ZYX Universe Premium "The Bad Boy Opus"

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I had many episodes of ZYX I thought it was not destined to be mine. I bought this cart from ddk. First time he sent it to me. It arrived, I opened the box but there was not any cart in it. I called David he told me not to loose sleep over it. S@#t happens. He would take care of it. (Really a freakin $15,000 cart!? and s@#t happens?! :eek:) He sent me again. This time I got to mount it on the SAT. It skated all over the place and the stylus tip was so sharp it scraped off surface two of my vinyls. I had a damaged catridge. I called David again. David talked to Sora Sound and Sora Sound sent me a new one before I even sent the damaged one back. Now I have been listening and tuning this cart for six days 7 hours a day without switching.

The ZYX I have is the Universe Premium X/SB2. It is on the AS2000/SME next to Opus and Master Signature. When Bonzo was here the tracking force was at 2.0 gram. I changed to 1.9 and readjust the vta. The sound improvement is as big as what Bonzo heard with my other carts after being optimized. (Sorry Bonzo you didnt get to hear its true nature.)

Any way. This cart sounds like a Bad Boy Opus1. Bonzo was accurate describing the tone of ZYX that it is larger and a cousin to Opus when he listened. Right now the tone is a little more dense and flesh out. A little more vivid. If you know snooker, I can make analogy of ZYX vs. OPus1 as Jimmy White vs. Steve Davis. May be the VdH is Ronnie O'Sullavan. I am sure the Brits would understand. :D

I compare Opus to ZYX because these two have many characters that are much closer together than the very different presentation of VdH and AtlasSL. The ZYX is a bod boy because it plays more aggressively. It is not difficult to hear this in my system playing Belanger & Bisson' Conversation.

C09FC419-6EB4-4108-9F0C-B3E483143A89.jpeg

The vocal and key notes of instruments play more distinct than the Opus. Bisson sound is more spotlighted. With a more vivid fresh out tone I sense the aggressiveness of this cart. The Opus seems more gentle playing next to it. Once again it made me think that ddk likes flesh out babe sound. He rated Vdh #1. ZYX and Opus about the same but ZYX a hair ahead. I like to listen to cello and piano. On cello I could hear Belanger string plug more distinct from ZYX. The attack is so good with the ZYX. But this more distinct notes come at a small expense of the nuances of vibration of strings and the woody body sound of the cello. Piano strikes of the ZYX are also more distinct than from the Opus. Opus's piano always sound more resolute and presenting piano more as a whole three dimensional than any other cart. The sound of a strike blends more with nuances and resonating sound inside the piano housing. I think a piano expert could identify the brand of piano better hearing it from Opus. This is not to say the ZYX is not excellent in nuances. But the Opus just tops them all in this aspect. Overall dynamic, the ZYX is better. Micro dynamic the Opus is better. Size of stage is the same but sound image of Opus is a tad smaller. You can hear through space between instruments in Opus a little more and I hear Opus a little deeper. The sound in the back layer of ZYX is also more distinct maybe this give me a sense that the Opus sounds a bit deeper. Both once optimized can do outstanding fool you real kind of listening. But Overall the ZYX sounds a bit more exciting.

The above is what I think of a Bad Boy Opus. And I am glad it is destined to be mine.

10AE39D4-C969-4BDA-B96B-141842DBF007.jpeg

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
NIce post, Tang. The ZYX model designations are a bit confusing to me, but I think I had this cartridge in my system for a week or so, borrowed from my friend Madfloyd. Compared to my MSL Sig Gold, it did not have quite the nuance and dynamics, but it really excelled in a big, 3D palpable sense of presence. It was reach out and touch realistic. I felt it was just a bit warm and tilted on the dark side of neutral.

I like the photograph at bottom. For the first time I now understand that upper platter layer and how it is smaller in diameter than the record itself to facilitate easy removal of the LP while it is still spinning. I see no hint of the leather mat, so that must be still smaller in diameter.

Have you ever tried the SME headshell without the finger lift? Just curious. I've never installed the finger lift on my SME V for perhaps what is an irrational concern for vibration at such a sensitive location.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
NIce post, Tang. The ZYX model designations are a bit confusing to me, but I think I had this cartridge in my system for a week or so, borrowed from my friend Madfloyd. Compared to my MSL Sig Gold, it did not have quite the nuance and dynamics, but it really excelled in a big, 3D palpable sense of presence. It was reach out and touch realistic. I felt it was just a bit warm and tilted on the dark side of neutral.

That's how ZYX and frankly most cartridges sound when not set up properly. The ZYX carts are very sensitive to VTA/SRA adjustments and will sound a little soft and dark as you described when the VTA/SRA is off. I've heard MSL several times all things being right the ZYX is in a very different class.

david

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I do think there are similarities between the Opus and Zyx. I will never know if I had the Zyx properly setup (I frankly doubt it considering the trickiness of the Black Beauty tonearm) but I did find it heavy sounding and somewhat slow, but it had a glorious midrange.

That said, apart from curiosity, I'm not sad I sold mine (although at $5k it was a big loss!) and I'm not a huge fan of the Opus1 - at least not compared to the Atlas. I'd love to try a vdh one day.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had many episodes of ZYX I thought it was not destined to be mine. I bought this cart from ddk. First time he sent it to me. It arrived, I opened the box but there was not any cart in it. I called David he told me not to loose sleep over it. S@#t happens. He would take care of it. (Really a freakin $15,000 cart!? and s@#t happens?! :eek:) He sent me again. This time I got to mount it on the SAT. It skated all over the place and the stylus tip was so sharp it scraped off surface two of my vinyls. I had a damaged catridge. I called David again. David talked to Sora Sound and Sora Sound sent me a new one before I even sent the damaged one back. Now I have been listening and tuning this cart for six days 7 hours a day without switching.

The ZYX I have is the Universe Premium X/SB2. It is on the AS2000/SME next to Opus and Master Signature. When Bonzo was here the tracking force was at 2.0 gram. I changed to 1.9 and readjust the vta. The sound improvement is as big as what Bonzo heard with my other carts after being optimized. (Sorry Bonzo you didnt get to hear its true nature.)

Any way. This cart sounds like a Bad Boy Opus1. Bonzo was accurate describing the tone of ZYX that it is a bit larger and a cousin to Opus when he listened. Right now the tone is a little more dense and flesh out. A little more vivid. If you know snooker, I can make analogy of ZYX vs. OPus1 as Jimmy White vs. Steve Davis. May be the VdH is Ronnie O'Sullavan. I am sure the Brits would understand. :D

I compare Opus to ZYX because these two have many characters that are much closer together than the very different presentation of VdH and AtlasSL. The ZYX is a bod boy because it plays more aggressively. It is not difficult to hear this in my system playing Belanger & Bisson' Conversation.

View attachment 44136

The vocal and key notes of instruments play more distinct than the Opus. Bisson sound is more spotlighted. With a more vivid fresh out tone I sense the aggressiveness of this cart. The Opus seems more gentle playing next to it. Once again it made me think that ddk likes flesh out babe sound. He rated Vdh #1. ZYX and Opus about the same but ZYX a hair ahead. I like to listen to cello and piano. On cello I could hear Belanger string plug more distinct from ZYX. The attack is so good with the ZYX. But this more distinct notes come at a small expense of the nuances of vibration of strings and the woody body sound of the cello. Piano strikes of the ZYX are also more distinct than from the Opus. Opus's piano always sound more resolute and presenting piano more as a whole three dimensional than any other cart. The sound of a strike blends more with nuances and resonating sound inside the piano housing. I think a piano expert could identify the brand of piano better hearing it from Opus. This is not to say the ZYX is not excellent in nuances. But the Opus just tops them all in this aspect. Overall dynamic, the ZYX is better. Micro dynamic the Opus is better. Size of stage is the same but sound image of Opus is a tad smaller. You can hear through space between instruments in Opus a little more and I hear Opus a little deeper. The sound in the back layer of ZYX is also more distinct maybe this give me a sense that the Opus sounds a bit deeper. Both once optimized can do outstanding fool you real kind of listening. But Overall the ZYX sounds a bit more exciting.

The above is what I think of a Bad Boy Opus. And I am glad it is destined to be mine.

Thank you for that extremely detailed and illustrated comparison! You do an an amazing job of describing and illustrating subtle sonic differences in English!

I presently have your exact ZYX, but I am considering vdH instead for the 3012R.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's how ZYX and frankly most cartridges sound when not set up properly. The ZYX carts are very sensitive to VTA/SRA adjustments and will sound a little soft and dark as you described when the VTA/SRA is off. I've heard MSL several times all things being right the ZYX is in a very different class.

david

I guess you can assume that I did not know how to set up the ZYX. You are the set up expert. I did have it for a week in my system and I did attempt to set it up over a two day period. I simply preferred my other cartridges. I also preferred Ian's Opus and Atlas SL to his ZYX in his system, and he preferred my Airtight Supreme and MSL Sig Gold to his ZYX in his system. So perhaps, there was something wrong with that sample or the quality control.

I really liked the ZYX midrange and the sense of presence as I said. If it was not set up properly, I guess it would not have sounded excellent in those two areas.

No, I am confident that I explored the set up of that cartridge. I simply did not like the sound as much as my other cartridges. It is my preference, simple as that. Not everyone will agree with you about the ZYX, the 3012R or the other gear that you personally prefer.

When VTA/SRA is off with other cartridges, frankly, most do not sound dark to me. The sound can vary in many ways when the VTA is off. That is your description, not mine. And I never described the ZYX as "soft".

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'd love to try a vdh one day.

If you prefer the MSL to ZYX like Peter said in above post, the Master Sig probably would sound dark and warm to you...unlikely your cup of tea.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you prefer the MSL to ZYX like Peter said in above post, the Master Sig probably would sound dark and warm to you...unlikely your cup of tea.

Kind regards,
Tang

Master Sig warm and dark? :oops:

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I guess you can assume that I did not know how to set up the ZYX. You are the set up expert. I did have it for a week in my system and I did attempt to set it up over a two day period. I simply preferred my other cartridges. I also preferred Ian's Opus and Atlas SL to his ZYX in his system, and he preferred my Airtight Supreme and MSL Sig Gold to his ZYX in his system. So perhaps, there was something wrong with that sample or the quality control.

I really liked the ZYX midrange and the sense of presence as I said. If it was not set up properly, I guess it would not have sounded excellent in those two areas.

No, I am confident that I explored the set up of that cartridge. I simply did not like the sound as much as my other cartridges. It is my preference, simple as that. Not everyone will agree with you about the ZYX, the 3012R or the other gear that you personally prefer.

When VTA/SRA is off with other cartridges, frankly, most do not sound dark to me. The sound can vary in many ways when the VTA is off. That is your description, not mine. And I never described the ZYX as "soft".
The wires got crossed over to preference which I don’t argue about I was replying to your comment on lack of dynamics and nuance is characteristic of wrong VTA setting with the very sensitive ZYX, how many times did you change it during that week?

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Master Sig warm and dark? :oops:

I was extrapolating. To Peter, ZYX sounded warm, dark and less dynamic in comparison to MSL. Both Peter and Ian prefer MSL and Airtight over ZYX. Imo, the vividness in tone and dynamic of ZYX is closer to Master Sig. Master Sig also sounds so different from Airtight as you heard. So I thought it might not be Ian's cup of tea.

I was not saying that the Master Sig was warm and dark.

Tang :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought it was different from airtight but also from zyx. I have heard zyx sounding warm and dark (Though in your system, it is not dark). Zyx and Opus to me are both warmer than Lyra and vdh. And both have less high end extension than Lyra and vdh. Does not mean that they are rolled off. But that is what Peter might be referring to.

I think atlas SL in your system is warmer and with more body than other Lyras I heard, so I understand why Ian and you were discussing the body of the Lyra wrt Opus.

All I now need to do is compare crimson, signature, different bodies like Amber, wood, etc, and I will buy a VDH. Slam dunk.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I was extrapolating. To Peter, ZYX sounded warm, dark and less dynamic in comparison to MSL. Both Peter and Ian prefer MSL and Airtight over ZYX. Imo, the vividness in tone and dynamic of ZYX is closer to Master Sig. Master Sig also sounds so different from Airtight as you heard. So I thought it might not be Ian's cup of tea.

I was not saying that the Master Sig was warm and dark.

Tang :)

@Bonzo. Yes the Master Sig is very different from ZYX. I was refering only to the features highlighted in bold that they sound closer. If you come to listen again you will agree with me. But pls understand that this is just a figure of speech and it is not an invitation :p.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The wires got crossed over to preference which I don’t argue about I was replying to your comment on lack of dynamics and nuance is characteristic of wrong VTA setting with the very sensitive ZYX, how many times did you change it during that week?

david

David, I don't remember how many times I changed arm height during that week. It was about a year ago. However, I do remember listening to a specific recording of strings and harpsichord and trying to dial in SRA after all other parameters were set according to the best of my abilities. Starting from the arm being level, I adjusted up and down in 0.25mm increments +/- for 2mm in either direction to fine tune SRA. That is a big range and a lot of adjustments. You are right, this cartridge is very sensitive to changes in SRA.

At one particular setting, everything locked into place. Focus was great, the sense of energy improved, the room fill and presence were excellent. It was also the SRA where I heard the best dynamics and the most natural tonal balance for this cartridge. It was just not as dynamic as my MSL or as tonally balanced. I don't know what else to say.

Based on the sound of this particular sample of the ZYX, I preferred the more neutral tonal balance, extension, and dynamics of my MSL. The ZYX midrange warmth and 3-D palpability were extraordinary, and perhaps the best I've heard from a cartridge. I told this to Ian. So, that is how I would describe what I heard, and why my sonic priorities lead me to preferring the MSL. I understand that you feel the MSL is not in the same class as the ZYX. That is fine and why we all prefer different cartridges.

You may also continue to think that I don't know how to set up the ZYX as well as you do. I have no idea, but that is fine too. I am just a hobbyist. You are the professional.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tang, I look forward to your further thoughts comparing ZXY UNIverse Premium to Opus 1 and to vdH Master Signature after the ZYX cartridge is fully broken in.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interestingly, Peter, I interpret David's and Tang's and Kedar's reports to suggest that the vdH manifests even greater palpability and presence than the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Interestingly, Peter, I interpret David's and Tang's and Kedar's reports to suggest that the vdH manifests even greater palpability and presence than the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

Actually I cant say I get more palpability and presence from a particular cart I own than the others. They all have excellent suspension of disbelieve once setup properly. At this level of cart it is only about which one sounds a little more complete and which type of presentation you want.

Tang

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

It may well be dependent on system context and how the cartridge is set up and fine tuned. Or even upon the quality of the recording as Kedar is discovering. And, we all hear differently, so personally, I would not make definitive conclusions about other people's listening impressions given the incredible number of variables involved. View it as just a few more data points, as people say, our there in the shared audiophile experience, for you to digest.

I understand you are reading this stuff with interest in an effort to research the cartridge options for the system you are assembling. In the end, you can just go by what you read and samples you have heard in other people's systems, in those contexts and not in isolation. Then make your choice. Once your system is up and running, and broken in, and fine tuned, and settled, and begins to get sorted out, then you will have the chance to hear alternatives in your own system and really know only then which cartridge alternatives sound best to you on your recordings. That is still a ways off.

I've heard the ZYX in my system and reached my own conclusion. It may very well be different from yours and from others.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Indeed, we all hear differently. That is why this hobby is so intensely personal, with each person arriving at a very specific system configuration. That is also why any single system, no matter how 'state of the art', will never satisfy any and all audiophiles equally. Just ain't gonna happen.

And everything is to a certain degree system dependent.

In light of all the above, certain disagreements will never be resolved.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You will be surprised at how similarly people hear. Most of the forum noise happens due to different experiences, stubborn and defensive attitudes, and then different music. Many of the people have arrived at a system configuration not based on listening preferences, but based on buying behavior, which has nothing to do with listening preferences. They buy after reading online or because a tempting deal comes up. And then try to get some other deal to supplement what they just bought. Or they go to a show, or to a dealer, and buy within restrictions. Or they buy based on principle ("I will only buy well measured stuff, no valves"). If only systems were built on real listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing