J.R. Boisclair / WAM Engineering Cartridge Analysis Service

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Quick question for the cartridge set-up experts. If I used a Smartractor to ensure proper cartridge alignment, do I need to re-check alignment after the initial 50 hour cartridge break in period? I am aware of VTF and VTA needing to be re-checked, just not sure about the alignment? Thanks for the advice.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Quick question for the cartridge set-up experts. If I used a Smartractor to ensure proper cartridge alignment, do I need to re-check alignment after the initial 50 hour cartridge break in period? I am aware of VTF and VTA needing to be re-checked, just not sure about the alignment? Thanks for the advice.
it’s good to check but not mandatory as long as your tonearm and cartridge don’t alter settings.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
it’s good to check but not mandatory as long as your tonearm and cartridge don’t alter settings.
Great. Thanks for the advice.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
You may want to recheck overhang after the cartridge suspension has settled.

Agree with all comments along the lines of shims being derived out of context being of little utility.

Horses for courses.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
My thoughts on this might surprise some but my answer is generally not to bother at all unless you have one of the pivoted tangential trackers that are VERY loose in the fore-aft direction (I am referring to pistonic action of the arm wand along its axis). Other than those cases, the mathematics just don’t support the effort of chasing the tiny changes in overhang due to suspension settling.

Using dynamic and static testing on the lab bench, one of our engineers determined that my cantilever alignment accuracy is comfortably +/-0.5°. I can’t be sure of getting any more accurate than this on my best day, with the best illumination and the most exposed cantilever. On average, a 0.1 mm drop in cartridge height due to suspension settling will result in a 1° change in cantilever angle. While I am not saying this is impossible, I have yet to see this amount of a drop that has not been due to damage to the cartridge. However, for the sake of this argument let’s just pretend the cartridge has dropped to 0.2 mm and the cantilever angle is ridiculously high at a 45° angle which would mean that the overhang would’ve also changed by 0.2 mm. (BTW: I have seen a 40° VTA before! Instead of returning it to the factory, I wish I would’ve kept it to measure the distortions it causes. VTA is not as important as SRA but it becomes very important on vertical modulations.)

So what does 0.2mm change in overhang result in? This is easily calculable, but I’m going to give you figures by memory so forgive me if they are slightly wrong. At the inner null the angular error that would’ve been introduced is 0.17° and at the outer null area is only 0.09°.

Remember, my cantilever alignment accuracy is only +/-0.5°, so it doesn’t make sense for me to try to correct this as, statistically speaking, I could possibly even make it worse!

The stacked tolerance errors inherent to alignment protractors such as yours that use multiple parts fastened together to assure the geometrical relationship between the pivot point, the spindle and the stylus are far more likely to be greater than the change in angular error resulting from a suspension having settled after break in.

Last edited:

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Thank you very much for the detailed and thoughtful response. I’m breaking in a Dynavector XV1s and they are rather sensitive to proper set up as I’m sure you know.

bfisher690

May 15, 2023
Howdy all. I’d like to revive this thread. Without going into painful detail, I’d like to simply say that JR and his studies have changed my audio life. This industry is full of snake oil, wasted money and, in some cases, neglect that borders on fraud. I hate to say that, but I’ve experienced all of the above more than once ; )

And, of course, there are wonderful people who are as curious, as we all are, and have dedicated themselves to furthering this hobby and helping us to achieve the sound we love (and pay for).

JR spent hours on the phone with me before I spent a dime on any of his products. Our discussions allowed me to diagnose a faulty (rather pricy) tone arm and the issues it caused to my beautiful Lyra etna. Michael Fremer even chronicled these trials and tribulations in an article. Both these guys have been true journalists and have weathered the storms that ensue when you call out issues and practices that plague this industry and its products.

So, this time I did something smart. I ordered the Lyra etna lamda and sent it straight to JR. Within a week I had it back and Michael Fremer installed it incredibly quickly. I’ve never had better sound. And, I have a vetted cartridge. Zenith error corrected. Azimuth set. Vta perfect. What more could I ask for? And my arm is behaving properly.

This is an unsolicited post. I just felt it necessary to give my experience. I’m a teacher and this is my lifelong passion outside of school. I have no business spending this kind of money on hifi. But JR has actually delivered on the promise of the gear that I have bought.

listening to records fully transports me now. I’m beyond grateful for him and Mike.

i can’t recommend his set up products or cart service enough. And he’ll be able to tell you if you have a good one through science and not marketing ; )

Brian

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Howdy all. I’d like to revive this thread. Without going into painful detail, I’d like to simply say that JR and his studies have changed my audio life. This industry is full of snake oil, wasted money and, in some cases, neglect that borders on fraud. I hate to say that, but I’ve experienced all of the above more than once ; )

And, of course, there are wonderful people who are as curious, as we all are, and have dedicated themselves to furthering this hobby and helping us to achieve the sound we love (and pay for).

JR spent hours on the phone with me before I spent a dime on any of his products. Our discussions allowed me to diagnose a faulty (rather pricy) tone arm and the issues it caused to my beautiful Lyra etna. Michael Fremer even chronicled these trials and tribulations in an article. Both these guys have been true journalists and have weathered the storms that ensue when you call out issues and practices that plague this industry and its products.

So, this time I did something smart. I ordered the Lyra etna lamda and sent it straight to JR. Within a week I had it back and Michael Fremer installed it incredibly quickly. I’ve never had better sound. And, I have a vetted cartridge. Zenith error corrected. Azimuth set. Vta perfect. What more could I ask for? And my arm is behaving properly.

This is an unsolicited post. I just felt it necessary to give my experience. I’m a teacher and this is my lifelong passion outside of school. I have no business spending this kind of money on hifi. But JR has actually delivered on the promise of the gear that I have bought.

listening to records fully transports me now. I’m beyond grateful for him and Mike.

i can’t recommend his set up products or cart service enough. And he’ll be able to tell you if you have a good one through science and not marketing ; )

Brian
I truly appreciate your insight on personal experiences of this service and tool set and its possible benefits. It is something I’ve been trying to weigh the value/price consideration of. Perhaps my concern yet is, just how, and what is necessary to then take the written evaluation and the shim(s), and get mounted to the chosen tonearm/headshell with considerable accuracy to not diminish the value of these extremely precise measurements, and why I express (possible) benefits… I’ve mounted a lot of phono cartridges in my life. It’s somewhat an arduous task each and every time. And needless to say, my eyes are not getting any better. So obviously, tools to assist this process are imperative. Perhaps J.R. can help by offering what is likely necessary.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I truly appreciate your insight on personal experiences of this service and tool set and its possible benefits. It is something I’ve been trying to weigh the value/price consideration of. Perhaps my concern yet is, just how, and what is necessary to then take the written evaluation and the shim(s), and get mounted to the chosen tonearm/headshell with considerable accuracy to not diminish the value of these extremely precise measurements, and why I express (possible) benefits… I’ve mounted a lot of phono cartridges in my life. It’s somewhat an arduous task each and every time. And needless to say, my eyes are not getting any better. So obviously, tools to assist this process are imperative. Perhaps J.R. can help by offering what is likely necessary.
Hello @DetroitVinylRob

You can see the installation process on the video on this webpage: https://www.wallyanalog.com/stylus-cantilever-microscopic-analy

If you have a Kuzma arm with a removable headshell, the process is even easier. See here: https://www.wallyanalog.com/kuzma-tonearm-pre-mount-service

Feel free to reach out to me directly via the website if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
J.R.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing