XLR or RCA

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
I'm wondering if I should use XLR or RCA IC's. I'm curious as to why the DMC-30SL doesn't have more XLR inputs.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you are going between two truly balanced components, I would think you would always want to use balanced ICs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Apparently because they think people have more unbalanced sources than balanced.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Apparently because they think people have more unbalanced sources than balanced.

Maybe ... but knowing Spectral I think they have a technical reason for preferring RCA. However, my choice has been balanced because my dCS (elgar plus) really sounds better if it is connected balanced into my 360 (version 1)

ehoove

Dec 30, 2012
Balanced? Oh Yea!!

I use balanced between my ARC LS15 and my crossovers. I also use balanced between it and my Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD. While there is no distance issue, I feel the system sounds better balanced. I find it interesting that some manufacturers like Conrad-Johnson don't even offer balanced versions of their gear as an option.:confused:
Regards,
Jim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I use balanced between my ARC LS15 and my crossovers. I also use balanced between it and my Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD. While there is no distance issue, I feel the system sounds better balanced. I find it interesting that some manufacturers like Conrad-Johnson don't even offer balanced versions of their gear as an option.:confused:
Regards,
Jim

That's because Lew and Bill believe in "true" not "quasi" balanced configurations. As such, "true" balanced requires a complete mirror image of the said circuitry, thus roughly doubling the cost of the unit.

ehoove

Dec 30, 2012
That's because Lew and Bill believe in "true" not "quasi" balanced configurations. As such, "true" balanced requires a complete mirror image of the said circuitry, thus roughly doubling the cost of the unit.

I'm aware of that, due to several interviews I have read, However I would think that some die hard C-J fans would pay the fare as a custom build suited to their application. Since C-J is located just 40 miles from me, I really need to look into their gear.
Regards,
Jim

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It would take a major redesign to change to a full-balanced design if that is not what they have now. It would also be much more expensive in a tube design. Finally, I built a fully-balanced differential tube preamp ages ago, and people thought it was "too solid state sounding".

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Don. Perhaps I haven't been around the block as much as some here but I have to admit, this is the first I have ever heard of someone stating that a tubed piece of equipment sounded like an SS. While I have heard the flip side many times, I haven't heard this. That's a new one on me.

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello, Don. Perhaps I haven't been around the block as much as some here but I have to admit, this is the first I have ever heard of someone stating that a tubed piece of equipment sounded like an SS. While I have heard the flip side many times, I haven't heard this. That's a new one on me.

Tom

Oh, I've heard the same thing. In fact was auditioning one unit many years ago and my friend whispered in my ear, "this guy has succeeded where no one else has. He's managed to make a tube unit sound like a solid-state unit."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm aware of that, due to several interviews I have read, However I would think that some die hard C-J fans would pay the fare as a custom build suited to their application. Since C-J is located just 40 miles from me, I really need to look into their gear.
Regards,
Jim

I think the SE cj gear nee GAT and ART, hold up quite well against their balanced competition.

Nothing in life or audio is a free lunch.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Oh, I've heard the same thing. In fact was auditioning one unit many years ago and my friend whispered in my ear, "this guy has succeeded where no one else has. He's managed to make a tube unit sound like a solid-state unit."

I give you the ARC LS17 as one fine example of a tube pre sounding like a SS pre.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Several high-end tube preamps have been chastised for sounding "too solid state", including several ARC units (SP10, IIRC). Not sure I have heard it applied to any tube amplifiers.

Excepting certain unusual circumstances I am not sure there is a significant benefit to balanced runs for consumer audio gear.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Several high-end tube preamps have been chastised for sounding "too solid state", including several ARC units (SP10, IIRC). Not sure I have heard it applied to any tube amplifiers.

Excepting certain unusual circumstances I am not sure there is a significant benefit to balanced runs for consumer audio gear.

I sincerely doubt it was the ARC SP-10 because it was a pure tube preamp including the power supply and voltage regulation. More likely it was the ARC SP-14 which was basically a SS preamp with one tube in the phono section. Truly balanced components are known to have better S/N numbers than unbalanced components. We can argue how significant that is or isn't though.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

I will echo this statement. Perhaps a slightly blacker background would be what I have observed so far on various rigs. As for the tube pre sounding like an SS? Still a little surprised at that one but I guess you learn something everyday.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I will echo this statement. Perhaps a slightly blacker background would be what I have observed so far on various rigs. As for the tube pre sounding like an SS? Still a little surprised at that one but I guess you learn something everyday.

Tom

Go listen to an LS17 and get back with me.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, that's a pre and not an XLR or RCA cable Mark.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Don,

The SP10 sounding "too solid state"? I only remember the Stereophile debates about the SP9 and SP14 about this aspect. I have owned the SP10 mk2 and it did not sound like any of the other SS preamplfiers of that time - the Mark Levinson ML7, the Rowland Coherence or the Grodinsky. It had the characteristic "liquid" sound of tubes and even some fatness in the bass, although better control that the conrad johnson preamplfiers of that period. All IMHO.

Although I have no opinion on this matter some designers refer that systems using balanced cables are much less sensitive for cable quality, even for short distances.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, that's a pre and not an XLR or RCA cable Mark.

Tom

Tom-Here is your quote that I'm talking about:

As for the tube pre sounding like an SS? Still a little surprised at that one but I guess you learn something everyday. Tom

I don't know where the confusion lies. You said you never heard of a tube pre sounding like a SS pre and I told you to go and listen to an LS17 and get back with me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing