Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
WBF’s monthly organic traffic is 12,614 according to google analytics.

TAS’s monthly organic traffic is 200,000.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
WBF’s monthly organic traffic is 12,614 according to google analytics.

TAS’s monthly organic traffic is 200,000.

Fascinating. For high-end audio -- something of a niche hobby for guys with expendable resources -- that's pretty good audience numbers for both.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Fascinating. For high-end audio -- something of a niche hobby for guys with expendable resources -- that's pretty good audience numbers for both.
Our Facebook page regularly gets 500,000 unique visitors a month.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
you want truth? great video with relevance to this thread. i opened a separate thread for it.....here;

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Speakers Corner Press Release:

2BB85070-AE64-496A-B148-8A65268768DB.jpeg

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
For more thoughtful observers, the technical comments make this a more innocent mistake by MFSL imho:
I am a thoughtful observer, this is as far removed "an innocent mistake" a company could make.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Reactions: bonzo75

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
It would appear that Mobile Fidelity's (MoFi) GAIN 2 Technology is 20th-century and not 21st-century tech. As far back as 1998 with MoFi's release of Tom Petty's Full Full Moon Fever. Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc II/GAIN 2 UDCD 735, it would appear that the use of Sony's DSD was indeed a thing almost a quarter of a century ago

Here is the link to my latest update where you can read more. I link to the Free Library's archive of the Sensible Sound where the original article was published in their January 1, 1999 issue.

The MoFi Predicament - Dagogo

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Jonathan Valin states within the last paragraph in the Guest Editorial section of the October 2022 issue of TAS :

"My bottom line is this: After MoFi spent decades keeping the LP alive and kicking - releasing many, many sonic triumphs over that span (including several of the One Steps) - it would be worse than ungrateful of audiophiles not to show some charity here."

"worse than ungrateful of audiophiles" - Quite the take, ingratitude for some perceived largesse on the part of MoFi. That along with Harley's Proof is in the Pudding article and the Jim Davis interview , both of which are also in the October issue, make light note of the lack of transparency and make every effort to sweep it aside by focusing on the perceived production benefits. And, no mention of the pricing issue anywhere; not really a surprise.

Last edited:

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Jonathan Valin states within the last paragraph in the Guest Editorial section of the October 2022 issue of TAS :

"My bottom line is this: After MoFi spent decades keeping the LP alive and kicking - releasing many, many sonic triumphs over that span (including several of the One Steps) - it would be worse than ungrateful of audiophiles not to show some charity here."

"worse than ungrateful of audiophiles" - Quite the take, ingratitude for some perceived largesse on the part of MoFi. That along with Hartley's Proof is in the Pudding article and the Jim Davis interview , both of which are also in the October issue, make light note of the lack of transparency and make every effort to sweep it aside by focusing on the perceived production benefits. And, no mention of the pricing issue anywhere; not really a surprise.
What a cheek! Like they were/are the only record label in existence. It seems TAS are certainly taking “sides’ in this debacle. I guess us audiophiles should be greatful to TAS for keeping high end audio alive too!

Reactions: bonzo75 and facten

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don’t understand why Jonathan attempts to create a balancing equation such that the apparently knowingly misleading statements by Mobile Fidelity (Jonathan: “Indeed, Mobile Fidelity‘s publicity has, I think, deliberately left the impression that everything is accomplished in the analog domain.” “Anyway you look at it, this was not full disclosure.“) somehow are offset because, or should be forgiven because, Mobile Fidelity profited from the business of re-mastering, pressing and selling LPs to consumers through the 1980s to the present day (Jonathan: “MoFi spent decades keeping the LP alive and kicking — releasing many, many sonic triumphs over that span . . . it would be worse than ungrateful of audiophiles not to show some charity here.”). I don’t think this proposed equation nets out to inculpability.

Jonathan appears not to consider that if consumers had known the truth about the digital step, then perhaps Mobile Fidelity would not have been as successful in business for decades selling its records and “keeping the LP alive.” I am not sure Jonathan should encourage Jim Davis to break his arm patting himself on the back for building a business, and even for helping to sustain an industry, based on a misrepresentation.

Is Jonathan suggesting that the end of keeping consumers buying records through the dark days of digital justified the means of the misrepresentation to sell re-issues? Numerous other companies were manufacturing and selling re-issues during the years in which Mobile Fidelity was selling its digital step vinyl records.

I see the misrepresentation issue as completely separate from the issue of “keeping the LP alive,” and as completely separate from the issue of the sound quality of Mobile Fidelity’s digital step vinyl records. I think that the former issue should not be conflated with, or means/ends justified by or excused by, either of the latter issues.

I give Jonathan credit for making the same point I made upon reading Jim Davis’ answers to Jonathan and Robert’s written questions: “If MoFi is as convinced of the sonic superiority of digital duplication and mastering as Jim Davis claims it is . . ., why conceal the fact?”

AD4C9C54-D672-4651-A345-B4B0C4F73A50.jpeg

Last edited:

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
It seems TAS are certainly taking “sides’ in this debacle
Harley's Proof Is In The Pudding article aligns with the MoFi narrative and from my view, Valin's "show some charity " theme . An extract from it"

"Although MoFi has never expressly stated that it cuts its lacquers from analog tape, it was generally assumed that the company's "Original Master Recordings" were all analog. ...... Some One-Step purchasers are dismayed to learn of the digital conversion , with some commentators suggesting that the One- Step are nothing more than overpriced DSD files .... Although MoFi should have been more transparent about the provenance of its sources, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. The Mofi albums and One Step LPs that I own sound spectacularly great. ..... I would not hesitate to buy MoFi's titles in the future given the company's track record of making great sounding LPs. "

The entire article waxes in support of Mofi . Then again, TAS didn't serve-up the hard questions in its exclusive interview so why would the editorial or article have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire and bonzo75

dbdigital57

Aug 26, 2022
I don’t understand why Jonathan attempts to create a balancing equation such that the apparently knowingly misleading statements by Mobile Fidelity (Jonathan: “Indeed, Mobile Fidelity‘s publicity has, I think, deliberately left the impression that everything is accomplished in the analog domain.” “Anyway you look at it, this was not full disclosure.“) somehow are offset because, or should be forgiven because, Mobile Fidelity profited from the business of re-mastering, pressing and selling LPs to consumers through the 1980s to the present day (Jonathan: “MoFi spent decades keeping the LP alive and kicking — releasing many, many sonic triumphs over that span . . . it would be worse than ungrateful of audiophiles not to show some charity here.”). I don’t think this proposed equation nets out to inculpability.

Jonathan appears not to consider that if consumers had known the truth about the digital step, then perhaps Mobile Fidelity would not have been as successful in business for decades selling its records and “keeping the LP alive.” I am not sure Jonathan should encourage Jim Davis to break his arm patting himself on the back for building a business, and even for helping to sustain an industry, based on a misrepresentation.

Is Jonathan suggesting that the end of keeping consumers buying records through the dark days of digital justified the means of the misrepresentation to sell re-issues? Numerous other companies were manufacturing and selling re-issues during the years in which Mobile Fidelity was selling its digital step vinyl records.

I see the misrepresentation issue as completely separate from the issue of “keeping the LP alive,” and as completely separate from the issue of the sound quality of Mobile Fidelity’s digital step vinyl records. I think that the former issue should not be conflated with, or means/ends justified by or excused by, either of the latter issues.

I give Jonathan credit for making the same point I made upon reading Jim Davis’ answers to Jonathan and Robert’s written questions: “If MoFi is as convinced of the sonic superiority of digital duplication and mastering as Jim Davis claims it is . . ., why conceal the fact?”

View attachment 97916
Excellent perspective. I reached out to both Mr. Valin and Mr. Harley to have a discussion about their Oct 2022 issue writings on my YouTube Channel. Mr. Harley declined for them both.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Excellent perspective. I reached out to both Mr. Valin and Mr. Harley to have a discussion about their Oct 2022 issue writings on my YouTube Channel. Mr. Harley declined for them both.
One less magazine to read.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Have you noticed whenever the Miller (which is me) has spoken the thread dies or ends. So if anyone wants a thread to end let me know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing