Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please enjoy my interview with Michael Hobson, Founder of Classic Records, on October 14, 2022.

Please subscribe to the What's Best Forum channel on YouTube.

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Thanks Ron for another very interesting interview. Speaks highly of Michael that he manages to take balanced and considered views on so many aspects of audiophilia and the industry while still remaining passionate. He did avoid controversies, but I would have done the same.

Reactions: ddk

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Excellent!!!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Still have the Ayre equipment he sold my dad. His place on Duane St was an amazing experience.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Interesting! Thanks

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind words!

We had a fun time making this video! I appreciated Michael’s thoughtful and measured answers. I, personally, love hearing the behind-the-scenes histories and anecdotes of the Classic Records re-issue projects.

Michael was incredibly gracious, and, after the interview, he treated us and his delightful girlfriend (a professional singer and actress) to a home-cooked gourmet meal complete with wine pairing. Then Michael curated and DJed a very thoughtful music listening program for us. We really had a wonderful evening with Michael!

Tinka told Michael that he “set a high standard for fun evenings with audiophiles!”

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great Ron. People should learn from you how to make a video with good sound quality, easily understood listening at low level. But is it my headphones or the left and right channel are reversed in the recording?

Curiously he dared to say the outcast words in this hobby about the controversial subject "Ask people blindly" !

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Great Ron. People should learn from you how to make a video with good sound quality, easily understood listening at low level. But is it my headphones or the left and right channel are reversed in the recording?

The Sennheiser wireless receivers + lapel mics I am using are full professional quality. I am very happy with them. The 4K video camera we are using also is professional quality (just above “pro-sumer”), with built-in stereo XLR inputs. (I am a huge believer in the philosophy that “the right tools make the job much easier.”)

Eeesh! Every video we learn something new. My Sennheiser wireless mic used input 1. If input 1 is “left” then, yes, in the future, I have to be sensitive to putting the mic of the person sitting on the left in input 1. Sorry about that!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and rando

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Eeesh! My Sennheiser wireless mic used input 1. If input 1 is “left” then, yes, in the future, I have to be sensitive to putting the mic of the person sitting on the left in input 1. Sorry about that!

Yes, usually left is channel 1 in many pro devices. I always must remember it with sound analyzers - they just label 1 and 2, but the software shows 1 as Left!

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Curiously he dared to say the outcast words in this hobby about the controversial subject "Ask people blindly" !

I found Michael to be very candid and forthcoming, which, of course, I totally appreciated. In this video I broke my self-imposed guideline about a video not running longer than about 20 minutes.

But Michael’s experiences and stories from all of his remastering adventures — his experiences dealing with the labels from which he licensed the titles; his experiences with Bernie Grundman Mastering; his experiences with remastering each of the individual analog master tapes; his experiences with different vinyl weights and formulations; anecdotes about different albums and musicians — are valuable historical pieces of information which only Michael knows and only Michael can share. I feel like a video like this plays a small part in preserving the archive of information we have about many of the albums we love and how they are being preserved. So I did not cut a second of the continuous recording of the interview.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Ron (Tinka, as well any others who contributed), please consider suggestion to remove your first video upload of T.H.E Show 2021 from sight.

It detracts from the rare achievements present in this latest interview that have slowly built into what is now assured.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
A very interesting video, thank you Ron for bringing this up.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Nicely done Ron. I really enjoyed it.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Excellent interview with Mike! When you are properly seated, please read this:

Thank you very much, Michael!

Thank you, also, for posting the link to the Gregg Schnitzer interview. It was amazing to read about -- and to see preserved -- all of that technical detail and interpersonal detail about early MFSL history!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Excellent interview, Ron. You unearth many things regarding vinyl record making, tape sources, and the stories about LSC-1806 with HP that Hopson has never mentioned before.

Is there going to be a part II?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing