He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Although I had spent lot of time and money on audio hobby, I had not neglected relation with my three children.

I had traveled more than 10 K miles with them in US.

Also I had family trip to Europe and Mexico.

Thus they understand my audio hobby.

All of my three children enjoy playing musical instrment, my son playing drum.

Also one of my son in law working in Korea is an avid audiophile although not serious as me.

He is anxious to listen to my system someday.

He may take over my system after I pass away.

But I am in good health and thus expect to live another 30 years as I am only 64 years young. ;)

I was really sorry to know all the behind stories behind Ken.

As I enjoy line array speaker, I wish to have kept his system intact.

I visited Richmond, VA just once in my life.

Although it is a quiet town, I may not want to move there to keep his system intact..

I do not like hot and humid weather on the east coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee and mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my kids were out of the house when I started down the audiophile system building path.
that’s one way to do it. Marry early, procreate, get those responsibilities out, then go full OCD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
that’s one way to do it. Marry early, procreate, get those responsibilities out, then go full OCD
Good luck Ked with all those women freezing their eggs. More like, get you system done by your late 30s, marry in your late 40s, have your children in your late 50s and 60s. By the time they're in their 30s, you'll have popped your clogs, and they'll have already made system and LP collection. Simples!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good luck Ked with all those women freezing their eggs. More like, get you system done by your late 30s, marry in your late 40s, have your children in your late 50s and 60s. By the time they're in their 30s, you'll have popped your clogs, and they'll have already made system and LP collection. Simples!

i wonder what kind of audio system Pacino and Deniro have then

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
i wonder what kind of audio system Pacino and Deniro have then
Ah, now you gotta take account of the divorce lawyers fees. From what I gather, DeNiro doesn't have two cents to rub together, despite the massive fee he commanded for Dirty Grandpa.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Haha Mike, my wife is prone to panic attacks thinking what to do with my gear and LPs etc when I croak. I tell her to relax, I'm gonna live forever.

I tell my wife that maybe she’ll be lucky and die first. :eek:

Seriously, if it all went to the curb, it would not impact her quality of life going forward were she a widow

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
A truly heart breaking story from either perspective. The loss the kids and wife seemed to have felt as well as the man himself who lost out on what joy and happiness comes from a beautiful relationship with your SO and kids. So glad I have an acceptable audio system and a fabulous relationship with my family.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
By no means do I have a system of this stature, however my kids get my gear and they have it all worked out.
That's great.

For me, the system will accompany me into the pyramid. No reason not to have it when I get to the afterlife.

Republicoftexas69

That's great.

For me, the system will accompany me into the pyramid. No reason not to have it when I get to the afterlife.
But if it accompanies you int the pyramid it will be with you in the AL. That was the Pharos belief.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
The article really has nothing to do with being an audiophile, and all to do with the particular characters involved in the story. The cautionary tale could apply to any obsession or life focus, boats, cars, art, watches, photography, or things like mountain climbing, iron man competitions, skiing, running, weight lifting, or someone's excessive devotion to their work.

..and so what if he spent $1M on his system?

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
But if it accompanies you int the pyramid it will be with you in the AL. That was the Pharos belief.
exactly. But I have not yet broached the subject with my wife and cat. The pharaohs brought those along too!

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
..and so what if he spent $1M on his system?
That is the clickbait.

And perhaps a good way to explain to a spouse why one's current expenses are reasonable. Haven't tried that rationale yet.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
...oh, I have! It *almost* works.
makes me think there might be a (small) market for a reality TV show based upon stuff audiophiles have told their spouses/SOs. Not sure what it should be called...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
makes me think there might be a (small) market for a reality TV show based upon stuff audiophiles have told their spouses/SOs. Not sure what it should be called...
Liar's Dice.

• Haha
Reactions: PYP

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
This to me was a sad story... putting audio bove family. When I sometimes find myself isolating myself to music with the awesome system, I self remind myself to go spend some time with wife and kid. I can relate to fritz as a fellow audio geek for constant tweaking and improvements being part of the fun but this story to me was a reminder to self reflect.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Growing up, my best friend (who was wise beyond his years) used to say “everything in moderation Dave”. For some reason those words have stuck with me for decades. They sit on my shoulder and whisper into my ear when I get too engrossed in anything. I have several hobbies/sports I’m passionate about, which also helps bring balance to this hobby. My wife would say I still spend too much time on audio, but I listen two hours a night, five days a week - less than many people watch tv, which I don’t do.

Waking your kid up at 6 am to work on your listening room, then denying him the joys of using it, is madness on a King Lear scale.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
My late wife and I had a compromise. She was a pet lover. For every woofer I got she got one, dog. Ended up with 4 dogs 2 cats an iguana and a parrot! My kids loved the zoo and the music.

Rob :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My 16 yr old son is into it. He listens with me often. He also wants a system of his own but then if you have the keys and are allowed to drive then you won't be rushing Dad for it. I told him that I have all the gear of both his grand dads. That's good ^%$# I curated both of them myself! LOL The funny part is that asked if he could get a commission should he be able to sell stuff to the Dads of his friends. Hahahaha. I don't think I have to worry about this guy ever going hungry. I of course said yes.

Only conditions I set are no girls with him in the basement lest Mom go ballistic and digital only for now.

• Haha
Reactions: PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing