spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Part of Bernstein was embarrassed by West Side Story, because he knew he would be remembered more for this commercial piece than for his serious music. Why did they feature Mahler, particularly M2? It was because Bernstein identified completely with Mahler as an extremely anguished and tormented man whose life was an utter clusterfk which Bernstein related to very strongly. Recall the other name of M2 which is “the Resurrection” which helps us understand its importance in Bernstein’s life. The movie also featured the Adagietto from M5 (which many composers consider some of the most beautiful music, ever written.) its notable that Bernstein chose to be buried with the score of M5 in the Greenwood cemetary in Queens, New York.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
An art movie that wasn't about art.

To be honest, I enjoyed Maestro precisely because I knew nothing about Felicia or her relationship with Lenny. ... So for me, the insight into his marriage was well worth the viewing.

Given your familiarity with Bernstein I can understand that. Perhaps the movie could be titled 'The Maestro's Wife'. For me it was an opportunity missed. I fear this movie reduces the liklihood we will see a movie about Bernstein the conductor.

I've listened to Bernstein's lectures for years and as far as I know he never displayed the nasal voice that Cooper portrayed in his character. Was it the prosthetics? Don't know but it was an embarrassing effort to replicate how Bernstein really spoke.

The actor's voice in the movie rubbed me the wrong way as it seemed put on or contrived. Then I read that Cooper had special nose plugs made to create his voice for the movie.

It sounded little like the voice I've heard in recordings of Bernstein.

Reactions: Chop and marty

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Who but Bernstein ever did anything like the young peoples concerts that you have shown here? He introduced thousands of children to classical music in a way that nobody has done since. They were some of my earliest memories of being exposed to classical music. He was a terrific educator. I mean how the hell can you explain Mahler to a 10-year-old? It’s hard enough trying to do that to a 40 or 50-year-old! Kudos, Lenny!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Who but Bernstein ever did anything like the young peoples concerts that you have shown here? He introduced thousands of children to classical music in a way that nobody has done since. They were some of my earliest memories of being exposed to classical music. He was a terrific educator. I mean how the hell can you explain Mahler to a 10-year-old? It’s hard enough trying to do that to a 40 or 50-year-old! Kudos, Lenny!

Yes, I agree. And it is wonderful that we have some of that preserved to view. The audience of kids singing Frere Jacques is charming. There was a time when classical music was promoted and even elementary schools had 'band' with lessons and instruments. I can think of a few efforts in the past such as Britten's 'Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra', whereas Bernstein talked about instruments and music in a relatable and appealing way to all audiences.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
We had to turn the subtitles on when we watched Maestro last night. Read into that what you wish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing