Behind The Candelabra

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this yesterday on HBO and simply put this is a must see

Michael Douglas plays the flamboyant Liberace in his later years and his relationship with his live in lover Scott Thorson (film is based on the autobiography by Thorson) played by Matt Damon

Incredible cast of characters such as Dan Akroyd playing Liberace's agent and Debbi Reynolds playing Liberace's mother

To say that Michael Douglas nails this role is an understatement. If he doesn't deserve an Emmy nomination let alone win it hands down is an understatement as he was that good. The uncanny likeness of Douglas to Liberace in this role made it so much more believable as well as his hand gestures, costumes and manner of talking. To see the expression on Scott Thorson's face when he walked in Liberace's bathroom to see Liberace without his wig was amazing as was the final scenes as we see him trying to make amends with Scott Thorson from his death bed with his body wasting from the effects of AIDS.

This story had me for the entire 121 minutes as well as sitting through the entire 5 minutes of rolling credits as it was just that excellent. I recall seeing him as a regular on the Ed Sullivan Show as well as his own TV show in the 50's and 60's but this story takes place from 1977-1987. Suffice it to say, Liberace lived on the fringe, being a closeted gay performer that the whole world knew about but was never sure until the Riverside County coroner rejected the death certificate using cardiac failure as cause of death and changing it to complications of pneumonia from the AIDS virus. There were scenes in the film that clearly made him out to be a philanderizing individual with multiple lovers who frequented peep shows off the strip in Las Vegas

This movie is an absolute must see

4 Stars and a huge "thumb's up" rating

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I saw this yesterday on HBO and simply put this is a must see

Michael Douglas plays the flamboyant Liberace in his later years and his relationship with his live in lover Scott Thorson (film is based on the autobiography by Thorson) played by Matt Damon

Incredible cast of characters such as Dan Akroyd playing Liberace's agent and Debbi Reynolds playing Liberace's mother

To say that Michael Douglas nails this role is an understatement. If he doesn't deserve an Emmy nomination let alone win it hands down is an understatement as he was that good. The uncanny likeness of Douglas to Liberace in this role made it so much more believable as well as his hand gestures, costumes and manner of talking. To see the expression on Scott Thorson's face when he walked in Liberace's bathroom to see Liberace without his wig was amazing as was the final scenes as we see him trying to make amends with Scott Thorson from his death bed with his body wasting from the effects of AIDS.

This story had me for the entire 121 minutes as well as sitting through the entire 5 minutes of rolling credits as it was just that excellent. I recall seeing him as a regular on the Ed Sullivan Show as well as his own TV show in the 50's and 60's but this story takes place from 1977-1987. Suffice it to say, Liberace lived on the fringe, being a closeted gay performer that the whole world knew about but was never sure until the Riverside County coroner rejected the death certificate using cardiac failure as cause of death and changing it to complications of pneumonia from the AIDS virus. There were scenes in the film that clearly made him out to be a philanderizing individual with multiple lovers who frequented peep shows off the strip in Las Vegas

This movie is an absolute must see

4 Stars and a huge "thumb's up" rating

Steve you are spot on. The performances were beyond reproach. Simply 4 stars all around.

I did not know what to expect, but this is just superb movie making.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Until I watched it a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea he was the highest paid performer in the World during the '50's and '60's.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Indeed he was and all of that jewelry was very real. I wondered if the house in which the movie was made was the real home in which he lived based on the furniture and multitude of piano statues

I remember my mother enjoying his TV show whereas my father gave up in exasperation

BTW, putting aside his hidden sexuality as well as all of the flamboyance he was a wonderful pianist

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing