ZYX UNIverse Premium versus UNIverse Optimum

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anybody recently compared the ZYX UNIverse Premium with the newer ZYX UNIverse Optimum?

ZYX UNIverse Premium uses a boron cantilever whereas ZYX UNIverse Optimum uses a carbon fiber cantilever.

Tango reported a few years ago that the Premium was more lively than the Optimum, and the Optimum was more "midhall" than the Premium. His report was inconsistent with most reviewers who report that the Optimum is more lively than the Premium and the premium is slightly more midrange centric than the Optimum.

So as is often the case in this hobby . . . clear as mud.

Does anyone have any recent comparison experience.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Has anybody recently compared the ZYX UNIverse Premium with the newer ZYX UNIverse Optimum?

ZYX UNIverse Premium uses a boron cantilever whereas ZYX UNIverse Optimum uses a carbon fiber cantilever.

Tango reported a few years ago that the Premium was more lively than the Optimum, and the Optimum was more "midhall" than the Premium. His report was inconsistent with most reviewers who report that the Optimum is more lively than the Premium and the premium is slightly more midrange centric than the Optimum.

So as is often the case in this hobby . . . clear as mud.

Does anyone have any recent comparison experience.
I haven't made a side by side comparison but I heard most of ZYX cartridges and used a couple. IMHO/IME Tango is right, I always felt that carbon cantilever gives a darker character to cartridge compared to boron. I would go with boron cantilever or totally skip ZYX.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven't made a side by side comparison but I heard most of ZYX cartridges and used a couple. IMHO/IME Tango is right, I always felt that carbon cantilever gives a darker character to cartridge compared to boron. I would go with boron cantilever or totally skip ZYX.

I would skip zyx because too many reports of breakage and fragility, and the retip/rebuild cost is stupidly high

Reactions: dan31 and mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked Tang, specifically for Ron’s midrange vocal tastes, what he would pick. He said “The optimum sounded unreal to me. I would pick the Premium.”

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I asked Tang, specifically for Ron’s midrange vocal tastes, what he would pick. He said “The optimum sounded unreal to me. I would pick the Premium.”
Thank you very much Kedar!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for weighing in, mtemur!

Reactions: mtemur

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would skip zyx because too many reports of breakage and fragility, and the retip/rebuild cost is stupidly high
I've had the Premium for years and never had an issue with it. It has beautiful sound to my ears. Ive never heard the Optimum

Reactions: amadeus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've had the Premium for years and never had an issue with it. It has beautiful sound to my ears. Ive never heard the Optimum

Nothing against the sound. Tang broke 3 or 4, and many reports on the Gon. Either way, no point getting a cart that doesn’t retip at low prices, there are enough good sounding carts around. Zyx would have to be significantly better than others to demand that rebuild premium, and it is not

Steve Williams

Like I said Ive never had a problem. I do remember Tang breaking many things and throwing them out. Different strokes for different folks. I have had mine since the day it was released and not once have I had a problem. Some would proffer that heavy handedness is often a factor

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Like I said Ive never had a problem. I do remember Tang breaking many things and throwing them out. Different strokes for different folks. I have had mine since the day it was released and not once have I had a problem. Some would proffer that heavy handedness is often a factor

he didn’t break other carts, and for other buyers if vdh, Dava or red sparrow does, retip is inexpensive. Plus they are better in sound

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I was a little disappointed with the newer Zyx. Doesn't play as perfectly as before. To me, it no longer sounds homogeneous. For me, it's one of the best analogue combinations on the planet.Zyx Universe/TW 10.5

Zyx Universe 0011.JPG

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

some people have different tastes than you so I could say the same
I was a little disappointed with the newer Zyx. Doesn't play as perfectly as before. To me, it no longer sounds homogeneous. For me, it's one of the best analogue combinations on the planet.Zyx Universe/TW 10.5

View attachment 117774
The point IMO is we all have different opinions about the same gear but I tire of someone continuing to espouse his opinion as being gospel. I love the sound of mine and have had it since day of release and it has performed flawlessly

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The point IMO is we all have different opinions about the same gear but I tire of someone continuing to espouse his opinion as being gospel. I love the sound of mine and have had it since day of release and it has performed flawlessly
Congrats, have fun...
I don't want to proselytize anyone. In a direct comparison, I like the old one better.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I used with my Durand Tosca the Optimum X and whit no problems very much, i moved to the Zyx Astro Ex.

Now that I have been using the Zyx Astro Ex for the past 4 months, in fact it is a big step forward from the already magnificent Zyx Optimum.

The Zyx Astro Ex is the most refined cartridge I've used, it doesn't have the woww in your face kind of expressive and extroverted sound of let's say Lyra Atlas Lamda (one of my top Cartridges ), nor does it have the Muddy romantic Dark presentation of Koetsu Rosewood or the all-round skills of Murasakino Sumile, which is a bit Lyra Atlas Lamda, a bit Koetsu Coralstone and a bit MSL Platinum Signature... Zyx Astro Ex is the most out of nowhere sudden sound of all, and it has the most black and i mean real black (!) background, it is more refinement of micro details than expressiveness of macro details, the suddenly appearance , micro refinement and beutifull natural timbre is addictive.

Of course there is no one and only cartridge that sounds better with every pressing, but 4 out of 10 records sound clearly more refined, open and moving on Zyx Astro Ex than on any of my other cartridges and considering the strong competition from several top cartridges, 4 out of 10 is very high!

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing