes from soft to bright, and another that goes from tight to warm. It’ll drive the audiophiles crazy, but as my usual with all my designs, turn the knobs to point straight up, and that will be ‘flat’.”

All Genesis loudspeakers are designed to be tuned into the environment that the loudspeakers are placed in. In a brighter room with lots of hard reflecting surfaces, the tweeter can be dialed down. And in a room with a lot of large, stuffed sofas that absorb more bass, the bass gain can be boosted to compensate. The Genesis 4 takes this one step further by providing more tuning beyond room compensation to change the sound to cater to listener preferences.

“I like to call this new loudspeaker the G-Force,” said Mr. Koh. “It uses everything I’ve learned about vector forces and loudspeaker coupling/decoupling. Instead of taking the brute force approach of a heavy, massive cabinet, I’ve gone instead towards intelligently managing the forces. Learning from the carbon fiber Genesis Dragon, I’ve used a bamboo (it’s a grass, not a wood!) ply to achieve much of the same effect at lower cost. Every speaker is custom hand-built, and the CES prototype shows off our ability to customize the finish of the loudspeaker with a high-gloss stained finish and a damask pattern that my wife wanted for the living room.”

Updated Genesis Amplifiers

To fill in the blanks between the loudspeaker and the source, Genesis has updated its multi-award winning Reference Amplifier range with two full-differential monoblock amplifiers and an improved the stereo amplifier. Genesis will show the top-of-the-line GRA1440 Monoblock Amplifiers ($22,000 per pair) at CES. Two additional models will be available, a GRA760 monoblock amplifier ($15,000 per pair) and a GRA360 stereo amplifier ($8,000 each). All amplifiers include an outboard power supply, and the Genesis acoustic suspension system. The Maximum Dynamic Headroom Reservoir has also been updated and is available as a power supply upgrade to all the new amplifiers.

To control the volume, switch sources and drive the updated amplifiers, a prototype of the Genesis SMc-1 preamplifier with an optional built-in phono stage (indicative price US$15,000) will also be demonstrated. This reference-quality preamplifier was developed jointly with Mr. Steve McCormack of SMcAudio.

Genesis Cables and Accessories

In order to connect all the parts together, the Absolute Fidelity® Interface Cables have been unearthed from Gary’s ‘underground website’ (www.absolutefidelity.com) and added to the regular offerings from Genesis. These ‘G-Strings’ include loudspeaker cables, interconnect cables and power cords.

Finally, an equipment rack and an amplifier stand are available to hold everything. The Genesis Foundation Rack is a 32” high 4-shelf equipment rack that will retail at $12,000. Additional shelves start at $2,800. Other rack components include an Amplifier Foundation Stand at $3,500 and a Turntable Platform at $3,000. The Foundation series racks are a logical progression from the acoustic suspensions that have been implemented since it was first introduced with the G5.3 in 2007. All Genesis electronics products include an acoustic suspension that may be omitted if a Foundation Rack or Foundation Stand is used.

New Product Availability

The new Genesis 4 loudspeaker is available for pre-order immediately for delivery end-January 2014. The Genesis Reference Amplifiers, Absolute Fidelity Interfaces (G-Strings) and Foundation Rack are also available for order immediately. The Genesis Muse Music Source (G-Source) will be available in early Spring, and the Genesis SMc-1 preamplifier will be available in early Summer. Pre-orders will be taken and orders will be delivered on a first-come first-served basis.

TL : DR[2] – Boy, do we have things to show you @ CES 2014!!

About Genesis Advanced Technologies

Genesis Advanced Technologies is a leading designer and manufacturer of high-end, luxury and reference loudspeaker systems, amplifiers and accessories with a commitment to absolute fidelity® in product, performance, and service. The hallmarks of the “Genesis sound” are a top-to-bottom harmonic and rhythmic coherence, and believable “you-are-there” imaging and soundstage.

With a 40-year technology legacy, Genesis loudspeakers are often referred to as the “world’s best” when it comes to high-frequency clarity and bass extension. Going beyond high fidelity to absolute fidelity, Genesis loudspeaker systems deliver a frequency range from 18Hz to 40kHz using ribbon tweeters and proprietary solid metal-cone servo-controlled powered woofers.

For more information please contact: Genesis Advanced Technologies • 654 S Lucile St • Seattle, WA 98108 • voice: 206-762-8383 • info@genesisloudspeakers.com • www.genesisloudspeakers.com

[1] Infinity™ is now a division of Harman International

[2] “Too Long: Didn’t Read”

G4 3qtr-small.jpg

GRA1440-small.jpg

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Very nice looking speaker Gary, congratulations. Assume the BG Neo8 is modified by you guys? Awesome driver though. Built a set of DIY bookshelf speakers about 6 years ago - speakers sound like crap, but the Neo8 is terrific. Did u consider the Neo10, or does that overlap too much with the couplers?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very nice looking speaker Gary, congratulations. Assume the BG Neo8 is modified by you guys? Awesome driver though. Built a set of DIY bookshelf speakers about 6 years ago - speakers sound like crap, but the Neo8 is terrific. Did u consider the Neo10, or does that overlap too much with the couplers?

Good catch, Simon.

I have all the sizes, and the Neo10 doesn't work as well. There's quite a lot of considerations to make picking a driver to use, and them modifying it and using it for my own purposes. How did you use the Neo8 in your DIY bookshelf speakers?

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
How did you use the Neo8 in your DIY bookshelf speakers?

Really very rudimentary stuff. I used a Neo3 for the tweeter, a Neo8 for the midrange, and Vifa 8" cone for the bass and then a pretty simple 3-way cross-over; cannot even recall the details anymore. Made three of them for LCR to sit in the entertainment cabinet in the family room. Tweeter and midrange work well, but there is significant suck-out in the upper bass so everything sounds 'small'. Don't believe you will ever need to worry about competition from Simon Ellis Audio :lol:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Really very rudimentary stuff. I used a Neo3 for the tweeter, a Neo8 for the midrange, and Vifa 8" cone for the bass and then a pretty simple 3-way cross-over; cannot even recall the details anymore. Made three of them for LCR to sit in the entertainment cabinet in the family room. Tweeter and midrange work well, but there is significant suck-out in the upper bass so everything sounds 'small'. Don't believe you will ever need to worry about competition from Simon Ellis Audio :lol:

My respect for you has just gone up. At least you tried - much better than armchair loudspeaker designers who criticize without any experience! The Vifa 8" cone probably has mass of an order of magnitude (or two) higher than the ribbon midrange. Making them match would be quite a challenge ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing